We were deciding whether to stay here vs. the Strand or Governor's Residence. We wanted a pool and it's significantly cheaper than Governor's, so we booked at Savoy Hotel.
When we arrived, we discovered that the pool was closed for a week. We felt deceived because it's clearly the main feature that they promote on their website, and we had been given no advance notice by management. Without the pool, there's no reason to stay here over the Strand. So soon after we arrived, I called the manager on duty to let them know that the main reason for our staying at the hotel was now gone and asked if they could give us a discount or some other make-good. Hearing no response, I called back later to find out that the general manager was not willing to offer any discount. Instead, we would be offered late checkout for one room.
Not only is late checkout an obviously lame make-good, since any decent hotel that's not fully booked would just offer this by default, but we had already told them that we were leaving the hotel before 6am the next day - no need for late checkout. I asked to speak with the general manager, who apparently was the only one that could make any decision. We were told that he leaves the office at 5pm, and we couldn't speak with him until after 9am the next day - again, we would already be gone.
When we went to check out at 4am the next morning, the full $200 bill was waiting for us. Never got an apology from the manager, or any follow-up. I very rarely write reviews, but I was so shocked with the poor service from a small boutique hotel. Usually they have the business sense to realize the importance of their service reputation. Honestly, they could have had offered us a free $5 cocktail when we got there to make it better, but they did nothing at all. It just felt totally deceptive.
So based on this experience, I felt the only way to get the point across was to write a review on the web. Hopefully they'll improve because it is a nice place.
A couple days later we spent a night at the Governor's Residence and it was a world of difference. Definitely a bit more expensive but the staff was perfectly attentive, we got a late checkout without even asking, and we were spontaneously comped for our last round of drinks at the pool. Stay there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Savoy Hotel is a four star colonial boutique hotel committed to personalized and attentive service. It is ideally located in a picturesque area of Yangon overlooking the Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar’s “twinkling wonder” and nearby the People’s Park. All 24 deluxe rooms and six suites express the charm of “the old days” with traditional Myanmar antiques, teak furniture and spacious bathrooms. Nicely overshadowed by tall old trees, the large pool with its lounge area makes the Savoy Hotel a silent oasis in the middle of the buzzing city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Savoy Hotel Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Myanmar