“Definetly most expencive in Yangoon”

Belmond Governor's Residence
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 19 April 2014

For over $500/night i did not find the value. It is a nice boutique hotel but I think they are charging a lot of premium for the brand. No views from my room, flies between the glass and window blinds. No internet working for entire night. You do not expect these from a $500/night hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Mike_YVR
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The governors residence was our first stop in Myanmar in what was always going to be a crazy 3 days. The property is amazing. After driving through smart albeit dusty suburbs you arrive at this calm oasis of water and greenery. The staff were throughout our brief 24 hour stay very warm and welcoming. As we arrived early we had breakfast on day one, followed later by a poolside lunch and an evening meal in the a la carte restaurant. The top floor restaurant is a buffet curry, which looked great but we preferred to sit downstairs by the floodlit pool. The dinner was excellent. It is rare that we have had 3 meals in one hotel all on the same day, but with the governors residence it was warranted. Rest assured we didn't just eat, there was a lot of sightseeing also squeezed in! The rooms are scattered through the back of the property, 2 storey villas mixed in with trees and lawns. Our room was huge and immaculate. We were on such a tight schedule that I didn't get chance to use the spa which was a shame. Overall this was a very enjoyable albeit brief introduction to Myanmar and is thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We began our 3-week trip around Myanmar at this exceptional hotel and were greatly surprised as we had been warned that Myanmar (Burmese) hotels were not quite up to other top class Asian hotels. Not so for The Governor's Residence (an Orient Express Hotel). The staff, overall ambience, food, gardens and our superb room were every bit as good as the best of Asia. And they even reserved the same room for us on our return at the end of our magical time in Myanmar.
A perfect beginning and ending to this amazing trip.

Room Tip: Garden room on ground floor overlooking a small pond - recently renovated
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I wish I could stay longer but in the one evening/night I had at the hotel I met the head chef, a very friendly/helpful/informative staff member, and the manager. Beyond being friendly, they explained all of the extra free activities they offer. We were currently enjoying their complimentary cocktail hour with local wines and sangria, they said they do locals tours, market tours, movie nights and who knows what else. I can't say Yangon was my favorite place in Myanmar but if you are going to be there, this is a very good option for a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Lovely short stay Hotel. We chose Burma to kick start our 25 night tour of Burma and Vietnam. The Burmese people are just so welcoming and friendly. We stayed 3 nights at this delightful hotel. The food was excellent . Drinks a bit pricey but still not as expensive as our hotels in England. We had a curry buffet on the 2 nd Evening, it was exceptionally good. Meats were cooked to order so really fresh. If I were ever to return to Burma I would most definitely stay at this hotel .

Room Tip: We stayed in the Governors Room. King size bed was a delight. Air conditioner worked well. Room serv...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel, characterful and charming. Everything about it is superb.. The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble. Even finding me extra lamps when I said my room was too dark. Me being stupid and not finding the light switches!!!, th service is excellent, the food superb I cannot fault this hotel in any way, tragically we are leaving tomorrow. I could stay much longer here. I hi I that anyone who could find fault with this hotel must be very very picky and would find fault in heaven!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay, ,Basking in the deep soul and unique ambience of the residence , from taking breakfast whilst watching the peacocks wandering the lawn , through to eating the exquisite food at dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel