“Really Helpful Staff!”

Hotel Grand United (Chinatown)
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
bangkok
“Really Helpful Staff!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was beyond impressed how much the hotel's staffs tried to help me and the service mind they had, especially the one down stair, really thoughtful and helpful! He helped me a lot from talking to the fried banana seller at the shop near the hotel, walking with me to a noodle shops, calling for a taxi for the airport and bargaining for me at a very good price (only 8,000 Myanmar Kyat), till the last minute I left the hotel getting into the taxi!! It's a small hotel but the room was clean and not small at all. I didn't have the breakfast with them, but I did have a look--it's all ok. The only problem was the wifi connection in my room was really bad! Really difficult to check emails., etc. Anyway, will definitely better if the wifi is improved. I think I'll stay at this hotel again when I visit Yangon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hotel Grand Uni... H, General Manager at Hotel Grand United (Chinatown), responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Mingalabar!

Thanks for your feedback on Tripadvisor!

Our hotel greatly treasures the importance of providing genuine, first-class Burmese hospitality. We are please to hear that our concierge staff was able to help you closely and we have sent compliments to him.

We will be sure to further improve the WiFi services we provide and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not so distant future (hopefully, you will have the time to enjoy our breakfast the next time)!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The rooms size are quite compact as there's a armchair in front of the TV but it is suitable for travelers of 2 on short trips.
Rooms and bathrooms are quite clean. I stayed 2 non consecutive nights in this hotel hence was given different rooms for both times. As the hotel is not the newest, the tap might require some strength to turn on. (Happened to the first room only though.)
Unlike the village area, electricity are left on most of the time hence there's no need to notify the staff if you wish to use air con or take a hot shower.
They have quite a lot of wifi transmitter hence, wifi was fast and strong. Had a easier time trying to do research for my trip.
Breakfast was served at the rooftop hence you get the view of the whole chinatown and some of sule pagoda. The breakfast was buffet style, there's small changes to the menu but was tasty and actually very welcoming after many nights in Myanmar with common dishes of fried rice, fried noodles, fried vermicelli.
There's a very vibrant neighborhood with a lot of street side food (if you're daring to try) and many restaurants down at 19th street.
Just take a walk down all the way from 10th street to Sule Pagoda you can see Chinese, Muslim and then Indian stalls with food, clothes, stationery etc It's just like a warehouse sale location.
Service provided by the staffs are great too! They understand our English perfectly and even made suggestions and help with our itinerary and even haggling with the cab drivers. (If you say Jap's customer service are to be modeled after, I would say their customer service aren't any worse)
I would say their staffs are the best as compared to many hotels I've stayed.
There's no spa or swimming facilities though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank YunLingS
SG
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had the penthouse which had awesome views of the city, including the always facinating Shwedagon Pagoda. The room was clean, TV and wifi were great. The shower kept giving us too much hot water for some reason.

The property sits on a quiet street but a few steps beings you out to Chinatown which has food, locals, shops and the general hustle and bustle that Chinatowns bring. Taxis are easily flagged from the main road.

Front desk is very eager to help and speak good english. Breakfast was good for Myanmar standards. Price was ok, but for everything else that I'm getting I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrancisSG
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room is clean and comfortable. Bathroom is also clean with water heater. Free wifi with great signal. They also offered free breakfast which you will find on the top floor of the hotel so you can enjoy of litte view of Yangon while having breakfast. Staffs are very helpful and have servicemind.The location is where we can walk to Sule but a bit noisy at night from taxi in Chinatown.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kamoltip U
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Good breakfast, friendly staffs although with limited English. Clean room with amenities. They've let me checked in early (arrived at 9am) which was handy. Good WIFI connectivity. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank JunieTan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Grand United in Chinatown in Yangon back in April for 1 night. The hotel itself was clean, offered a free breakfast (that was good) and the staff were friendly and accommodating. My room itself had a nice sitting area and was street facing with a view of the activity in the city below. The bathroom was clean, bed seemed 'bug free' and the aircon worked great. The only slight annoyance was the wireless internet was spotty, but that happened at every single hotel and restaurant I visited in Myanmar. I think it's more of a country issue than a hotel specific issue. Yangon is a tough city to visit on many fronts, but this hotel seemed central enough for me to walk around or get taxis fairly easily. For an economical choice and a clean room, I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Grand Uni... H, General Manager at Hotel Grand United (Chinatown), responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Mingalabar!

Thank you very much for your positive review! This motivates us to work hard and ensure that we are on the right path for the high standards of services, facilities and hospitality we place on our hotel.

We will be sure to further work on the difficulties you face with our WiFi services and hope we can show that we can improve upon this weakness. We will also be sure to maintain our hotel's cleanliness, services offered by staffs and the comfort our hotel offers in such a busy and dynamic location.

We understand that we can further improve from the three-star rating and look forward to welcoming you again in this historic city!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

One of the best value for money hotels in Yangon. It's walking distance to 19th street (Chinatown) so basically it's very easy to grab something to eat and all the cab drivers know the location of this hotel. Room was perfectly clean and wifi signal and bandwidth in the rooms were fantastic, especially for Yangon standards. Easy to get to Shwedagon Pagoda and Sule Pagoda from here by cab, technically I walked to Sule but I realized in the heat some people would avoid this option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo