“Nice and clean with potential safety issues!”
Review of Clover City Center

Clover City Center
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Be aware that there are currently 3 Clover Hotels in Yangon, one close to Schewdagon Pagoda and the remaining 2 downtown on 32nd Street, City Centre & City Centre Plus. This review refers specifically to Clover Hotel City Centre.

We stayed here for one night, and although we found the room to be excellent, very clean, decent bed, immaculate toilet, AC, clean towels and linen, etc., we had an episode which could have ruined the rest of our holidays, which I shall explain.

We were given a back facing room (504), during the afternoon I opened the room window to let some fresh air in, and on leaving for dinner I closed the window but did not lock it.
Whilst in bed Upon returning from dinner later that night I heard a noise coming from the window. I decided to have a look just in case and to my surprise I see a small man/kid on top of our AC box outside and our window partially opened. As I went to put on the light to have a better look he disappeared.

Reporting this incident to reception took a bit of time as not all staff are totally fluent in English. They were very apologetic saying that this had never happened before, but couldn't offer us another room as they were fully booked. As you may imagine this all thing contributed for a very bad nights sleep.

The potential outcome of this was clearly my fault as I didn't lock the window but it still doesn't exclude the fact that the hotel has to deal and should have dealt with this. The room next to ours is a storage room (towels, linen, toiletries, etc) and in my opinion one of their own staff went in the room next door to attempt getting into ours. It is very unlike that he could have come from above or below.

On top of this, although a safe is provided it is not bolted to the wall/desk. In case of a break in the burglar can easily take the safe with him.

Luckily we were in the room and nothing happened but I thought it would be good to share this episode so that doesn't happen to you.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are safer
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nuno R

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The rooms were small, clean, and the ac worked wonderfully. The breakfast is just so-so at this point, but it is a new place and may just be getting its sea legs. The price is quite high for the room, but all of Yangoon is terribly overpriced. I wouldn't worry about the hundred dollar bill problem; they're all like that. I would probably stay there again as it is a known quantity and it is quite near the train station.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I usually stay at Traders across the road. I have reviewed it very positively. Clover Hotel City Centre is 70% cheaper. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. I had English movies and BBC news. Breakfast is the same as I have had all around Asia in cheaper hotels but there was lots of fresh fruit. I ate Dinner at Traders and held meetings in the Traders foyers but had an extra $200 in my pocket on the way home.

Room Tip: Higher gets you above road noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank RegularOZTraveller
Reviewed 30 September 2013

so I read up all the reviews, confused by the mixed opinions and decide to book one night to test the water... I figure I would hop to Traders in case it was unbearable...

The service is questionable, not that they are rude... the staffs are just inexperienced and spoke too little English to make any sense on what they should do.

The 600 sq.ft. lobby actually stood 14+ hotel staff and not a whole of them were doing anything...

The mix reviews on their room conditions are also true, we booked two rooms, mine (Rm304) was adequate in general. Clean, slow but tolerable internet connection, no safe, and fridge unplugged, probably better as it is right next to the bed (the noise). There's a window but its view to the wall of another building. The 5'x5' bathroom means the shower is an open shower, so make sure you move the toilet paper roll away or you've gonna have to deal with a wet toilet paper.

But my business partners became a nightmare and she ended up moving to Traders on the very day.

Her first room had no internet signal and it reeked of sewer (RM302), her second room (RM312) actually has a city view (though not a good one), it's got a safe (but it not bolted to anything), problem is the bed, perfectly made, but the entire bed was wet! She decided she'd had enough and left

If I knew breakfast was this bad I would've left too... everything is served cold (except tea); one fried egg, beans, a bun, a raisin slice, 2 cold toasts, chocolate donut, some sliced fruits, oj, coffee/tea.

Comments about the narrow filthily alley is pretty much dead on... one way street with cars parked on both side and just enough for a van to pass through, potholes everywhere

A few stairs are required to reach your room so don't be carrying too heavy if you intend to stay here...

I ended up staying at another hotel the following day... and suddenly, the price tag on Traders Hotel seems justifiable.

Room Tip: - even number rooms view are mostly blocked (except for 312, 412, 512 and up) - odd number rooms mi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had been warned about over priced lousy Myanmar hotels and the warnings proved accurate. This hotel is down a long pot-holey road by a large building site. Reception is manned (is boyed a word?) by 4 grinning youths who refuse point blank to accept our "old" dollars and will only touch notes fresh from the printing press. They give us Myanmar Kyiats in return that are half rotted, covered in mildew, torn and disease carrying. It would be nice to posess the linguistic skills needed to point out the injustice of this transaction. They also take over an hour to fill in all the neccesary forms and photocopy passports, by which time our patience has all but disappeared. The room is from the Ibis school of hotel design, (Ibis, a French chain known for utilitarian and tiny rooms) and breakfast (lousy) is not included.
All over Myanmar you will need to carry brand-new IMPECCABLE U.S dollars in small denominations( or Kyiats in any condition) as credit cards are rarely accepted and ATM machines are few and far between, which we found very stressful.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the Clover City Center Plus, which is on the same street as the Clover City Center. This is budget plus hotel in my opinion. It felt more comfortable than your typical budget hotel and definitely costs more, though after doing a lot of research, I think you pay more for what you get in Yangon based on supply vs demand as their tourism evolves. You can walk to the main market, banks, shopping center, etc, which was a bonus. Taxis were very easy to get to other destinations and the hotel helped negotiate for us and make sure the driver knew our destination. I thought the staff was very willing to help and was trying to provide really good service and their English was better than expected. The room was a good size, the air con worked well, the wifi worked in the room and the bathroom was pretty small but okay (the shower was open in the bathroom (no doors or tub). Hotels that are nicer are at least double the price, so I would definitely choose to stay here again if I returned.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tlb999
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

A word of warning: this hotel openly publishes that "locals" pay half the price of foreigners. When I arrived they had a sign saying "foreigner price - $100", "Myanmar Citizen price - $50". I accept that at tourist attractions the locals shouldn't have to pay as much as foreigners as it means the site gets the conservation it needs and locals can visit sites of national cultural significance. However, Clover has no cultural significance or heritage, it is just out to rob foreigners with their inflated price.

I left and booked with agoda for only $5 more than the local price. I advise anyone staying in Yangon to do the same.

Service aside the rooms are clean and modern. They are quite small and the water from the shower is not piping hot (tepid really), but its better than some of the $20-40 dumps in Yangon. My advise is to stay in Yangon a day and accept that at the moment hotels will rob you for your money.

• Stayed: July 2013