“excellent, go out of their way to please”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Melbourne, Australia
“excellent, go out of their way to please”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed 3 then another night and found the staff welltrained as compared to other places. The food was good and room comfortable & clean. They were very helpful. The area is interesting but hard to walk around, lots of people, hot and the footpaths are terrible. We could not fault the hotel.

Room Tip: At present they are renovating so ask for a room away from the work as it is noisy all day.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rhbeer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The hotel is under renovation and quite popular amongst foreigners. It's centrally located. The staff is extraordinarily polite warm and hospitable. Food needs to be improved. Too expensive they need to be competitive with the industry growing at a fast pace.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AnnuK16
louisville,colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. They upgraded me to the Club Level which was a nice surprise. I had a beautiful view of the Pagoda on the 22nd floor.
The staff was all amazing! And the breakfast was room was full of everything you would want.
I would highly recommend staying here. Only a block away is the markets and some great places to eat. It's also very safe to walk around in this area. I actually felt safe everywhere in the city.

Room Tip: High floor facing the Pagoda.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ljc65
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is a city that is clearly putting itself back together again - lots of construction and improvements are underway. The Traders is itself undergoing massive renovation. We stayed in a newly renovated club floor room and quite enjoyed the time at the hotel. The staff are impeccable and extremely thoughtful. Some elements could use improving (like the health club) but in general, this hotel will more than meet your expectations for great quality and great service in SE Asia. I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Yangon!

Room Tip: Book a newly renovated room (or a Club Floor room). Club lounge amenities are worth the extra fee; e...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SFO-World-Traveller
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 January 2013

As frequent user of Shangri La Group hotels, I was delighted to see that they had a sister hotel in Yangon under the TRADERS Brand.

So I went to http://www.shangri-la.com/yangon/traders and started making a booking 11th to 16th December 2012

At the end of the reservation, I was asked whether I would like to be picked up by the hotels Vintage Merc for I think USD 30, so I said why not !!! would be fun

I then called the hotel to find out whether they provided DVD players in Traders Club rooms to be told no, But we can provide them for USD 10 per hour !!!!, I told him to double check and email me his findings, which he did a few hours later by email now stating it was USD 5 per hour, I replied Forget it, will bring my own.

The 11th came along, arrived at Yangon International Airport, good operation, we were moved very quickly through immigration and customs and bags were already waiting for us.

Went out to fore court, saw the driver from Traders with my name on a sign. he asked me to wait and he would get the car, to my surprise no Vintage Merc (but a upscale Toyota or Nissan) 1997 !!!!, at this point I knew thing were going to go wrong !!

The driver looked hungry, so I gave him USD 10 and told him to take his wife and kid out for dinner, looked very grateful, at that point I asked him where the swimming pool was located in the hotel ? "sorry sir swimming pool close for 10 days under renovation" THEIR WAS ABSOLUTELY NO INDUCTION ON THE WEBSITE OR ON THE PRINTED RESERVATION FORM that it was closed !!

Then I asked him if their was any construction in the hotel, "yes sir their is a lot"" THEIR WAS ABSOLUTELY NO INDUCTION ON THE WEBSITE OR ON THE PRINTED RESERVATION FORM"

WE then arrived at the Hotel, waiting for me out side the hotel, were The General Manager, The Director of Rooms, The Food and beverage Manager, and the head of corporate communications (KL Shangri La had warned them I was coming)

Walked in Lobby, a lot of noise right hand side constriction 19.30 !!!

Was taken upstairs to my room, welcome fruit and wine nice.

The Management left, sat on the sofa and noticed white stains all over the soft, as an ex hotelier i Knew what it was "Dried Semen" pictures attached then I opened up the bed and found old tried spots of blood (pictures attached), sheets had been wash but should have been thrown away, but It seems traders likes to reuse them.

I called the management told them that I was coming down and would not stay in said room, sat in the lobby from 20.25 - 1045pm construction noise from renovation still continued.

They the management finally moved me to a Jr suite on the side of the hotel, but construction continued all 5 days 8am to 6 pm Mon - sat and they were still hard at work even on the day I left Sunday 16th

Shangri La hotels (group) should really instigate a new reservation system clearly warning customs whilst making a reservation with a large POP UP SCREEN stating please be advise that we are undergoing major structural and construction during said period, they did not (BUT NOW HAVE) it should also be printed in BOLD on the printed RESERVATION CONFIRMATION IT WAS NOT, thus giving a chance to clients to cancel or not (I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD HAVE AND NOT WASTED MY TIME AND MONEY) but have been told that it is now, TO late mate you spoil my holidays

The only indication pointed out by the GM was on the bottom of the Official website left hand corner in small, but not of the online RESERVATION SCREEN

so in conclusion I recommend that you call this hotel in advance, do not believe what they say on the net, and get confirmation in black and white before going their

Room Tip: Make sure that the sofa is clean and that the sheets do not have blood stains on them, and call in a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Dominique S
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
It is good to hear from you again and the team is always ready to welcome you back to our hotel and read your reviews.

We will make every effort to satisfy your requirements on your next visit to Yangon. Please feel free to let me know of your future travel plans at my emial address which is phillip.couvaras@tradershotels.com or contact me directly there may be something I can do to assit you further. Phillip Couvaras
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights before moving to the Strands. The hotel is centrally located which is nice however its your typical huge hotel with groups after groups coming in. The hotel pick up car was so so, i expected a much better car than the ones i got. Staff needs a little bit more training, food is so so, nothing much to rave about. The rooms is a good size but the AC is just extremely cold even if ive already adjusted the temprature, so i end up switching it off the whole night.

The one annoying thing about is that the hotel messed up the pick up of my husband and they didnt double check the bookings etc. The senior front office staff had the nerve to charge us the airport pick up in which they went to the afternoon to pick up my husband but his flight arriving Yangoon was in the evening. We argued that we wont pay for that since we didnt get the service and then after much thought from her side, she came to us while we were waiting for a taxi outside the hotel to tell us she will charge us 50% in which we complately told her with a big NO, were not paying any service we didnt get.

Upon check out, it took also a long time for them to issue the bill and the bell boy didnt prepare a taxi in advance in which we told them beforehand that we will need a taxi to move to the Stand. The hotel needs improvement i should say..

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that has a view of the Swedagon Pagoda.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eidref102
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thankyou for your recent review, it was regretable that we went to the airport to collect your partner at the incorrect time, but we are pleased that our team asssited you with your billing prior to leaving and we apologise for the delay on check-out.

We are delighted to inform you that since December we have aquired a new fleet of vehicles and I am sure that on your next trip you will be pleasantly transported from the airport. eidref102 , thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel and we look forward to you choosing Traders again.
Phillip C
New York, NY
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This hotel was comfortable and safe in Yangon. I am not sure of how centrally it was located as we had a driver take us everywhere, so I suppose it does not matter too much. We noticed the higher floors have been renovated (where we were staying) -- the rooms are nothing spectacular, but comfortable with modern amenities such as flat screen TV, free wifi, comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. DELICIOUS and wonderful breakfast -- you have so many options and it is all wonderful. Probably one of the better hotels in Yangon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends