“Disgusting customer service!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Yoma Hotel
Ranked #115 of 158 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
“Disgusting customer service!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

They made several mistakes & then refused to compensate me after I said I would accept a different room or a discounted rate for the inconvenience caused. I had stayed here at the start of my 28 day visit and decided to rebook - relatively reasonable prices, not great service but I had found it extremely difficult to find rooms at short notice so I booked ahead for the end of my stay. They requested further confirmation nearer the time which I provided. On arrival they refused to give me my room even insisting that I had never even confirmed. They went on to claim I had booked a different higher rate room - then told me my name was wrong ha! They miscommunicated internally and when I tried to negotiate a new room or a discount to wait 3hrs for my room which had been given away despite my reservation they refused. I went down the road to Orchid instead which even though its much more expensive they treat customers well. Yoma is not ready for human contact!!!

• Stayed March 2013

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We arrived late one evening and were shown to our room. It smelled very strongly of lemon grass and there was a machine bubbling away producing steam. We should have realised something was not right but asked for the machine to be removed as it was wierd. Went for a quick meal and came back and the room smelled a bit odd. When we woke up in the morning the room stunk of sewage. We asked to change rooms and were told this was possible and would be done by the time we came back. it wasnt but found the the lemongrass machine was back. it was late and Rangoon was packed and were unable to find another room and so had to, reluctantly spend another night in a room where everything, including the sheets stunk of sewage. In the morning i went down stairs and gave the reception a stern talking too and checked out. The manager apologized and gave us a $3 (three dollar)/10% refund. While the wifi, hot shower were excellent and the staff were polite it is just unacceptable to rent rooms out that not are not even habitable. so i have to unfortunately give this hotel a poor review. If you go here and your room smells of lemongrass....ask for another room as i really doubt they have sorted the drains out. i think if i had been given a room that did not smell of sewage i would have been happy to stay here longer

Room Tip: avoid staying in a room here that has anything but a normal smell.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed on the 3rd floor. Room was very clean and the bed was soft and comfortable. The hotel serves a variety of food. I recommend the sweet and sour pork. Most chicken dishes come bone in. You will be a little far from the city here, but minutes from the airport and within 2 miles of a nicer mall offering more western styled food choices

• Stayed January 2013
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Normal rooms were $50 but we took a $35 room which had an incredibly low ceiling, touched my head and I am 5ft 9! A bit like a hobbit room but was very clean with fridge and tv, aircon and water. Bathroom was downstairs from the room but not shared. No noise and comfortable. Bit of a walk to anywhere but we didn't mind. Can't comment on breakfast as we left early for a flight with a standard crappy breakfast box. They did kindly give us coffee before we left through (unusual for Myanmar) and there was good free wifi.

• Stayed January 2013
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was very easy for us to make a reservation at this hotel via email.  The staff was very responsive.  The bed was a foam mattress, like a very soft tempurpedic, which was surprisingly comfortable.  The location is on the eastern side of downtown Yangon, and it was an easy walk to the man downtown area.  The staff was very helpful in getting us reservations in Mandalay.  It was one of the best hotel staff we experienced while in the country.  They had a good breakfast which they brought to your room.   Wifi was excellent.

Try to get a room on a lower floor as there's no elevator.  Also, our room didn't have any windows but it wasn't an issue.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Jaffna, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed in three different rooms on three different trips to Yangon over my holiday.
The rooms with no outside windows were large, comfortable and well-equipped. The room with outside windows was a bit smaller, but was very comfy with a great view over the railway and the mosque.

The rooms were all very clean and well-equipped, with everything functioning.

The staff were incredibly friendly, competent and helpful.

There are loads of great restaurants, bars and shops on the couple of blocks around this hotel and it is also relatively easy to walk around to some sites such as Sule or Botataung if you don't mind walking and enjoy wandering at a leisurely pace taking photos and stopping in tea shops.

I stayed in this hotel because it was near a friend's house, but I would recommend it to anyone as it was so friendly and well-organised.

Breakfast in bed at a time of your choosing was also a plus!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have windows - ask for 204, 304, or 404 if you'd like natural light. The other...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Then room (twin superior) was large, air con worked well and was quiet, staff were very friendly and had answers to all my questions. Not a bad position, room and bathroom was clean, hot water was good, restaurant across the road had wicked noodle soup. Would definately stay again. Was meant to be staying with friends but they had to ostpone for a week. probably not a great place for meeting other travellers if on your lonesome.

Room Tip: Some of the cheaperrooms have a rather low ceiling.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo