“Cannot say this was outstanding value....but it worked”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Sydney, Australia
“Cannot say this was outstanding value....but it worked”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Getting there
Depending on time of day 45-60 minutes from airport ( dry season )
Location
Very central for business or for tourism.
Checking in and other gripes
Checking in I found somewhat frustrating as having previously specified several times in writing exactly what I wanted, non-smoking, king size, 18.00 departure etc. when I arrived the whole process had to be repeated and with scratching of heads I was assigned a room that had obviously been assigned to someone else ( welcome note…to the wrong person ). Having established that in fact I should leave at 17.00 on my last day in order to catch plane and that this would incur an additional fee ( agreed ) I felt the matter had been dealt with ( again ). On my last day I took the precaution of double checking, only to find again that it was as if the whole procedure and conversation on checking in and agreeing to late checkout….had never happened.
It was sorted, but to be frank I expect at this price to be able to get this right the first time…not the third time.
I was on a non-smoking floor and whilst I was there could not state that this was breached, nevertheless it had a sort of slightly stale, musty smell and windows you could not open. Air con though worked fine and it was not overpowering, I have experienced this in many hotels in China.
Whilst in the mood for griping, the room porter definitely made it clear he expected a tip after depositing luggage, which I always find somewhat irritating on arrival no matter which country as it assumes that the guests have had the foresight to stop at the airport and obtain local currency and suitable small change for tipping. I.E. after often a long flight we are expected to put ourselves out and fiddle around at the airport for someone who may or may not deserve a tip, for presumably ..putting themselves out….the logic and ethics of which I struggle to grasp in the context of customer service and welcome to hotel as it seems the roles have become confused….
19th flr Room
Not big and bathroom also modest with shower over the bath, but it all worked and bed comfortable. TV did not, but a phone call got the battery changed within 10 mins. Décor and quality of fittings was OK, nothing to get excited about, but all clean and well maintained, towels quite good quality. Internet was a little patchy but by and large worked better than I anticipated. Power supply is problematic, but hotel has own emergency generators which cut in relatively quickly. Quite a nice view over the city and down to the river but no pagodas from mine, but a cathedral in distance. Renovations were going on 13th floor during the day but to be fair this was made very clear at all stages of booking and checking in and on the 19th floor was not intrusive.
Club Lounge
On 21st floor was nice, the staff were attentive the food available for evening canapés and breakfast was extensive and good quality, the ambience pleasant and some very nice views over the city particularly in morning and evening with sun glinting off gilded pagodas etc. the only slight down side was the wine served during happy hour was local brew and have to say it is an acquired taste, suspect it would improve after the first bottle or so...........
Staff
Staff generally were polite and smiled and seem to have pretty good English. Did not eat at restaurant, but did have one room service snack which was fine.
I do not have a benchmark in Yangon, but am feeling generous and will give this 4 stars but with a remark on many of my school reports….can do better.

Room Tip: I would go for higher floors, club if you can and ask for Pagoda views, but make sure it is comprehe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Singapore_Sydney
Dave J, Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Singapore, Sidney
Thank you for the comments and the valuable feedback that you provided after your recent stay with us in Yangon. I sincerely apologize for the issues that you had to experience with our front office, this clearly also doesn’t meet our own expectations.
We pride ourselves on having our colleagues very well trained and these communications issues clearly show areas that we must improve in the future.
I am personally looking forward to welcoming you back and impressing you with better communication and an improved experience.
With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Goa Velha, India
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We were a group of 7 at Traders for 3 nights in late Feb & early Mar. The front desk did its best to get us the rooms we wanted...and succeeded! The hotel is at an excellent, well- connected downtown location and is a wonderful refuge from a hot, tiring business or vacation day.

Staff behaviour and cleanliness are top of my list and Traders comes off with flying colours on both counts. Highly recommended (though not a 'typical' Myanmarese experience)...even if a trifle expensive.

Room Tip: Look at the website and choose street or inard facing beforehand. Don't expect too many options...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel is a favorite of business travelers and it targets those on expense accounts. However, even with discounted rates it is difficult to justify the room rate as Traders Yangon falls short of the five-star category. The windows are not double paned so on lower floors there is noticeable traffic noise. The shower curtain had a strong mildew smell and the bathroom had evidence of algae.

The complimentary breakfast has a lot of choices but we found the Twinings tea served to be tasteless and tepid.

Security is tighter than at most other hotels due to the small bomb which exploded in a ninth floor room in October, 2013.

Tourists will likely find better value and a more delightful experience at other hotels but business travelers will like the central location and very reliable internet connection (something lacking at many other places in the city).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear 7J1AIL,
Thank you very much for your comments about your most recent stay with us at Traders Hotel, Yangon.
I am very sorry for the disturbances that you experienced and will certainly follow up on the cleanliness issues of the bathroom.
Security is something that we highly value here at our hotel and have greatly improved over the last few weeks and months, knowing that Myanmar is still a vulnerable country.
7J1AIL, I would like to thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future,
Best regards,
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed on two occasions at Traders in early March 2014. My room faced the front of the Hotel and was as quiet as you could ever want. Before I booked, I read reviews that there was lots of noise due to construction, and when I went to the pool I could understand why. I think it must have been the next door property - somewhere close there was very very loud construction noise which made the outdoor 5th floor pool experience pretty forgettable. The rest of the hotel experience was great, and although I am not sure, I think the double glazing in the windows would pretty much prevent any serious disturbance inside.

Room Tip: At the moment be safe and ask for a room above the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The moment we entered the grand lobby of the Traders Hotel in Yangon, its luxurious decor and elegant ambiance testified it’s a Shangri-la brand in terms of style and charisma. This came out very true during our three night stay at the property conveniently located in the heart of the city, known as Rangoon till 1989.The hotel has over 300 rooms all of which are of contemporary decor complete with executive style furnishing. Our room at the Traders Club floor was privy to best of comfort and facilities. The breakfast served at the Traders Club lounge was more than adequate but the buffet spread at the Traders Cafe was huge. You can get there anything from sausage and eggs made to order and noodles to parathas and dosas even. One afternoon we had buffet lunch there and the spread was again varied and huge. The fried fish and prawn curry were inviting and delicious. As guests of Traders Club we were invited to cocktail functions at the Club Lounge every evening from 5.30 to 7.30 pm. While unwinding after a long day of sightseeing, we enjoyed mingling there with other guests, sharing experiences, sampling delicious canopies and drinking Myanmar beer at the same time gazing at the illuminated Shwedagon Pagoga, the city’s star attraction. The hotels concierge is very well informed and provides guidance on what and how to explore the bustling city according to your choice and taste.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

When we arrived for our first stay we'd paid a premium for an early room check in having got to the hotel at 6.30 am. The room wasn't ready and at 11am we were allocated a room right next to deafening building works when we needed to sleep, and had to change. Refurbishment work is very much in progress, so watch out for possible noise problems. That said, the staff are charming and mainly efficient. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The buffet on the ground floor offers a great breakfast and in fact the food is extremely good for lunch as well.

Room Tip: Check where the building works are being carried out at the time
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a brief stay at this hotel, as we arrived at night and left again after only one day. But we were impressed by the service, the excellent buffet breakfast and the superb location.Considered it belongs to 'Shangri-La' Group, we think that the price we pay for the room was quite good.We will definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends