“Fantastic”

Ranked #23 of 167 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Mingalaba! I am from the U.S.and was traveling with a large group that were from different parts of the world and the consensus was the same. Absolutely terrific staff! Yes accommodations were basic but everything was kept clean, functional and practical. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to be helpful, resourceful and friendly to our group, all with a very warm and engaging smile. I was impressed and moved by their quick and sincere responses to our needs. I would surely stay there again if the opportunity presents itself. It would feel like coming home!!! Thank you Hninn Si Budget, we won't forget you!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ReneeButterfly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I are American, and we have stayed in various hotels throughout the US. We have stayed at 5 star hotels but nothing compares to the level of service we received here.
The people are genuinely polite and helpful. The hotel owner and all the staff made us feel more than welcome; they made us feel like part of their family.

We traveled as part of a large group and we were all treated extremely well. We were all helped with directions and even medicine when needed. For example, one day I became ill, the staff provided me with some meds, brought food to my room, and the owner suggested a clinic to go to that was close by. By the way, the clinic was excellent and I received excellent service there too.

In the hotel, we had to share restrooms and showers. Do note that there are 3 showers and 3 toilets to each floor and each floor has 4 rooms. Therefore, we never had to wait for a toilet or a shower. Also, everything was clean and spotless all the time. I never came across any problems and never felt it was dirty. My wife and I are not backpackers, we had luggage with us for our two-week stay in Yangon and I never felt worried or afraid of losing anything at the hotel. I left my electronics, clothing and other items without worry.

I only wish I had the ability to convey how great of a stay we had. It was truly enjoyable and we plan to stay there again if we can go back to Yangon. I did note that it is such a nice place and so reasonably priced that you have to book a reservation well in advance or you will not be able to find a room. It was fully booked the two weeks we were there.

Thank you Hninn Si for the wonderful experience and for being so nice to all of us JW.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and be courteous to all the people in Myanmar. They really have a wonderful cul...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jesus A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We turned up here and despite numerous confirmations of the booking, including the day of our stay we were told that we couldn't stay there as the people staying there the previous night had left the stuff there and they didn't have a spare key and were unwilling to take their stuff out of the room and could not contact them. I suspect that they had double booked the room.

Incredibly poor communication and lack of information about what was happening. The only information we received was from a manager on the phone.

As they were full, the only option was to look for another place to stay. They were nice enough to suggest and take us to a dilapidated hotel far away from anything on a noisy port and take us in a taxi. They also offered to call any places we could find online and call a taxi when we found one.

If you want to make a reservation for a hotel, I would advise not staying here as they may not have a room for you when you turn up. If I could give the hostel a zero for service I would. After ten months of travelling around the world, I have never experienced such incompetence as I did here.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Backpackinggirl
Mobile888, Owner at Hninn Si Budget Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
We apologize for the inconveniences that may have incurred. However, I did speak to you on the phone upon the day of your arrival.

Reference to your room reservation. We do have your reservation and would always do our best to accommodate all our guests. Here's the situation for your understanding. The night prior to your arrival, we were running full house. Our check-out time is 11:00AM. Most guest were supposed to check-out by then. In order not to have you wait further because one of the guests whose room was supposedly reserved for you had not returned as yet. I did explain to you whilst talking to you on the phone that if you would like to wait, I have no idea when the guests who were occupying the room will return. You asked me to do something rather unthinkable, that I should open the room door and remove their belongings. This is not right as an Inn, we do not open up the guests room & remove their belongings. That aside, I offered you an alternative so as not to inconvenience you, not knowing how long it would take for the occupants to vacate the room. I offered you another hotel, had my manager to accompany you to take a look at the property. After 20 minutes, you returned implying that you were not satisfied with the property. Again, the occupants had not returned. We tried another hotel, this time, you accepted it. We do understand that travellers are weary and I do believe that we tried our very best to accommodate you. It is our responsibility to take care of our guests whether those still in house, leaving as well as arriving.

To clarify, I never mentioned that I do not have spare keys to the guests' rooms as you have mentioned in your comments. Even with spare keys, we are not obligated to open up guests room to remove their belongings just because they are late in returning from their outings.

To conclude, we do not deserve a zero service comment which you mentioned. You made reservations without any deposits being made. We did our utmost best to make sure that you do have a roof over your head. We went out of our way to accommodate you. I had the intention of offering you a complimentary nights' stay if you were more obliging. That would be to compensate for your patience and understanding. But you chose to differ. it is our motto to provide our guests with the utmost service that we can give.
London
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Visited this hotel twice in 2013.
As everyone has said it is basic (don't be put off by the outside stairs). But very clean, esp. the shared bathrooms.

The owner and staff are very helpful and it was a good place to meet other backpackers, although most people only seemed to be staying for a couple of nights.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mrsbdarling
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed only one night in the city. So we where just looking for a clean stop over hotel. The rooms where very clean. No charming decorations or windows- expect only a clean, very simple room. We did not have a chance to eat there but we did get a nice take away before leaving early (fruits and water).

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014

As others have mentioned hotels in Yangon are not priced similarly to elsewhere in SE Asia. That being said this was my 2nd time in the city and this place did the trick. For the price I can't imagine you would do much better, room was clean albeit I had to kill 2-3 mosquitoes, AC worked fantastic which in 33 degree weather is lovely, breakfast was simple but good and the shared bathrooms were clean. Not right in the center of town but a quick 15-20 min walk will get you to the park in front of city hall and Sule Pagoda, 10 min at the boat jetty to Dallah and 5 min you'll be at Botahtaung Pagoda. A few restaurants close by and small convenience stores next door that are open 24 hours to get anything you need.

Everyone seemed to be super nice and wanted to help out as much as possible. As in most places some employees were much more helpful with suggestions than others which is likely what others were referring to on here. I didn't need too much advice since I had already been in the city but can see how if it was your 1st time in town how it could be frustrating though if you want your hand held go stay at the Strand or Traders.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The room itself was very simple but quite clean. As others have said, the room had no real window, only an internal slatted vent which looked out onto the corridor. The vent was hidden behind a painting, so I don't think it's correct on the hotel's website to say that every room has a window.

We arrived at Yangon airport and there was nobody there to meet us as agreed, so had to find and pay for a taxi to the hotel.

We left before the hours which breakfast was served. The staff promised to prepare a takeaway breakfast for us. The next morning, no breakfast to take with us. The staff said that it wasn't possible.

The bathrooms are ok, they're clean and the shower works well. Good location for the hotel, not right in the centre, but easy enough to walk there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple