“Has an "international" feel”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #6 of 161 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our last night of a 12 day Myanmar tour, and were quite happy with the decision. Compared to many of the other places we stayed in throughout the country, this hotel actually felt like it was oriented towards international tourists. It is managed by the Shangri-la group, so had many of the classy touches that Shangri-la hotels are known for. The room was lovely and had an amazingly comfortable bed. The wifi is also very reliable - a rarity in Myanmar! The hotel is in a great location within easy walking distance of the Sule Pagoda and the Bogyoke Market where you can pick up all of your souvenirs!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at the traders hotel in Rangoon, Burma - the hotel is going through a renovation so there was construction noise during the day and afternoon - when one is paying $260/night one expects peace and quiet but that didn't happen. Also when I asked the hotel tour desk to arrange a city tour, they were not able to help. After 3 attempts I gave up and arranged a city tour with a taxi driver - I expect more from a 5 star hotel. The rooms are large and clean - no complaints here and the staff is attentive. Breakfast is very good (buffet) and they were able to arrange a box breakfast for me since my departure flight was at 6AM. They do have a security system on entry but it seems to be used more as an exception than the rule (which is good). I had lunch at their Chinese restaurant and it was very good. Their prices are sky-high for most everything - in fact more than what I would pay for a similar hotel in Chicago

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

We have not ventured into the local tour business as most people have pre-booked plans – but thank you for your suggestion and we will plan to introduce a tour desk. Phillip

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We'd booked a room here for our last night in Myanmar and thought we'd splash out a little.

Arrived in a cab from the airport and there was a function of some kind finishing so the cab could not get tot he front door. We lugged our bags and then hit a security screening post (there was a bombing there 3 weeks before). Struggled through the metal detectors and joked with the security staff.

Lugged our bags to the reception counter (didn;t appear to be any staff around to help with bags or point out where it was).

We'd booked through Agoda (was about $270 US per night) and when we were checking were advised we'd only booked for one and breakfast for the second person would be an additional $50 US.

Patrons of this establishment fit the accidental tourist mould, consultants and NGOs. The room was OK but the non-smoking floor smelled of cigarettes. The rooms are like any large international hotel chain, you could be anywhere in the world and avoid contact with the locals so you felt like you had never left home.

If asylum from where you are travelling is what you're looking for you may like this place, but next splurge in Yangon will be the Strand, at least it has some character.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stuartnjane
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Excellent location, around the corner from Scott Market. We were able to access the Club Lounge on the top floor. We had breakfast there with amazing views of the Shwedagon Pagoda.
Staff was extremely helpful with any request/question we had.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a club room, which gave us access to the club lounge. Upon check-in, we directly were off to the happy hour-in which turned out to be our dinner. Everything was first-class. The room was perfect for the two of us. The Wi-Fi throughout the hotel was the best we experienced in Myanmar. Breakfast was out of this world.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I spent 6 nights at Traders in Yangon and found it to be an excellent base for my first visit to Myanmar. I elected to have the hotel's car collect me from the airport and paid a US$30.00 fee for the service. This was well worthwhile as my flight landed at around midnight. The hotel rep was there to meet me and he had me safely in the hotel 30 minutes after departing the airport.
While my room was comfortable, quiet and well maintained, it was not luxury. But one has to keep in mind that Traders in Yangon is the first international chain hotel to operate there and the staff do a superb job of performing to an international standard. Also, Traders hotels are meant to be business oriented, thus not luxury resorts. All appointments in the room functioned properly. But the star of the room's features is the high-speed internet, which was free. I have not had service like that anywhere - fast, uninterrupted, and reliable. My hat's off to Traders for this. It's something other hotels in other (perhaps more developed!) countries should copy!
The restaurants served very good food and I especially enjoyed a dinner in the Chinese restaurant on the 2nd floor.
My tours were arranged through the Concierge Desk, which can supply one with reliable information and make excellent car and driver arrangements.
The hotel is central and convenient.
My final comment after a very enjoyable stay: this is the best show going in Yangon at the moment. My highest compliment: I would go back anytime!
I give Traders Yangon an excellent rating because they really work to that standard. My highest compliment is that I would go back, anytime!

Room Tip: Try for a club room. The Traders Club is on a high floor and offers an excellent buffet breakfast...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

A great hotel in busy Yangon. Everything works, staff are extremely friendly and facilities are excellent. The pool is is an oasis from the outside noise, dirt and confusion, but nothing is ever overly cloying. When you need something, someone is there to help, but they don't continually badger to "help."
The security is a little over the top, but after recent bomb, it seems it cannot be helped. This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite hotels, and I spend a lot of time in hotels. It is relatively rare that I find no little niggle to mar an otherwise fine experiece, but at Traders there were niggles at all. Highly recommended. It could, as could almost everything, be a touch less expensive, but I feel I received excellent value for money. Cheap is most often a false economy that only leaves a little cash in your pocketbook and a lot of dissatisfaction in your mind. I do not travel to be dissatisfied.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business