“Worst Hotel I've ever been to”
Review of Silver Moon Hotel

Silver Moon Hotel
Ranked #118 of 166 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand
“Worst Hotel I've ever been to”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The place is very dirty, bad service, can't communicate in english. Location is pretty far from everything. We couldn't find any restaurant near the area so we had to eat at the hotel and it took them 1 hour for just a simple chicken fried rice. Room was not cleaned, bathroom very dirty. The biggest mistake made.

Room Tip: don't come here
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trapond H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We thought we were prepaired, since we read the reviews after booking, but we weren't, although we just stayed there for 7 hours. In the room there once was a window. Now boarded up and mouldy.. the bathroom was dank. Not sure its ever been cleaned properly. Once you turn the lights off there is a red light which cant be turned off so its hard to fall asleep. We eventually fell asleep. Sometime after we were woken by locals with some 'female companions' going into a room opposite.
The night before we asked the reception to help us book a bus ticket to Ngwe saung (a beach 5 hours away). The fella had no clue, which was surprising as all other hotels new exactly what to do. Instead we used the wifi to search for a bus company and then asked the reception to call.
To be fair the wifi was excellent.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stefan J

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

aust
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Why oh why did we not read these reviews before? All I can say is don't stay here unless you are accustomed to feeling dirty! We had our linen changed on arrival as it was disgusting and find it amusing to see the managers comment about openly discussing the issues dated in April 2013 and still the "strong team" has not been able to clean the hotel or provide clean linen! Having backpacked for over 15 years this place now ranks as the worst not only for condition, location, value for money the only saving grace was the staff... Our room included breakfast however we all decided to eat elsewhere as food poisoning was not in our interest! Whilst in beautiful Myanmar we have stayed in many other amazing places for the same price so there is no excuse!
Sadly I think that with all the bad reviews they will simply change the name in the future!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank vgriswald
Adelaide
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Avoid at all costs, originally booked through Agoda & have a sneaky suspicion that staff members may have added their own reviews to give a higher rating. It is NOT located near the airport or within 10 minutes as per one review. It is a reasonable distance from the city centre but knew that before we booked.
The rooms are an absolute disgrace, filthy, run down & in major need of an overhaul (demolition may be safer & easier). We have stayed in many backpacker accommodations throughout Asia in our travels over the last few years & never have I come across something this terrible. We didn't use the shower as you would have been dirtier than when you started, the amount of mould & filth we encountered had just reached a new level.
At one stage there must have been a window in the room which had since been covered over with a piece of flimsy ply wood. The street noise from the traffic ALL night meant sleep was an option not included in the price. It was also obvious on departure that the staff allow the rooms to also be rented by the hour for particular professions.
We knew this was a budget choice as it was our transit stop on our way out of the beautiful country of Myanmar after 4 of the most enjoyable weeks of visiting this amazing country. Just avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: There are no good or even clean rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank thendy
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

As soon as my taxi embarked at the entrance, two staff came and assisted my luggage. Check in was swift and the room was readily available with the air condition on.
decor of the room with a noisy air condition and the flowery wool mattress reminded me of the nostalgic home of my grandmother in the early70s.

Yes, the off white towel is with the rusty stain over the metal rack, and the bed sheet was not crisp. I requested for the change and I got a nice new clean white towels and two layers of clean sheet on my bed. Pillows are odorless, internet required the password that is easily available from the receptionist. More waters are given when requested.

Only cold shower in the bathroom with the not so clean slipper. I was prepared when checking upon this no star hotel with my own disposable hotel sandals.

A new split air condition, hot shower facility , better toothbrush and sanitised slippers will surely make this hotel a better room to slumber. There's also a new hotel nearby, New Moon, with similar price but comes with a much larger room, and bath tub and it was a brand new hotel.

No really close to the airport. Took 35 minutes for me to get there. No eatery joints around the hotel and you have to walk for about 20 minutes to find a restaurant with an English menu .

Room Tip: back room is quiter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Paris
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was dropped off from a night bus here so I thought what the heck. How bad can it be? It turned out to be a staff sleeping room. They asked 20$ and I said you are joking, but being exhausted from the bus I said I'd give them 15$ and he agreed. I'd have slept anywhere! There was no shower and the toilet had seen better days, I didn't dare sit on it, plus the position (see photo) made it near impossible to sit on. The yard next to the toilet was full of dirt and stank. Sadly places like this are getting away with it because of the shortage of beds with the new boom. New boom, no new democracy. Anyway avoid this place unless you are falling on your knees from a passing bus or aircraft or ufo. I love Burma and hate to see places like this give it a bad name.

Room Tip: With the boom in tourism book in advance in Rangoon and Mandalay and Inle lake.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kevinhayden
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have to agree with the other reviewers that this is one best skipped. For background, since we all come at these things with different goals/perspectives, I am a budget-ish traveler; I tend to stay in budget places more often than not, but also travel internationally for business, so I get a mix of everything from dorm rooms to 5 star suites. I tend to like budget options better for authenticity and (honestly!) service.

So, I booked the Silver Moon online because it was the cheapest option available and I thought I might need proof of a reservation to get my same-day Myanmar visa in Thailand.

The staff are friendly, but the English of many staff members is so-so, and while they tried very much to help I left a night early (even with no refund).

The first room I got smelled overwhelmingly of mold, and the walls were covered with mold, both in the bathroom and the room istelf. I have mold-induced asthma and asked to be moved though I probably should have just left then... They put me into another room with a window facing the street which was incredibly loud, and while it had mold in the bathroom there was none visible in the room. The room was *really* dirty, though, and some of the walls, bathroom fixtures, etc. were disintegrating. The Silver Moon is in the middle of nowhere, hard for cabs to find and any savings will be eaten up by expensive/time consuming trips to the center (if you want to see anything!) After a night of struggling to breathe and feeling like I had the flu I checked out and moved to another Guest House, where, for $3 more a night I had a much more central location, a beautiful clean room with A/C and private bath, and equally helpful staff with better English. To their credit, they did everything in their power (apart from refunding the second night!) to make it right, but the place is so awful that there was nothing they could really do. This is my new all-time worst, replacing a $2/night hostel on Lake Titicaca in Bolivia.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo