“just average nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sedona Hotel Yangon

Sedona Hotel Yangon
Ranked #13 of 147 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“just average nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I visit Yangon every month and always look for a hotel which feels friendly, homely etc and reasonable value. I have stayed here previously prior to it being refurbished.
Difficult to really tell where the refurb was apart from some new paint and fittings here and there.
I dined in the Orzo Italian the food was almost average, but the hygiene was not average the table cloths looked like they had not been laundered for weeks, covered in stains of all kinds, eventually after trying over 10 tables I found one which was reasonable clean.
I decided to speak to the manager he was not bothered , his excuse was following the refurbishment (not sure what they did) they where waiting for new table linen so they had to use the old stained ones. What a sad excuse!
I next tried the brasserie the food was no better, in fact awful , I would have dined out the weather was just too wet to venture out.
They had a nice bar here, but have refurbished that and turned it into an Ice bar, quiet literally. If you venture there take a coat or warm jumper, not a lot of fun.

Room Tip: there is major construction on 2 sides of the hotel, so request for a lake view room, or just stay s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hubbleys
KLHM_Sedona, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Hubbleys, we apologise for shortfall in service you've encountered during your stay with us. The linens were inexcusable and we have taken steps to improve our products and services. We are in the process of menu changes and look forward to sharing our new offerings with our guests. We hope to have you back with us again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Listed as a 5* , priced as a 5* but it is really only 4 star at best.
Wifi very poor, situated on a busy main road and not really anything of interest close by.
Rooms are great. Lobby bar ok but situated in the main reception so very impersonal.
Chinese restaurant is ok but you would eat better in England !
Clean and staff are great but not worth the high price,

Room Tip: All rooms pretty much the same .
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Traci C
Dear Traci C, you would be pleased to know that our hotel rooms have been renovated and our WIFI bandwidth has been upgraded to one of the fastest in the city. The Lobby Lounge now boasts of an art sculpture, ‘Blossoming’, a blooming impression of exquisite lotus variety, Padonma Kyar, which grows into a large, fragrant flower by the Inle Lake. The sculpture rests on calm waters below a gentle rainfall, visually represented by the glass chandelier above. We can't wait to impress you on your next visit!
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I would like to thank your hotel personnel at the Business Centre division for her excellent support. Your customer care executive, Ms.Yatu took care of all my queries and service. Good customer service by front desk staff. She also provided timely and helpful advice regarding the email. She has a caring approach and she is a true professional. Please accept my gratitude towards her and your customer care staff for their speedy and efficient services. ( Thara )

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KLHM_Sedona, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Thara, we are glad that Yatu managed to create a lasting impression during your stay with us. It is our mission to extend warm Asian hospitality to all our guests and we are proud to have our staff step up as service ambassadors. We will definitely convey your feedback to the team and we look forward to having you back with us soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Despite having read reviews about noisy room renovations occuring at this Hotel we were pleased to find that all room renovations have now been completed. The only noise you are likely to experience is the construction of the Hotel additions surrounding the swimming pool.
We were pleasantly surprised to be given our requested room with a view of Inya Lake. This lake is just across the main road & provides a venue for pleasant walks.
The staff in this Hotel were welcoming,courteous & obliging & the wifi in the room was very good.
Be very wary of the "Grab & Go" convenience store in the Hotel complex - they attempted to short change us on several occasions - this was the only down side (apart from cost) to our stay at this Hotel & one that management needs to attend to.

Room Tip: Upper floor with lake view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear dalger1430, we hope you've enjoyed our newly-renovated hotel and we're glad to hear that you've enjoyed the Inya Lake view of your room. We are in the process of building Phase 2 of Sedona Hotel Yangon, which will showcase another 430 rooms with contemporary furnishings and state-of-the-art technology by 2016. You may have noted during your stay that the noise is kept to a minimal for the comfort of all our guests. Shops within the arcade are privately-owned and we will definitely address your feedback and investigate with the convenience store concerned accordingly. Thank you for highlighting it to us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Reception staff were terrible. Book for a room of 2 adults. My partner was attending business meeting so I check in alone. I was asked where the other party was and the staff making issues for not having 2nd person name on the booking I have already paid fully. The website I booked did not give me chance to enter 2nd person name. Hotel staff were questioning me still after I have explained and treated me like a criminal. They only gave me a ticket for 1 drink as welcome drink and said 2nd person can come and ask for it. Do I have to beg to get a drink at a claimed 5 star hotel??

On the day I checked out, I had to attend a meeting between 9am-11am. Hotel check out time is till 12 noon. I told the reception that I needed to come back to change my formal clothing to casual one but if I cannot come back before 11:30am I told them it is ok to take my luggage out. The moment I said it the reception staff said because there were many visitors they need the room now and ordered chamber staff to bring my luggage down immediately regardless of my request. I did not have time to argue at that point only to let them bullied. I felt I got kicked out before check out by the decision of reception staff. Luggage left at the lobby was not watched properly.

No exhaust fan in bathroom made after shower unable to see mirrors and clothing got steamed.

I had to ask an extra toilet roll as there was only one toilet roll for 2 adults and most foreign visitor have stomach trouble the first few days in the country. The chamber maid said it was the hotel management decision to only place one toilet roll and wait until another toilet roll was asked.

I requested a non-smoking room because of my asthma but I was placed on the 3rd floor smoking floor and that night I choked while asleep middle of the night because of the smoking smell.

Rubbish was not cleaned daily. There was no hand towel and it was provided only on demand.

I have to say, I am also Myanmar national living outside the country and felt just because I am local enough I was bullied by the staff. I feel just because I am local the staff think I should not require proper 5 star treatment asif I should not come to a 5 star rated hotel as a visitor visiting to Myanmar from another country.

I was staying at the 5 star rated hotel and missing the friendliness and far better treatment and service given by the 3 star hotel where I last stayed. I moved to another hotel called Hotel Yangon which was a 4 star but far better than Sedona in terms of cleanliness, the existence of the exhaust fan, caring and friendliness of the hotel staff, classy better and cleaner towel (all basic requirement).

On the whole, I did not get 5 star treatment at all at the 5 star rated hotel. Disappointed. I would not be going there again even if I was paid to go there.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above and check the room before settle in. Different hotels: My Hotel, 3 star rated i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dagmarka2014
KLHM_Sedona, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Dagmarka2014, we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We sincerely apologise for inconvenience you experienced. While we strive to provide a safe and secure environment for our guests and deliver our service efficiently, we acknowledge that we can improve on our service refinement. We regret that the non-smoking room request was not captured at reservation and upon check-in, which resulted in your discomfort. We provided the room move the next day. We have taken note of your feedback on guest amenities and will be implementing practices which anticipate guests’ needs more.

We would also like to highlight that the guest luggage area has constant security surveillance.

We welcome all our guests, from Myanmar and from around the world, warmly. We hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to our hotel.
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport, but near a very nice lake. Check in was delayed because room was not ready, but we had arrived at 11 AM so this was understandable. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel lobby was large with excellent space between the chairs or sofas so you did not feel crowded. Live jazz entertainment was available every night. The room was clean and we had no complaints. No ice dispenser on the floor so it was necessary to request ice. Breakfast was included and substantial, but not particularly notable. The meeting that I was attending had a function each night with excellent food and wine. They have a business center.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KLHM_Sedona, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear KUFBH, thank you for choosing to stay with us. That was the Inya Lake, the largest lake in Yangon, which you were looking at right at our doorstep. We hope you've enjoyed the entertainment at the Lobby Lounge. You will be pleased to know that our 5-member band plays every Sunday during Brunch in the Brasserie as well - so do come by for an enjoyable weekend soon. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Havelock, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Have stayed here before, year ago, the service is still excellent, price has gone up but if you do some searching you can get it at a better price. The room are comfortable with free water daily.
The fitness centre is nice and the business centre is very helpful. If you are doing business at the end if the day you do not need to leave as everything is there, be it for a price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear RTWorld, thank you for staying with us. We hope you've managed to check out our restaurants while you are here too. Just a little tip, do pop by our Italian restaurant, Orzo, on Wednesday nights for 'Pasta Night' on your next visit here. Enjoy the mouth-watering pasta buffet complete with delectable dessert spread. Oh, and did we mention that our chefs make amazing pizzas too? See you soon!