“One of the most relaxing places to stay in Yangon”

The Kandawgyi Palace Hotel
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Bangkok, Thailand
“One of the most relaxing places to stay in Yangon”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable bed. Burmese decoration with modern facilities. Yet I'm more impressed with the garden and surrounding areas.

The hotel is situated right on the Kandawgyi Lake which provides a spectacular lake view on the one side, and the magnificent Shwedagon Pagoda on the other! I stayed in a deluxe room with lake view. As a business traveller, I adore the garden and of course the lake view which wipe away all the stresses. Entry to the lake is 2 minutes walk from the hotel. You'll love it to do morning jogging on the wooden path put across the lake. I'm definitely returning to this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed in this property for a couple of nights on business. Although the facilities were, on the whole, adequate (given the relative lack of international hotel chains in Burma), the attitude of the General Manager left much to be desired. I had an early morning flight to catch on my last day, and had been assured the previous night that a full breakfast service would be available from 5am. However, on the day itself, the restaurant bore a deserted look as late as 5.15, and there was no one to offer an explanation, much less an apology, for the sorry state of affairs. When I insisted on speaking to the GM, I was confronted by an arrogant man who, being peeved by the fact that he had been woken up unexpectedly, stated, among other things that he was 'not God' to be able to ensure that guests were provided with the breakfast that had been promised to them (and for which they had paid good money). Not a hotel I would recommend to discerning travellers. It took me many frustrating moments to draw out a grudging apology from this GM - and the promised breakfast did not materialise even by 6am when I had to leave the hotel or risk missing my flight.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank GlobalLawyer
Jehan W, General Manager at The Kandawgyi Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Let me begin with an apology for the inconvenience concerning early morning breakfast arrangement on 30th March.
Having conducted a thorough investigation to your concerns (Discussion with the night manager and the recording of our CCTV), we wish to respond to your review as follows.
It is the policy of the hotel to provide guest the service of continental breakfast from 4.30am in our 24 hour café for the convenience of early morning departures. However the full hot buffet with show cooking egg station is operated from 5.30am. It is true you were incorrectly informed by a member of my team that you would be able to have your favorite egg with muesliaround 5am (As you mentioned to me due to your preference) and which was offered by the restaurant the previous day. However when you arrived at the restaurant and found the egg station was not opened at 5.15am, you approached the night manager who met with you and made every effort to full fill your request.
I give everyone in my team that I work with enough respect to view them as having ownership and making their decisions accordingly. Since you were not happy with the alternative arrangements the night manager was making and trying his best, you insisted in speaking with the General Manager immediately.
At no time was the conversation I recall having with you was in any way “Arrogant” and I believe I was rather speaking to you in a more assertive manner. My conversation with you was fair to both yourself and my staff given the circumstances. However I did offer you my apology when you spoke to me for the 2ndtimes before leaving the hotel.
I thank you for your support and understanding.

Jehan Wick
Miami, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Rooms are nice especially those facing the park with a balcony, breakfast is very good, the French Restaurant is not to be missed, service is good, coffee shop meals good, Chinese restaurant has an enormous variety of dishes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I can really say that, you see places like this on TV, but to see it first hand is really an experience. I would go back, the Kandawgyi was fabulous, employees were very helpful, room service was good

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the lake was fabulous, I was on the third floor, south side
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Now where I should start from , this place is truly the one to stay if u want to be away from the crowd , near to nature . Old styled hotels(its USP) with lots of teak wood work unlike western style hotels then this is the place. Spacious and well maintained rooms , excellent breakfast , amazing location & nearby lake/garden/pagoda . there are several small places to sit , enjoy and relax . All in all on a business visit you will enjoy the evenings here!!!! Honestly hotels are expensive in yangon and I found this place little on higher side but I was happy to stay here and come back....

Advise - take room facing the lake , which gives you amazing view from the room's window.

Issue - there is no gym but so can make it via running on joggers track in the lake..

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel, an oasis from the crazy busy streets of Rangoon, Myanmar. When we arrived in the spacious lobby someone was playing the grand piano! Delightful! Our room was also spacious, with a walk out private patio garden on the Kandawgyi Lake The breakfast choices were great. The staff were terrific and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SusanPurdie
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 20 March 2014

It's my second stay there and I will definitely return to this hotel. Set on the Kandawgyi Lake amongst luxuriant vegetation whilst being in town, it offers stunning views of the Shwedagon Pagoda and the lake. Not many hotels offer this privilege. The location is very convenient to move around and the staff is always very helpful and very efficient. I highly recommend it.
Colette Whittaker

Room Tip: A room with a view over the lake and away from A/C units.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends