“Great food, great pool, great humidor” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Savoy Hotel Yangon

Savoy Hotel Yangon
Ranked #2 of 147 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Davao
“Great food, great pool, great humidor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

It was a lovely stay in the low season. The hotel was quiet and we had all attention from the staff. I loved the frog legs and the cote de boef - beef rib by the poolside. The hotel also a humidor where by boyfriend found his favorite cigars from the Caribbean. The bar is quaint and suite had was huge in size, all in teak.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Located by the pool. Simple menu with selected choice of a total of 20 dishes to chose from. French, of course.
It was raining like hell that day and very few clients were having lunch at the restaurant.
Business lunch. 4 people. 2 French and 2 locals.
We touch the promising 'bouillabaisse from Marseille". A disaster. Hot water basically. we both just ate the bread without taking the soup. We zish the chef, if any, had come to ask up what we thought to tell him something was wrong.
Both our local invitees had main dishes that looked far more appealing. Chicken cordon bleu was gigantic and looked really good with plenty of fried potatoes to go along.
The other got mussels and French fries. she finished it all.
After the soup, I headed for dessert but the chocolate mousse was very disappointed.
Again, by seeing the dish come back almost untouched to the kitchen, the chef should have wondered something was wrong.
Others took the tart tatin and seemed very happy with it.
I surely not my lucky day...I even got to take the check!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

After we traveled 2 weeks through Myanmar we arrived for our last night in Yangon before heading back the next day.
We were already full of sooo wonderful pictures, experiences but we couldn't get enough from this country and from Yangon.
So we had several things on our list what we still wanted to see. But arrived at the hotel - we indulged in the SAVOY.
It was just wonderful!!!

Room Tip: We had a suite ground floor - so nice!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

What a beautiful Hotel! We didn't stay here because we were at the Traders Hotel [now known as the Sule Shangri La, Yangon] but we did enjoy a sensational meal in one of the dining rooms here. The A/C was working a treat and we were grateful after enduring another day of 40 degrees and inhospitable humidity. The staff were friendly, attentive and the food was superb. Plenty of wines from around the world to choose from as well as the locals brews and wines and fresh, flavorsome dishes. Very enjoyable meal and a very attractive Hotel. The pool area looks stunning!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have been working in Myanmar for several months and decided to treat myself to a stay in the Savoy on my last night. Excellent rooms, beautiful comfortable beds, and lovely restaurants. The travelers who complain about WiFi must understand that it is slow and unreliable throughout the whole city. The internet in the Savoy was quite good if you compare it to other places in the country. If you want fast internet, go to Bangkok. The staff were lovely and welcoming and the lounge for breakfast was a nice treat. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my 85 year old grandma for our last 2 nights of our Myanmar trip in 2013. We previously stayed at the Strand at the start of our trip! We had 2 separate corner suites in the hotel... She was on ground level which was great as she has trouble walking upstairs and there is no lift and I was on the level above! Rooms were great clean, comfortable and large! The pool was very very crowded when we got there- I would have loved to go for a swim when I got there but was put off by the fact that there were no lounges available and it seemed very squished and full! The breakfast buffet wasn't the best- lunch was nice but the dining room/ restaurant is up very steep stairs and with no lift in the hotel it did cause some grief for my grandma but we managed. We booked high tea for 4pm on our last day as a nice farewell treat however it took a very very long time for our food to come out- maybe almost an hour... I thought they had forgotten about us and seeing we had booked well in advance I don't see why this happened as they had more than enough time to prepare! The actual food was nice but I wouldn't have had it knowing we would have to wait that long sitting in the outside heat.. It was nice overlooking the pool though! Had a lovely foot massage before my flight- spa is nice but in one small room and very simple so if you're looking for a luxurious spa maybe pick another hotel! Apart from those small things I really did enjoy my stay there- lovely service and rooms which is the main thing and in a good location close to good restaurants! Maybe they could reconfigure the pool space as there is not much room! Would stay again!

Stayed November 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We loved the colonial feel of this hotel, with the wooden floors and stair case. The location is great, within walking distance from the Shwedagon Pagoda, and the Thai restaurant across the road from the hotel was great. However, the wifi connection was unstable and it was always on and off which was annoying. Probably due to the same connection problems, we were not able to pay for our bill upon check-out with our credit card, luckily we had enough cash as we needed to get to the airport. We saw a couple getting very frustrated the day before not being able to pay with credit card so you may need to bring cash just in case. The breakfast buffet had rather limited options and the food was just OK. I guess for the amount of money we paid I had expected a better breakfast selection since we paid less for a beautiful hotel in Bagan which was far superior in all respects. I had a foot massage at the spa and it was so-so, I would not recommend it. I would probably not choose to stay there again for the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple