This a business hotel NOT for travelers. The elevators (lifts) are packed with people and bags and slow at peak hours and the curbside immediately outside the hotel is also very busy at these peak times. The hotel looks secure by having a fence around it and airport style baggage x-ray scanners as you enter the hotel. I have stayed at the hotel three times. The first time I stayed at the hotel there was chaos curbside, with lots of people and no hotel baggage handler porters available. My car was there and I picked up two large suitcases and took them to my car, which was waiting. As I walked to the car someone bumped into me and swung me around violently. It was only when I sat in the car that I realized that my Nikon camera had been pulled out of a deep front trouser/pant pocket, by which time it was too late. Stupid me for having the carrying handle hanging out of my pocket. This was a skillful well executed theft.
I reported the incident to the hotel manager, who was not interested and told me to go across the road and report it to the police. The hotel manager told me the police would take my passport and that I would not be allowed to leave the country until the case was resolved. Since I was leaving, I was not about to go to the police station! There are at least three cameras in the area in which I was pick pocketed, which fact I pointed out to the manager, who was not in the least bit interested or concerned. I asked if there were lots of theft and pickpocket problems. After thinking for a while, I was told, no. I suspect the pickpocketer was a cab driver as they seem to be allowed to "hover". I now stay at the Governor's Residence hotel, which is significantly better than Trader's in every respect and well worth the extra cost.
Be careful with your possessions despite Yangon historically having a good reputation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 22 story Hotel centrally located across from Bogyoke Market, in Yangon's business, cultural & shopping district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sule Shangri-La Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Traders Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Sule Shangri-La Yangon Myanmar