“Budget accommodation with friendly and efficient staff”

Hninn Si Budget Inn
Ranked #22 of 158 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Makati, Philippines
“Budget accommodation with friendly and efficient staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This budget hostel is located along Pazundaung Township and is a bit far from the city center. Nevertheless, it takes about 25 minutes to walk to the Sule Pagoda and about 15 minutes to the Botataung Pagoda. I got a room on the 2nd floor, which was very basic (think windowless) but has strong aircon. The hostel serves basic breakfast in the morning but does not offer meals round the clock. A small grocery shop a few steps away from the hostel saves you from hunger pangs. Spacious shared bathroom. Plus points: the very friendly and efficient staff, reliable wifi and unlimited free bottled water! (Just ask for it and they’ll give it to you.) Downside: location, few eating options in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Mobile888, Owner at Hninn Si Budget Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
With reference to your comment, we are actually in City centre. We are only FIVE minutes walk away from Bota Taung Pagoda. Approximately 15-16 minutes walk from our guest house to Sula Pagoda. I am quite suprised that you didn't see all these restaurants around us, within one minute walk there are Myanmar Chinese restaurant call, May Shan. Next door to May Shan restaurant is a BBQ restaurant, two shops down is Myanmar coffee shop, opposite side of these restaurants, a Bakery, and a Japanese restaurant.These restuarants are stones throw away from our guest house, you could easily see from our 2nd floor balcony. If you want something fancy, where you can find expatriate and high class Myanmar, the restaurant, 50th Bar & Grill; it's 10 minutes walk. That's on our right, on our left side, 1-2 minutes walk a restaurant, 7 Colour, it's local food, 10 minutes walk Northern Indian Restaurant, Golden City Chitty, and round that area, there are hundreds of small/medium/large restaurants. We are a budget inn but we do offer all day/ night breakfast at your request. Afternoon snack which we offer in the late afternoon. Water unlimited, All our rooms have window. I'm sorry I have to correct you, but all our rooms do have windows. I hope this clarifies your doubts. We always try our best to make our guests stay at our Inn a comfortable and pleasant one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel at the start and end of our recent trip to Myanmar. The hotel is well located to visit the sites of Yangon. It is a budget inn and you do get what you pay for but the rooms and shared bathroom are clean and constantly kept clean by the hotels staff. The owners English is excellent (she is married to an American I believe) and will happily book buses, order taxis and give advice about travelling around Yangon and Myanmar. The English of other members of staff was lower but they are still very keen to help and support. Had to pay an airport transfer fee as apart of our booking on our last stay (we hadn't had to pay it the first time we stayed there) which was well above what an actual taxi would have been. Breakfast is pleasant but basic and served in the mobile phone shop downstairs

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

My experiance at the Hninn Si Budget Inn was wonderful, the staff was always helpful and ready to serve my every need. My business trip was so much more pleasant being picked up at the airport and with no delays. The staff was so delightful and efficient, Mike was most helpful as I was checked in quickly to my room which was very simple and clean, with a very comfortable bed, the shared bathroom was no problem and room service and laundry service was great. The area had many food stalls as well as up scale restaurants. I have only high praise for the Hninn Si Budget Inn and it's staff and would recommend anyone to stay there. I know my next stay will be just as pleasant and I look forward to my next business trip and my stay there. The rates were also so reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank D3196ULrichards
Southern Mexico, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

The great experience started from my booking with quick, efficient, helpful responses. On arrival at the airport we were meet and taken directly to the hostel. We were welcomed with a cup of Myanmar tea and the friendly smiling face of Khine.
The rooms are on several floors with shared bathrooms, although the only other person I ever saw in there was the young man cleaning the showers and toilets. There were five rooms on our floor and three toilets and three showers which were immaculately clean. The room was big enough with three beds in though we only asked for a double so somewhere to put our backpacks. There was also a small table and an airer. Could possibly have done with a small mirror to brush your hair. The beds were really comfortable and the air con was very efficient and quiet.
All of the staff were helpful and Khine went out of her way to give us what felt like VIP treatment with stacks of information about the rest of Myanmar and what to see.
I would definitely recommend this hostel/ guesthouse but as long as you accept this is not five star. Accomodation in Yangon and Myanmar generally is expensive in comparison to the rest of SE Asia.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachrisuk
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Triple sharing for about 16SGD a night per person. Great offer for free transfer from airport to the inn for those staying at least two nights. Very welcoming and generous manager, Khine, who was helpful with our questions and offered us beans with rice from breakfast and Myanmar tea. Rooms very quite fine, but toilets on third floor were small and my head was touching the ceiling. Second floor toilets were much better. Location-wise it is not bad, walkable to Bogyoke Aung San Market in 30 mins. Botataung Pagoda is just 5 minutes away.

Three experiences made it all the more odd:
1. I wanted to call Golden Harp Taxi Service to confirm my arrival in Yangon, but the guy at the reception repeatedly tried to divert me to his friend who charged 10USD for city tour compared to what I planned with Golden Harp at 30USD. I couldn't be certain if it was confirmed as he was speaking Burmese when he called for me, but he stopped doing so when his manager entered, and called the number I wanted again as instructed. Very frustrating.
2. At night, I wanted to buy tickets to Bagan at the reception, but was stopped when there was another girl who was leaving. After she apologised and thanked the reception for their help, one guy was sent out to tail her (I suppose) while the guy I was talking to went to the windows overlooking the road and spied for at least 5 minutes, ignoring me. I just sat there watching all this happening, then the first guy came back and mentioned 'taxi' to the second and he made several calls after that. You can make your own conclusions.
3. I bought a Samsung charger from the mobile phone accessories shop on the first floor, named Hninn Si Company Limited. The charger didn't work as the metal part was loose and kept sinking inside the plastic end, so I wanted to change it the next day. As I was out before the shop opened and would be back only after it closed, I asked the reception if they could help me change it. The guy said they could not as they were not linked. But then the next morning I saw the same guy who sold me the charger serving breakfast downstairs to myself and other guests a the inn! But in the end I managed to get it changed myself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank reublim
Mobile888, Owner at Hninn Si Budget Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
We are sorry that there was a language barrier thus causing some misunderstandings. After some investigation, the manager was trying to get a taxi for another hotel guest. He was trying to call the number that you had given. It was not working. He was not trying to sell you a city tour. A City Tour at $10 is unheard of . Yangon airport to downtown cost about $12. And you can never get a city tour for $10.
Samsung charger- we do change it to a new working charger for you. Our BUDGET INN workers are different from the phone store. They are different people with different work assignments. The phone shop opens from 10:30am to 6:30 pm. When you saw our Inn worker at the breakfast area, the phone shop was not opened as yet. The Inn workers only manage the Inn affairs and phone shop workers know where their things are. The Inn workers are not allowed to sell or do exchanges until the phone workers open shop.
We do hope that this explains all the misunderstandings.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Hninn Si for 2 nights at the very beginning of our trip and hadn’t really expected much after reading mixed reviews and seeing pictures of the place that didn’t really sell it very well. However, when we arrived we were surprised to find a really clean place, western toilets that are cleaned several times a day and our double room ($30) was very spacious.
The owners and staff are all really nice and very helpful and everyone apart from the younger lads there can speak great English.
We also really appreciated it when the owners looked out for our interests and got in to a bit of an argument with a pushy taxi driver who wouldn’t take no for an answer when trying to sell us a tour. The driver had been really nice but just wasn’t getting the hint.
The Inn is also in a decent location with a place called Ruby restaurant just around the corner that serves delicious food and is also only a 3000k taxi trip away from Shwedagon Pagoda.
We have booked to return again at the end of our trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed there 2 nights with my friends in a triple room. When I was in Yangon, it was raining dogs and cats so we stayed the whole night in the inn. It was clean, comfortable. We had wifi, air con, nice beds, NO TV, share bathroom and toilet for $38 for one night but that was all we needed. It's convenient that they also have airport transfer. For details, you can have a look at their website http://hninnsibudgetinn.com/

The staffs were really great, esp the owner. I met her shortly at the second night but she was really helpful with tips and suggestions. Others were friendly and all but their English wasn't good enough. However, the service was fantastic. They offered cold water and hot tea/coffee on your arrival and departure.

We didn't have much time and it rained really hard so we couldn't walk from the inn to other popular such as Shwedagon, Sule pagoda, Scot market... If you go in dry season and have more time, you can take advantage of its location. Though Botataung Pagoda is pretty near from the inn, around 10-15' walk. If you go as a group, taxi fare aren't too much. It took us K2000 (about $2) one way to Swedaon.

The breakfast were basic, the eggs were a little bit oily for my taste but you can always step outside, there are stores and even small convenience shop nearby with all kind of breads, cookies... to improve your meal.

Room Tip: If they give you room near the reception (201, 301, 401), ask for others if possible because you'...