“Beware of pickpockets and disinterested hotel management.”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
“Beware of pickpockets and disinterested hotel management.”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This a business hotel NOT for travelers. The elevators (lifts) are packed with people and bags and slow at peak hours and the curbside immediately outside the hotel is also very busy at these peak times. The hotel looks secure by having a fence around it and airport style baggage x-ray scanners as you enter the hotel. I have stayed at the hotel three times. The first time I stayed at the hotel there was chaos curbside, with lots of people and no hotel baggage handler porters available. My car was there and I picked up two large suitcases and took them to my car, which was waiting. As I walked to the car someone bumped into me and swung me around violently. It was only when I sat in the car that I realized that my Nikon camera had been pulled out of a deep front trouser/pant pocket, by which time it was too late. Stupid me for having the carrying handle hanging out of my pocket. This was a skillful well executed theft.
I reported the incident to the hotel manager, who was not interested and told me to go across the road and report it to the police. The hotel manager told me the police would take my passport and that I would not be allowed to leave the country until the case was resolved. Since I was leaving, I was not about to go to the police station! There are at least three cameras in the area in which I was pick pocketed, which fact I pointed out to the manager, who was not in the least bit interested or concerned. I asked if there were lots of theft and pickpocket problems. After thinking for a while, I was told, no. I suspect the pickpocketer was a cab driver as they seem to be allowed to "hover". I now stay at the Governor's Residence hotel, which is significantly better than Trader's in every respect and well worth the extra cost.
Be careful with your possessions despite Yangon historically having a good reputation!

Room Tip: This is a business hotel, not a quaint Myanmar hotel. Standard global hotel room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rtzan
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
It was really concerning to read that you had an unpleasant experience outside the hotel, however we have spent time to go through all the CCTV footage and managed to locate the coverage of your departure. We can confidently say that your camera was not taken by anyone during the time you left our hotel entrance and got into the car. We have an excellent record of reuniting our guest with missing phones and laptops sometimes left in taxis; but it’s regrettable on this occasion that we are not able to say we succeed. On behalf of us all here, we extend sincere apologies for what must have been your special memories taken from you. Rtzan,your experience has been a discussion with us and we are concerned that as many more people flock to Myanmar these situations that one would not hear about a few years ago may now begin to be occurring. We will be more vigilant and thank you for alerting us. Please accept my apologies for one of my team not being more sympathetic to assisting you . If there is anything further I can do at phillip.couvaras@tradershotels.com. Phillip Couvaras

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Beijing
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city at the edge of China town, near to City Hall and the Sule temple. Access to the hotel is great, travel is busy but moving. The hotel staff delivered excellent service, with a welcoming and warm smile. Security was reasonable and not intrusive. English was readily spoken at the front desk. I was a bit surprised to be asked to show my room key (a blank door card) by a guard to the lift lobby, a bit strange for added security if it is any security at all. The concierge was helpful with suggestions to visit places of interest. Check-in was efficient and amenities well appointed. Room is clean and fresh every day. International breakfast is adequate and interesting inclusion of some asian staple (Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Thai). The popular Scotts market and the railway station was just round the corner off the hotel. St Mary's church was a short walk further up the road. It was very convenient to take a stroll around and walk over to the jetty. I tried to change some USD to local Kyats at the front desk but they ran out of cash. No problem though as there is a money exchange shop just opposite the hotel. Really nice location and convenient.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Siingapore
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Traders Yangon never fail to surprise me. It is one of the most luxurious hotels in Yangon. But, a bit on the expensive side. The rooms are decent, and the bed is comfy. Your expectations will be met here.

But, in my recent stay, the room rate was changed. It was more than what I booked on their Shangri-la site. The check-in staff acted nonchalant about it though he said he would follow up, which he did not in the end. However, on the next day, a front office manager handled my enquiry, and she was superb. As a form of apology, I was given some fruits, and pastries with a personal apology note in my room. Nonetheless, you would not wish to have such an experience given that I booked the room direct from their own web site. Do speak up and request if you must based on my experience here at Traders.

While the stay was superb and comfortable, I do have a little reservation about Traders Hotel Yangon. I feel that the staff here are all willing to go an extra mile to help, but did react differently to Myanmar guests. Many of the staff would react uninterested and sometimes rudely if you start speaking in the Myanmar language to them. I do not understand this as it is in Yangon, and yet they seem to be treating the English-speaking guests better and more politely than own Myanmar guests. I think the management needs to do some sort of reminder that all guests are equal regardless.

Room Tip: Speak in English even if you are Burmese. They will treat you better based on my observations.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thanks for you review, and I will look into why there was a difference in your rate. Your observations are noted and I have not observed this, but will now make a particular point of watching my colleague’s interaction with guests taking careful note of the experience that you shared. It is unusual as you mentioned Oscar T , particular as we have been intensely focused on training on giving every guest a Shangri-La experience they will remember. Many of our colleagues are trying to learn English fast at the moment and try and practice speaking at every opportunity so this may have something to do with this , but rest assured I will look into it , Phillip Couvaras
Melbourne
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My friend and I spent a few days here in early Jan 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was centrally located which made getting around very easy. We had booked a Club room and were very pleased that we had as the views over the city were excellent as was the food and service. In fact 'Happy Hour" was so good, we didn't actually need to have dinner afterwards. Definitely liked the red wine! Breakfast was included in our tariff but we decided to have it in the Club Floor restaurant as it was less busy, though it's menu was not as extensive. The pool was a pleasant haven after sightseeing and the strawberry daiquiris were excellent. I had a wonderful pedicure one afternoon and would heartily recommend it. It was probably the best I've ever experienced and was reasonably priced - US$20 or US$25. Our room was very comfortable and well supplied with toiletries etc. The staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. I would definitely stay there again. We also spent 1 night in another 5* hotel near the lake and our experience was totally different. I would never stay there again!

Room Tip: I loved having a Club room as it meant we could access the Club facilities.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sheffield. UK
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were booked in here by Trailfinders for a couple of nights before a 19 night tailor made tour and river cruise. Despite the noise from the refurbishment both in the hotel and at the building next door which affected the pool area, we had a pleasant and relaxing time. The breakfast buffet was excellent and we ate at the cafe one evening where the menu was extensive and relatively good value. The staff were a delight and unfailingly helpful, rooms and beds were comfortable and the pool refreshing after the heat.
Our Halifax (UK) MasterCard was accepted at the hotel but we were unable to use it to withdraw cash at various ATM 's we tried. When exchanging dollars you get a better rate with $100 notes than smaller denominations. Dollars are widely accepted but not everywhere and Kyats are still needed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have been a few times at Traders in Yangon, not for private but for business reason instead. It has been quite okay last year but with beginning of this year, a few things have changed. Unfortunately in a negative way. The management (most of them are from Belgium, France or Switzerland) is spending a lot of time to "track" the customers to see where do they go or what are the doing. The cameras in nearly every corner of the hotel help a lot to "spy" around, which seems to be a new hobby of the people in charge. For example : I have been sitting in the ground floor to get my dinner, but the waitress forgot my order and I left back to my room to eat some small snacks instead. Five minutes later the phone has been ringing 3 or 4 times, I did not pick up because I was not in the mood to listen for any excuses. Next day after at the breakfast lobby, one of the middle management person came to me and told me sorry for last night becausing of forgetting the dinner. I said "No Problem, all fine". Than the person told me that they have tracked me with the camera to see where I go. And I was really badly surprised about this information. They tracked me all the way from the lobby, through the hallway, up the elevator until to my room ? I have been in many hotels around the world, but this is just not acceptable and against any privacy !
Another funny topic : I had a gin-tonic once at the club floor, which I was thinking would be okay since I am an Jade Member who spent more than $15000 last year at Traders in Yangon. But I was thinking wrong, because one of the young ladies told me the day after, that her Management was asking why I am at the club level, without booking the club room, and why did I drink an gin-tonic ?
Yeah, it really seems this place is a bit out of mind for the time being and the Management people like to be a "bit" fuzzy and arrogant. Nothing against the local waitress and service people, they doing there job just great and act always friendly. But the managemen, without comments...
This two reasone are just a few of many, and that is the reason why my company has decided not to put our people in Traders Yangon anymore. Park Royal and Sedona offer more privacy and better service, specially from the Management level.

Room Tip: Room at the club level
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank LittleTiger2014
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
It is always welcome to receive feedback as this helps us make improvements. It was not a pleasant experience reading your review, and I apologise if you ordered a meal that did not come in time. I would like to investigate this , as well as try to establish the events around the incident you reported in the Club Lounge. LittleTiger2014 please can you email me some more details so that I can investigate and respond to you. My email is phillip.couvaras@tradershotels.com .

We have extensive surveillance in the hotel and the perimeter of our building and this is installed for the protection of all our guests, their property and visitors. I look forward to hearing from you and I am sure that we can make you feel welcome and part of the service to our guests that we strive to deliver, Phillip Couvaras
Male
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Feel totally let down, we decided to have a meal in the bar on the second floor we were served by very polite staff who could not do enough for us but as we began our meal three people to our left lit up cigarettes. I called over the manager to express my anger and he explained that its not required in Myanmar. I expect more from an international Brand as Traders my food stank along with my clothes, i could not leave fast enough

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrevorT-Bone
Dave J, Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear TrevorT-Bone,
I would like to thank you for your comments and the feedback provided after your recent stay with us at Traders Hotel, Yangon. I apologize for the subpar dining experience that you with us. We have made recent changes with regards to the smoking policies at the hotel.
Our Gallery Bar is now the only place at the hotel at which smoking is still allowed, due to the ‘pub environment’ that we offer in that restaurant, so almost all areas of the hotel are smoke free.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back and hope you will find our improved smok- free environment pleasing.
Best regards