“Average”

Hninn Si Budget Inn
Ranked #24 of 173 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights upon arriving in Yangon and then again for one night upon leaving. I must agree with a previous reviewer, the cost of accommodation is too high, for the standard that you get, in this country compared with the price of everything else.
The rooms are basic and clean. The bathroom and toilets are separate and shared, they are kept as clean as possible.
The walls are thin, you can hear everything that goes on during the night. The door to the bathroom area needs some oil, it's squeaks every time it opens!
Breakfast is included in the price, and was ok, toast, egg, coffee, cake and banana's and of course, Mohinga.
There is complimentary water available, just ask at reception.
WIFI was reasonable, it's slow throughout Myanmar anywhere you go.
Staff are friendly and helpful, they arranged bus tickets for us.
There are plenty of eating places about, we found a good one just down the street.
There are 2 ATM's either side of the Inn that take foreign credit cards, the maximum withdrawal is 300,000K I think.
It's a bit of a walk to the Pagoda's.
I think there is better value for money around in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya H
Mobile888, Owner at Hninn Si Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

We appreciate your stay with us, before and after. And we love to hear details about our establishment.

As you mentioned, accommodation cost is high in Yangon. It is agreeable as tourist had been flocking in for the past two years and there are insufficient accommodation to meet the needs especially in Yangon. I feel that we are very comparable in our pricing, based on what we offer.

The squeaky bathroom doors have been oiled (thank you for bringing to our attention.) We serve both Western and Myanmar breakfast, not either or but you do get both and we are generous with complimentary bottled water. I am a constant traveller and having water at hand is very convenient. So we offer unlimited bottled water to our guests which I feel is a great way of saying "THANK YOU" for staying with us. We always try our best to accommodate our guests and make them feel comfortable.

Our location is great as you noticed, with two ATMs, Bank, official money changer, 5 restaurants, 3 convenient stores (2 are 24 hours ), a travel agency, dry cleaning laundromat, internet cafe to name a few; within ONE minute of walk from the Inn.

Lastly, our goal is to have a clean, friendly and safe environment for our guests. We are NOT a five star hotel, but we do our best to provide the best service possible to all our guests.

There are newer reviews for Hninn Si Budget Inn

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night before leaving to Bagan the next day. Very simple, small and clean room, friendly service, breakfast provided. There are restaurants and convenient shop downstairs. Better to call to book with the hotel directly rather through online, price will be cheaper. And do book or reserve in advance especially during peak season. The only problem is I can hear faint voice of people talking from the reception area but overall it is ok.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank cssiang
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We loved the stay in Hninn Si so much. The look of the hostel looks shabby and dubious but we really enjoyed it throughout.

Wifi was strong even when we were in our rooms. However, one downside was the exorbitant charge of US$12 for a single bed as we had 5 people in our group. Nonetheless, the good and friendly staff made up for it. Borrowed their telephone to call a local Burmese friend and was not charged - although the look of the staff wasn't too pleasant. Snack were provided just as we arrived - local Burmese tea leaves and nuts. And when I entered the inn with a wet umbrella, they immediately offered to dry it up for me. Water was always given at FOC and voluntarily without us asking! The owner, a Burmese and Irish mixed blood, was also very friendly and recommended us a few must-trys in Myanmar!

Room wise, it was splendid. The bathroom was a shared one though but no complaints given it's clean. Our room initially had a malfunctioned A/C but the staff quickly sent for some servicing and it worked very well. We had one of the best sleeps that night.

Breakfast was decent - traditional mohinga and breads, with jam and coffee.

We spent around SGD80 for a room of 5 - I guess that's pretty reasonable. Very enjoyable stay! Loved the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ev4ngeline
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

As a traveller I do expect to get what I pay for and this I base on the countries basic living costs, transport, food and accommodation. Well myanmar contradicts this theory of mine. Accommodation prices are high and standards are low. The guest house has some very small rooms, we got one and the following day we asked to be moved. They did move us but the standard is basic. We stayed 3 nights. A/c is very good, which is required as there are no windows that can truly open. Bathrooms are okay, breakfast was also okay.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Nee_NeeLiverpool
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I chose this hotel because of positive reviews in tripadvisor. Unfortunately, some of my valuables were stolen.

But first to the hotel:
+ Price (18 Dollar/night for 1 person)
+ Free bottles of water (at the reception)
+ In room air-condition worked smoothly
+ Bathroom facilities seem to be renovated and are clean
+/- Breakfast. Nothing special but fills you with some calories
+/- Location. Near to the River, a little bit away from the main attractions
- Cleanliness of the rooms (upon arrival bed/pillow covers haven’t been changed; the blankets were old and didn’t have a cover at all)
- No safe (I think in this price category you can’t expect one in Myanmar, but be aware of it!)
- No windows, no chairs, no cupboard, no bedside table
- Tiny rooms. About 8sqm for a single
- Staff doesn’t speak English; the manager very basic
- The room wasn’t cleaned during my 4-nights stay
- Wi-Fi takes ages to load
- Noise. A water pipe within the rooms makes it difficult to sleep. In the evenings/nights water overflow runs through those pipes at random times. The hotel cannot intervene and it’s quite distracting when falling asleep.

Besides, someone was in my room while I was away. As I left my room locked and nobody broke in, I am pretty sure it was the hotel staff. I usually don’t leave any valuables unlocked (my bad this time, I know), but still no reason to steal. 50 Euro and a fake-golden pen were stolen. They didn’t even make efforts to put the room in order afterwards.
I asked the receptionist to show me the surveillance video record (they have cameras in all the corridors). When he realized that I got them, he became very emotional and started to shout. He called the other staff, the hotel owner and threatened with the police. No need to mention my odds in this situation, so I let go of it.

To sum up: Hninn was a disappointment for me. But if you always carry your belongings with you and don’t mind a little noise and dirtiness in your room, Hninn can be a good budget option.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Timo M
Mobile888, Owner at Hninn Si Budget Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Please let me reiterate that "Nothing was stolen, period." My name is Michael and I am the owner of this facility.

Our check-in time clearly states at 1:00pm. You arrived very early and we managed to accommodate you as soon as possible. I believe that, that is called "service." We do our utmost to make our guests welcome and make it a "home away from home" environment. Moreover, our staffs are hard-working personals who work diligently to make sure you get the comfort. With that said, our linens are changed and laundered daily. The following morning, you approached our reception desk to request for your money back because you decided to change your plans. This is the beginning of the problem as you know - you paid through credit card online and you were told of our terms and conditions when you made the reservations.

Your accusation of our staffs removing your items from the room is very serious. Please remember that the next morning, you came to the lobby (requesting for your money back), you then sat down for a while surfing the net using your phone. After a while, you spoke to our reception desk clerk that your items, 50EURO and 10K Myanmar Kyats were taken. (These were precisely recorded on our surveillance camera.) You also mentioned that this happened in another hotel and that you were going to write up. However, you also mentioned that if the 50EURO and 10K Myanmar Kyats were to be returned to you, you will not write up. (Again, all this conversation were being recorded, surveillance cameras are truthful as can be.)

It is very disturbing to know that our staffs had been pin pointed maybe because of your error in misplacing your items. Suddenly, a gold pen is mentioned. Well, nothing of that was heard. The manager wanted and advised you to wait while he calls the police, but you said, 'DON'T WORRY, I'M SO SORRY." And you left the lobby and never returned to the lobby again. Since you were staying 4 nights with us, I tried to meet up with you hoping to put things straight by showing the surveillance camera to clear you doubts. I waited for you but unfortunately, we crossed each other's path.

I was very much disturbed by this issue and had spent many hours surveying all the surveillance cameras. Based on the surveillance cameras, no one entered your room on the day you reported that you had missing items. For your information, we do not pay out monies just because someone claims loss of property. It is your responsibility to make sure that you have your valuables with you at all times. Accordingly to the Innkeeper's Act, no Hotel/inn is responsible for your valuables.

Our staffs my not be as fortunate as you are to travel the world to gain sights of the other world, but they are honest, diligent personals who work hard for a living. Thievery is a serious offense and may lead to incarceration. In any case, we have filed a police report to protect ourselves and a copy of the surveillance tape has been given to the police as proof of our innocence.

This is a conjured story as - first, you want to shorten your stay and requested money back of the days that you actually booked. Since this did not work out, you then told my manager that you lost money in your room. You even threatened my manager that if your request for the refund was not met within one hour, you would post bad comments on the Trip Advisor. My manager reiterated that you may do as you please as we know that that this in NOT TRUE. All these conversations were being captured/recorded on our surveillance cameras (which incidentally records voice too.) It would be our pleasure to provide to anyone who is interested in learning the truth.

I do believe that we had provided all our guests with the necessities that they need. We take pride of the way we had upkeep our facility to be as clean and hygienic .as possible.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Really recommend this place. Rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. Location is really good. The breakfasts arent great but with so many options locally it doesnt really matter.
Its not going to be the nicest place you'll ever stay but its an excellent budget option. Simple room with a shared bathroom which is something I dont often do but I would certainly recommend it here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We started our holiday in Myanmar here, and I fell in love with Myanmar right away.
We had an extra person with us and that was no problem of course we had to pay extra but we got an extra large room.
The owner was such a nice lady she called different organisations which bus organisation was the best and safest to take. She drew out a map and called even friends of her in in other cities to check if they could accomodate us. The guys who worked there were so polite and nice that I almost felt guilty to ask them something.
They were cleaning the bathrooms all day long and the rest of the hostel too.
When we left I wanted to give a tip for the boys but they wouldn't accept this because it is not in there nature.
The owner even prepared us a whole package with iced coffe sandwiches and bananes for our travel further.
If you start in Yangon and you want to meet with the great people of Myanmar start Here!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple