“Great hotel”

Belmond Governor's Residence
Ranked #1 of 159 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Beautiful hotel. Staff was the best- couldn't be nicer and more helpful. They made us feel extremely welcome. They were incredible.
The rooms were large and spacious. Totally recommend this hotel.i came back the last night of my vacation before flying out of Yangon and the staff remembered me and warmly welcomed me back. It made me feel appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pefuzzo

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Governor's Residence, located in the beautiful embassy area in Yangon, is one of the most elegant hotels my husband and I have ever stayed in. Our room was huge and attractively decorated, the bed was very comfortable, and the amenities were all that anyone could want.

We were welcomed by name in the warmest way at curbside, and the sense of feeling that the staff was happy we were there continued throughout our stay.

The breakfast buffet was superb; we just kept going back for more pastries. We had dinner in the outdoors part of the restaurant, and the service and food couldn't have been better.

It is wonderful to sit outside and look at the grounds with its multiple pools, towering trees, and gardens of lovely flowering plants, all beautifully kept.

During our visit to Myanmar, we stayed in four different hotels, all of which were nice, but The Governor's Residence was our favorite by far.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank alliharper
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Three nights in September at the end of the Monsoon season. The hotel is a former colonial building and is stunning especially at night.

Most hotels in this price range have similar amenities but what makes GR different is the staff who are nothing short of incredible - polite and helpful to a fault. Upon arrival we had a couple of issues which were sorted out immediately with efficiency and a smile.

The food was very very good with possibly the best breakfast of any hotel we've stayed at. The Upstairs curry option looked great but which we didn't sample.

The pool was immaculate and refreshing after a day out. The room had enough light, was comfortable, well furnished and the aircon worked perfectly.

Don't even think about the other Rangoon alternatives. You will love GR.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynton1
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My favorite hotel in Yangon, staff, breakfast is good, restaurant for lunch and dinner very good, wonderful environment, very nice rooms, unfortunately not many rooms and always very hard to get rooms unless you book one year in advance.

Room Tip: Very charming hotel in the heart of Yangon.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bonita B
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was lucky to book a room at Governor's - a colonial style, small hotel that felt like an oasis amidst the chaos of Yangon. There are gardens throughout the property and a lovely pool. My room was at ground level, which felt a little too exposed but it was very comfortable. Hard wood floors, very comfortable king bed, large seating area, room safe plus a desk. There was wifi throughout the property and very attentive, friendly staff. The bathroom had a large tub with shower and very nice amenities. There was a manager's reception in the evening (I am not sure if they offer this every day) with complimentary cocktails. The dining areas are beautiful - open air and comfortable. I had dinner here - it was their curry buffet which was excellent plus had a great breakfast the next morning; also a buffet.

The Governor's is my first choice in Yangon.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may feel too exposed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TrishaMD
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I travelled in Myanmar and stayed on my own in Yangon for 5 nights of gentle sightseeing before joining Road to Mandalay. No, I wasn't slumming it! I selected the Governors residence as it was in the burbs, had a garden and pool and 2 restaurants. I had in mind that I could sightsee and then relax in lovely surroundings and be able to eat on my own with a view of the garden etc, rather than with my nose in a book or stuck with room service. This was the perfect choice. Staying here was a real treat from the moment I arrived. My room was fantastic, on the ground floor settled in the grounds, I was very comfortable. I had a gigantic bed and a lovely L shaped sofa to spread out on, and a laughably huge bathtub. I had a flap when I realised that I had forgotten my mosquito repellent but a bottle was provided pronto and a plug in mosquito gizmo to safeguard the room. No need to sleep with one eye open! A welcome bowl of fruit awaited me and complementary bottled water x 3 provided fresh every day - very necessary due to the heat. There were a fair few guests but it was quite and restful. I loved the buffet breakfast and usually had the fresh fruit, freshly prepared juice and made to order omelette which set me up for the rest of the day. There were many other breakfast choices including the local fish soup which looked and smelled really good, but I wasn't brave enough. I sat on the verandah every morning for breakfast watching the fish in the pond or the birds in the garden and didn't eat again until the evening. I usually spent the late afternoon in the upstairs lounge - also open sided to a great view of the gardens and pool - for a cup of tea and reading my guide book ready for the next day. I ate in the hotel most nights and my favourite was the help yourself curry table served in the first floor restaurant. Particularly outstanding were the local salads (for the starter), very tasty and a relatively good selection of curries for the non meat eater. The grilled to order fresh water king prawns were delicious. I also liked the local deserts, really interesting flavours and with a good description available from the helpful and low key restaurant staff. My only gripe was the price, at $42 per person it's not particularly reasonable but you certainly get what you pay for. The ground floor French restaurant was not as good as I expected and I had a surprisingly average tuna dish and a chocolate fondant pudding with no molten gooey centre (surely a heinous crime for a professional kitchen). Strangely every course is served really quickly (why) and so you can be in and out in an hour which is not how you want your relaxing evening. The hotel is close to 2 good local restaurants to walk to and I tried one of them, and it made a nice change. Every day there is an activity of some description on offer by the hotel and I went on the circle line tour on the local railway with a return by local bus. I was the only one on the tour and I had Suzie from the hotel front desk take me on the tour, both of us looked like tourists and I only spotted one other European. It was a great trip, I recommend it and she was a very good host and looked after me really well. I had a massage whilst staying as there is a bijou spa service, it was very good and added to my general wellbeing. I recommend the Governors Residence wholeheartedly and would stay there again like a shot. I had the best of service from unobtrusive, interested and interesting people who were a delight. All in all a lovely oasis of calm and I was really chilled really quickly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Lisa C
GovernorsResidence, General Manager at Belmond Governor's Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Lisa C

Mingala ba from Yangon and thank you so much for your review

So good to hear that you enjoyed yourself,It is a great encouragement to see that you took the time to write such an detailed review on the Governors Residence.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back here sometime soon

With best regards

Thomas Henseler

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just back from 3 nights at the Governor's Residence and it was wonderful in all respects. The small size and the incredible staff-to-room ratio ensured incredibly attentive, personal service. The service combined with the hotel actually being a former private colonial residence made it feel like we were staying in a private mansion. The beautiful, large pool, which we often had to ourselves, was a welcome respite from the afternoon heat. The breakfast, included in the price, put every other breakfast we had in Myanmar to shame -- for traditionalists, the European chef ensured a delicious, ever-changing supply of traditional baked goods, house-made yogurt, smoked fishes, assorted cheeses, and made-to-order omeletes; in addition, there was excellent local fare, such as abundant, local fresh fruit and fresh-squeezed juice, mohinga (traditional fish soup) and assorted dumplings and curries. Breakfast is served on a peaceful, wooden terrace overlooking the pool. The open-air public spaces are perfect for relaxing and actually having a vacation! The hotel is in a quiet residential/Embassy neighborhood a short and cheap taxi ride to downtown (about $2 US one-way in August 2013); the hotel also has bikes available for free to check out the town (fairly compact and flat so easy and quick to explore by bike); the hotel has maps with suggested bike itineraries.

The cooking class is highly recommended -- it begins with a morning tour of a local downtown seafood, meat and vegetable market with plenty of opportunities to sample the local delicacies (The seafood and meat market in particular were in an underground labyrinth of sorts that it is highly unlikely we would have wandered across on our own so credit to Governor's House for taking us to a truly local place); you then return to prepare and eat some delicious food (including tea leaf salad) on the terrace overlooking the pool. My wife and I paid $40 each for the market tour, cooking class and the food. On the market tour, for which my wife and I were the only guests, we were accompanied by a hotel chef, a hotel food and beverage staff member and a third staff member! (we felt incredibly special and privileged to receive such a high level of service)

One comment about the price -- we booked a garden room for $260 a night, in part because it is low season. While this price is certainly high by Myanmar standards, a comparable hotel in the U.S. (if one even exists) would easily be double that price. Additionally, we stayed one night at the end of our trip at another highly regarded Yangon hotel (we arrived back into Yangon at 7pm and left the next morning at 7:30 so had no need for all of the Governor's Residence splendid services and instead just needed a bed basically) and paid $170 for a nice room that could not even compare to the Governor's Residence. Given the current relatively high costs of Yangon hotels, the additional cost of staying at the Governor's Residence over other Yangon hotels is not that much, at least in the off-season. Not sure if the hotel (or any hotel for that matter) is "worth it" if the price goes up considerably during the main tourist season, but as long as you can get this room for under $300, it is a splurge that will leave long-lasting, unique and pleasant memories. Finally, we did not eat at the restaurant outside of the included breakfast but I did take a look at the curry buffet offered one night and while it looked incredible and extensive, the cost was $42 US I believe, which does seem a bit much when there are delicious, local restaurants (such as Feel) nearby at which you can stuff yourself happy for about $5 US.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family