“I wish I could have stayed longer”
Review of Savoy Hotel Yangon

Savoy Hotel Yangon
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Bellingham, Washington
“I wish I could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Yangon is a tough city for rooms. Either they are very good and very expensive, mediocre and expensive or cheap and normally rented by the hour.

The Savoy falls into the first category. Very good, but it comes at a cost. In a city similar to New York or San Francisco the cost of a night's rest at the Savoy would be a bargain. In Yangon I was expecting at least a third less.

The hotel is one of those classic hotels of yesteryear updated to modern standards. The hotel was nearly fully booked so my choice of rooms was limited and I was only going to spend around 12 hours there anyway so room 103 on the ground floor with a wonderful view of the parking lot suited me fine.

The room has beautiful teak (I assume) flooring and is appointed with everything you expect in a hotel of this caliber. Large King sized bed, festoon with pillows galore of various weights and hardness. A snow white duvet and air conditioning strong enough that actually using the duvet is a real option. Television of course (I didn't watch any TV so no comment on programming or signal quality). A good strong WiFi signal and bandwidth a little broader and faster than most I experienced in Myanmar. A writing desk and chair rounded out the main room. The room wasn't large by anyone's standards, but large enough for one night. If I stayed longer I would probably be spending a lot of my time poolside or touring the town. 103 could get small after not too many hours. There was one unique feature that I had not seen in my entire time in Myanmar, a clock ! It was one of those old fashioned styles with the round face and the bells on top. At first I thought it was merely a decoration, but the time was set to the correct time, so I imagine it worked. I put my trust in my iPod.

The bathroom had the three fixtures you would expect. Sink, toilet and shower. For me it was fine, though to the mold phobic if you looked down in the corner of the hinges to the shower door and looked really hard you could indeed see some mold. Bath gel, body lotion and shampoo were in small vase shaped glass bottles with heavy solid glass stoppers. As well as many little boxes of things that probably held shower caps and Q-Tips and those sort of things. Hair dryer of course and towels.

The ubiquitous mini-bar was of course there. There were four half liter complimentary bottles of water, a hot water kettle, coffee and more kinds of tea than I understand.

The room was quiet in spite of it being next to the entrance and parking lot. The thick curtains did a wonderful job of blocking the outside ambient light.

I went in search of food and found two options. A French restaurant Le Bistrot and the Captain's Bar. The bar had a nice menu of easy to eat with a drink in your hand kind of food. I guess you would call it 'Bar food'. It looked interesting, but the bar was the most happening place in Yangon. It was packed to the rafters with merrymakers. Probably THE place to be in Yangon. I opted for Le Bistrot, a much more sedate venue for dining and writing for me.

I pretty much had the place to myself, it was still early. The goat cheese salad was large enough to share, with great flavors and textures. The duck in pepper sauce was cooked just right and presented on a piece of slate with baby carrots (just a hint overcooked) and some very nice mashed potatoes. I have had red meat (steak) in pepper sauce but never duck. It was a great combination. The house French Chardonnay was a very good choice. Apple tart with ice cream to finish and a near perfect meal. Add great presentation of the dishes and the staff attentiveness, but not over so, I had a great meal for little more than the Olive Garden would have cost me at home.

I can not come up with enough superlatives to describe the staff, from the greeting at the door to the closing of the taxi's door the staff were absolutely outstanding. I would love to give special accolades to the mature smaller man who met me at the door and escorted me to the room, but I was in such a check-in tizzy that I forgot to get his name.

I give my stay the full five stars and would have loved to experience the Savoy a little longer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DorothyMacaw
GM-SHY, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear DorothyMacaw,

Greetings from the Savoy Hotel Yangon!

Thank you for taking the time to write such an I depth review about your stay; needless to say we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely hope that next time round you have more time to enjoy the rest of our facilities and truly enjoy the Savoy experience.

Alex Ruether

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northleach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Walking distance from the Shwedagon, this is a beautiful hotel, attractively furnished and full of colonial-style character. Ask for a room overlooking the pool – they are slightly larger with small balconies.
Rooms are spacious with work desk and multi-country plug sockets. Wifi is good.
There’s a large pool – that can also be used by non-residents for a daily charge – this can make for a shortage of sunbeds, although we did not personally encounter this problem.
Delightful staff, attractive restaurants – a great choice for any stay in Yangon – business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking pool - larger rooms with small balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank janequelch
Dear janequlech,

Mingalabar from the Golden Land!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us; it makes all the hard work worthwhile to know our esteemed guests enjoy the Myanmar hospitality!

We hope to welcome you back I the near future.

Best regards,

Hillerod, Denmark
Reviewed 6 April 2014

In my job I travel the world and experience a lot of different hotels, from the best to the worst… from Shangri-La in Boracay to Del Mar in Constanta, so I would not be afraid to say that I have pretty good experiences in business hotels.

I was in Yangon for close to two weeks on business and during this period i stayed at the Savoy.

The Savoy is ranking high and very close to my personal toplist. Entering the foyer of this colonian style hotel sets you back in time. Buddha-carvings, traditional musical instruments, and fine local modern and antique furniture are providing a homely atmosphere and as soon as you set foot on the doorstep, the tranquility reaches you – both physically and in your mind. All your staff are extremely kind and serviceminded and to be greeted with a “mingalaba” and a great smile means a lot when one is staying away from home.

I find the decoration of the hotel second to none and I was always looking forward to get “home” after a long day at work. This is not anything like the unpersonal posh 5 star hotels in international hotel chains with large marble reception areas, cold and half empty business centers and a lot of different restaurants.... this is much more like "Home away from home".

The little “garden” and pool area is a true oasis in a bustling city with chaotic traffic and mio’s of people, and sitting there to enjoy a cold Coca Cola or beer after a full days work is like getting your batteries charged.

If you like big, modern hotels with all the standard foyer chandeliers, and 12 elevators, do not come here... This is an exclusive spot for people that prefers quality over quantity.

I am already looking to go back in November.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Postfiguren
GM-SHY, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Postfiguren,

Greetings from the Savoy Hotel Yangon!

We are delighted to hear that you enjpyed your stay with us and also thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and complementing review. It makes our job so much more satisfying to know we have created an ambiance and special "home away from home" for our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to the Savoy in the ner future.

Savoy Hotel
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I returned to stay at this hotel both at the beginning and end of my trip to Mandalay, Mingun, Kentaung, Loikaw and Hsipaw. All the rooms are comfortable, good a/c, ample breakfast. I prefer the ones overlooking the pool but did not notice too much road noise, even on the garden side. Good wifi in room and friendly, helpful front desk. If you are getting an early morning flight, you can order a breakfast box the night before.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the pool
Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Anne B
Dear Anne B,

Greetings from the Savoy Hotel Yangon. Mingalabar!

Thank you for your kind review; we are delighted that you had a nice stay with us.

It is always a great pleasure for us when a guest is satisfied and makes our job ever so much more exciting.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Surrey
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel has many good points. In an admirable old colonial building, it is convenient for tourists in Yangon and a very pleasant place to stay. The staff are welcoming and helpful. We liked the breakfast, and found the Bistro restaurant ideal for a quick lunch of quiche lorraine and salad. The pool looked beautiful, particularly in the evening. And we were told by another guest - though did not personally verify - that the Savoy takes credit cards without the large surcharges common elsewhere in Myanmar.

Three minor issues made this hotel less than perfect. First, in both rooms we stayed in on different occasions, the bathroom was small and had just a shower, not the bath I had hoped for in that old colonial setting and would have appreciated; and it was impossible, in both rooms, to take a shower without flooding the bathroom. Secondly, when we ordered Red Mountain wine by the glass in the Bistro - one glass of white, one of red - it was sour and unpleasant. When we had the same wine elsewhere it was much nicer, so we assume the bottle had been open too long or been badly kept (fellow-guests who ordered wine by the bottle were happy with theirs). Thirdly, there was no lift, and two long staircases up to the 2nd floor (the second with a surprisingly high top step). My husband and I were fit enough to cope and the staff carried the heavy luggage when we checked in and out, but those stairs did get a bit tiring.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline T
Dear Caroline T,

Mingalabar from the Golden Land!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us, we appreciate all feedback as it allows us to ensure consistency in quality and guest satisfaction.

With regards to your comment about the shower, we apologize for the inconvenience and will look into the matter. Unfortunately we do not have bath tubs in the deluxe rooms as we want to maximize on space for guests. Our executive suites do, however, have colonial bathtubs and hope you enjoy them during your next stay.

We thank you once again and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Scheveningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 April 2014

When staying in Yangon, go for this lovely, small, colonial style hotel. The place breathes the right atmosphere, with properly sized rooms with all mod cons and looking out on an inner court with swimming pool. The restaurants offer both good Asian and Western dishes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-SHY, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Yangon, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Willem H,

Greetings from the Savoy Hotel Yangon!

thank you for taking the time to write up a review about your stay with us!

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was a pleasurable one and sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights as the beginning of a Myanmar trip. Hotel was lovely with lots of wood as noted in other reviews, We enjoyed breakfasts both days but at elsewhere for dinner. We saw the pool with several people enjoying a break from the heat but we did not have time to try it ourselves. All of the better hotels have gotten very expensive in the past 2 years as demand has outpaced supply. This one seemed to offer adequate value although more expensive than comparable hotels in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Food and other services in Myanmar are still very inexpensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NealS1949,

Greetings from the Golden Land!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Indeed, in comparison to neighboring countries, Myanmar has shot up in prices which is in large due to the demand we are facing.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future to offer you another pleasurable stay.