We stayed in The Savoy twice during our trip to Myanmar, once at the start of our holiday and again at the end as Yangon was a good base for getting to other areas in Myanmar.
We had a great stay on both occassions. It's a lovely charming boutique hotel, full of Myanmar colonial charm. I can imagine this is a good alternative to paying the much higher prices to stay at the famous colonial hotel, The Strand. The staff were great and generally helpful, particularly the bellboys who helped us flag taxis to get around the city.
We had a standard "deluxe" room which was really nice (rooms 306 and 307). I loved the colonial style. Great size, comfy bed and clean. Only downsides were the room lighting was a little limited and left the room feeling a bit dark and the shower was unexpectantly really weak for an otherwise near perfect room.
Internet access was superb in both our room and communal areas which is a major plus in Myanmar. The breakfast buffet was nice and there was a great pool area which we had the pleausre of using during the day of our last day.
We ate once for dinner at the hotel restaurant (Kiplings). It was ok but overpriced. I'd recommend the place across the road for a convenient bite to eat (Friendship restaurant) which had great food.
Location-wise, I got the impression it wasn't as convenient as the big hotels which were downtown (e.g. Traders/Shangri-La) so it took a bit of an effort getting taxis to places when we weren't with our guide but if you can overlook this, overall, we had a great stay at The Savoy. We didn't hesitate going back to The Savoy for our second stay. A lovely boutique hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Savoy Hotel is a four star colonial boutique hotel committed to personalized and attentive service. It is ideally located in a picturesque area of Yangon overlooking the Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar’s “twinkling wonder” and nearby the People’s Park. All 24 deluxe rooms and six suites express the charm of “the old days” with traditional Myanmar antiques, teak furniture and spacious bathrooms. Nicely overshadowed by tall old trees, the large pool with its lounge area makes the Savoy Hotel a silent oasis in the middle of the buzzing city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Savoy Hotel Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Myanmar