“Great location; poor value.”
Review of Savoy Hotel Yangon

Savoy Hotel Yangon
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
London
“Great location; poor value.”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

A disappointing experience. Service was polite, but with no genuine warmth. The room was very large and comfortable, and the hotel ambience was quite nice. There was work by the pool, which made it unusable and there is now a monstrous and utterly pointless footbridge over the pool - the hotel website photo no longer reflects quite an ugly reality. A very short walk to the Shwedagon paya. Breakfast was buffet style, but nothing special. Frankly, not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prippit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The hotel is a really charming colonial building. However, my night stays in an executive suite became a terrible nightmare as I had to share the bed with several bedbugs. I didn't expect the blood suckers in a top hotel in Yangon. I met bedbugs before in a truly lousy guesthouse in Chin State, but never in Yangon. Still one week after leaving the Savoy the 100s of bites are clearly visible and itching terribly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Gerhard2609
Uniteam, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
We regret that your stay with us was not satisfactory. At the Savoy Hotel, we go to great effort to ensure the highest standard of hygiene and service. Rest assured that our mattresses are clean and in good condition. We have often experienced with guests that itching insect bites and skin reactions to food allergies - sometimes due to the hot and humid climate - break out several days later while traveling. We can confirm that during the time of your stay at the Savoy Hotel and after no other guests have had similar problems. We remember offering you to change the room which you declined. We hope that you get well soon.
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here with friends in late July/early August 2010. It was a wonderful find thanks to TripAdvisor. We had a huge room, which was spotless. The breakfast staff were very helpful, and the meal was satisfactory. While there were other guests in the hotel, it seemed like we were almost the only ones there.

The exchange rate for USD to kyat at the desk was excellent, better than we found in most other places in the city. The staff were able to get us taxis even in the rain with seemingly no trouble at all.

We will stay here again when we return to Yangon on the way to Bagan.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quiet, but the view over the front garden is also quiet pleasant. Hug...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnK2
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful colonial hotel with a friend. Stepping into the hotel is like stepping back in time to British Colonial Burma, and throughout the hotel are lovely antique knick-knacks, pictures and furniture that is a delight to see. The rooms are large and charming, with wooden floors, and furniture that is a throw-back to a more romantic era. Every room has a big wooden wardrobe, a big wooden desk, a sitting area and complimentary slippers. There are lots of little touches like a fruit plate with interesting local fruit, plus a plate and knife to eat it on! There are many sitting areas throughout the hotel, a bar, a restaurant (excellent food!), a lounge, and a lovely pool area with sitting area. When we ate in the restaurant (Kiplings) we loved all of the meals that we ordered and were impressed with the complimentary appetizers (tiny but beautifully arranged) and bread. The breakfast buffet is very nice (breads, eggs, sausage, fruit, potatoes) but gets more depleted near the end of the breakfast hours. When we needed to leave early one morning, they provided a lovely in-room breakfast at 5 a.m. including an omelette for me, and hard-boiled eggs for my husband, plates of sliced meats and cheeses - pretty nice! When we went swimming in the charming outdoor pool (never anyone else there!), a staff member immediately appeared to offer us towels and to ask if we wanted a drink. The staff (just as it seemed to us, all people throughout Burma) were friendly and kind, and went out of their way to help us. The first room that we were put into was beautiful but had a very unpleasant smell, however complaining at the desk led to our immediate and cheerful move to another room. No argument - in fact when a staff member went up to our room to help us to move our bags, he agreed "Very bad smell". Our next room was equally lovely and had no smell. TIP: There are NO ATMs in Myanmar and most places do not take credit cards. You must bring cash (American dollars are especially easy to exchange) into the country with you!!! This seems scary, but in actual fact crime is very, very uncommon in Myanmar and we never felt at risk. Government money-lenders are few and were ALWAYS closed when we tried to change money, but money can be changed on the blackmarket easily at any hotel or with any guide. We changed money (from American dollars which we brought with us into the country) to Myanmar currency at the hotel desk. We were disconcerted that the money we were given by hotel staff seemed much bigger and older than Myanmar bills we had previously received by a guide. However, they assured me (and were right) that there is no issue with any Myanmar money being received, no matter how old, big, decrepid etc. Note, however, that only pristine, unmarked (even by a tiny ink mark), unbent, unripped, unworn American bills are accepted for exchange. It took me quite awhile at my bank back in Canada to go through their bills to find acceptable ones, and even then, some of the bills I thought were fine were rejected! Strangely BIG bills are preferred ($20 or $50 are especially appreciated) and get better exchange rates! So much for all the one dollar bills I brought thinking that they would be useful!

Room Tip: Stairs and no elevator may limit some disabled or elderly travellers access to third floor rooms. S...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank intrepidpam
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2011

First let me say, the staff kept the rooms spotless, the food served here was good, and the staff was kind, professional....and working under an iron fist. This extraordinary fat German white man "manages" this place. He barks orders at staff and berates them in front of guests. Two weeks in Burma and I only met amazingly dignified people with a lot of integrity and absolutely beautiful. I get to the Savoy my last night in Yangon and this big fat man is yelling at his staff first because the big fat slob spilled spaghetti all over the front of his shirt (that was bound to happen he was eating 5 servings) and why is this the staffs fault? He actually called them "idiots". He will sit in the back business center seeking a one person audience from behind his computer as he does nothing more than bark orders and eat. I think he is a disaster and should be kicked out of the country. I would not support this hotel for any reason other than to visit the staff and see how they are holding up under the fat tyrant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank MyAbundance
Uniteam, Owner at Savoy Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
We were very sorry to hear that you have come to have such a poor impression of the hotel's management.
Never have we had any comments alike from our guests. But we do respect that this is your very personal opinion.

We apologize for this inconvenience and want to thank you nevertheless for sharing the positive impression that you have had of the hotel's staff and their professional performance.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed in this hotel on 19-24th July 2011. This is the 2nd stay here and I enjoyed the stay. The service was good and the location next to several good eating places makes it an easy place to stay. The only drawback during this stay was that there was inconsistent supply of hot water but I was told that it was being fixed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Moichee
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 July 2011

After a very enjoyable stay at this beautiful hotel, with spacious rooms and friendly staff, I realised that I had lost my iphone. After leaving my email details with the reception team, I thought my phone was lost forever. One month later, I was amazed to receive an email from the hotel, they had found my iphone between the mattress and were contacting me to find out how to return it! Since I am based in Singapore and the process for sending a phone in the international mail from Myanmar is complex, the hotel then embarked on a above and beyond the call of duty process of arranging for another guest travelling back to Singapore to return the phone to me. A few days ago my phone was returned, packaged in a protective box and in perfect condition!

I cannot thank the hotel enough for all their help and would highly recommend a stay at this hotel over any other hotel in Yangon.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple