It's difficult finding hotel rooms in Myanmar because there are so few…. and this wasn't actually top of our list in Yangon but it proved to be a good choice in the end.
The hotel is downtown, a short walk from the Sule Pagoda and near all the local markets. It's central and a great base to explore from if you want to see the real Myanmar.
There is a lot of security because of the recent bomb but it's nice to know that they're taking security seriously and trying to keep their guests safe.
The hotel itself is nicer inside than out. The hotel has a nice lobby and a lovely bar on the 2nd floor. That said, rooms are nothing special. They have everything you need - plus the bed is really comfortable with a great duvet - but they could perhaps do with a bit of a facelift.
The breakfast buffet is very extensive and the bar has happy hour from 5pm-8pm which is also worth trying. There are even complimentary hot bar snacks on a Friday which is a nice touch.
We did have a couple of issues:
1. The most disappointing aspect of the hotel is the pool area. It's a little soulless but that's not a big deal really…. what is a big deal, is that there are only 22 sun loungers (we counted them!) and it's a 20+ storey hotel. I know it's primarily a business hotel but it's not exclusively so and even it if was, business people often bring their partners when travelling. We came back after a long morning walking around the city to find that there was no space for us which just isn't acceptable.
2. We had room 805 which was really noisy as it was by the staff lift shaft. Initially, we thought it was building work still going on as they are currently renovating the hotel but that was not the case. The Manager Myo came up and confirmed it was the lift. He didn't give any indication that it was something he was aware of which is quite disappointing as we've just noticed in an earlier review from a previous guest that they reported the same issue for room 1105. Obviously all rooms ending in 05 should probably be avoided.
All in all, it is a really nice hotel and the staff are wonderful so I would definitely recommend it. We will actually be returning in a few days and hope to have a room away from the lift shaft!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 22 story Hotel centrally located across from Bogyoke Market, in Yangon's business, cultural & shopping district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sule Shangri-La Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Traders Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Sule Shangri-La Yangon Myanmar