We stayed at the Governor's Residence as we usually like the hotels in the Belmond chain, so I suppose we had very high expectations.
The hotel is beautiful, with lots of character and is an oasis of freshness and peace in Yangon.
The staff is charming, helpful and very welcoming.
However, the hotel clearly needs some refurbishing and is living on a past reputation of excellence which it no longer has.
We had chosen to stay in the family suite as we were traveling with our son and my mother. Their room amenities were minimal: the air con was barely perceptible, there were no cupboards for them to put their clothes and belongings away. So the four of us had to share the small chest of drawers and wardrobe that were in the master's bedroom.
Secondly, the common bathroom was only accessible from the master's bedroom so my mother and son had to systematically walk through our room to access the restroom -making all of us feel quite uncomfortable.
Finally, there was no cold water in the bathroom at the taps. We mentioned this to reception who sent over 2 people to attend to the problem, but they didn't seem to have any idea of what they were doing and actually did not fix it.
Concerning food, breakfast was great and plentiful, thus catering to all tastes and appetites.
However, the hotel restaurant was a major disappointment. Not that the food was not good, but it was average and very expensive for what it was [not mentioning the price of wine!!!]. Also noteworthy is the fact they do not have a kids menu.
We reported all this to management through their check out questionnaire and received an answer which, though offering us a complementary night at the hotel (which is pointless as we do not plan to go to Yangon before a while), did not really satisfy us as, at no point, did the management actually say that they were sorry about all this and simply told us that we should have reported it to staff.
All in all a disappointing experience: I can't say it was good, but I cannot say it was bad either.
However I would certainly not recommend to families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Governor's Residence in Yangon, Myanmar, is an imposing teak mansion hotel set in lush gardens. It's located within the elegant and lush green Embassy Quarter of Yangon, walking distance to the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda. This Belmond hotel offers luxury in fascinating surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar