“Authentic local food, highly recommended”
Review of Pasanauri

Pasanauri
Ranked #69 of 807 Restaurants in Tbilisi
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The best Georgian cuisine and atmosphere, two locations in the center of the city Pasanauri Meidani (open 24 hours) and Pasanauri Rustaveli await you!
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Pasanauri (named for a small town in the Dusheti region) serves up very authentic and delicious Georgian cuisine in a pleasant atmosphere. You are as likely to encounter it on a night with an all-Georgian clientele as you are to find it filled with tourists. Although it has been "discovered," it hasn't lost its quality.

The menu is available in English and you will not have too much trouble making yourself understood to the staff (their English is generally good to passable).

My favorite dishes are the garlic chicken (shkmeruli) and the eggplant with walnuts and pomegranate (badridzhani nigvsit, I think). However, I dined here several times in the 2 1/2 months I was in Tbilisi, and tried most of the dishes--and they are all tasty! Of course, if you haven't tried khinkali (dumplings), they are excellent here. Georgians order them in bulk, so it's considered odd to just order 1 or 2.

Portions are generous here, as well. The prices are not inflated, considering how close this restaurant is to the central part of Tbilisi and many hotels and tourist attractions.

Pro tip: The restaurant can become *very* smoky, especially later in the evenings. If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, go in the early evening.

There are newer reviews for Pasanauri

Reviewed 20 May 2013

A lovely and popular restaurant. We were lucky to get a table. Local cuisine, the dumplings, similar to ravioli or Russian pelmeni ae excellent. The service is good, teh menu is in English. Inexpensive. Highly recommended,

1  Thank voyagemore
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I had a wonderful meal at Pasanauri in Tbilisi recently. I am a cook and cookbook writer and know a fair amount about Georgian food and am fussy about quality ethnic food when I travel. I hate watered down, tourist-versions of dishes, and usually spend a fair amount of time looking for food I will like. My guide recommended Pasanauri as a place that he would go to with his family. That was good enough for me. It is conveniently located just past the Academy of Sciences off of Rustaveli Avenue, and is convenient for travelers.

It is a small place with ten large booths and about five tables for two-to-four depending on the squeeze factor. The décor is simple, something along the lines of an English pub or tavern, but don't let that put you off - the food is good. The night I was there, I was the only traveler in house, everyone else around me was Georgian as far as I could tell.

I had a glass of the red Shumi to get me in the mood for food. Though it was a house wine, it was still quite good. The main course was veal with tomatoes in a clay dish. As expected, it was served sizzling and I had to gaze at it for a few minutes before I tucked in. It was very good, mildly spiced and perfectly cooked. As an accompanying dish I ordered the sulguni cheese in a clay dish - which is another Georgian specialty. When it cooled enough to eat, I sopped some up with a crisp on the outside, but soft and delicious on the inside, fresh Georgian bread. I also ordered two of the famous sauces, the azhika and the tekmali - both of which were superb. Pasanauri's azhika was moderately hot with a lot of tomato and mustard and was different from many versions of the sauce I have had. Their tekmali was also unique, with a lot more lemon flavor to it than usual - but it worked with the sour plums and was really wonderful!

The Georgians around me were ordering large plates of khinkali dumplings or clay-dish meals and were enjoying the food and the time-out spent together.

The menu is in Georgian and English which is a plus for international travelers, and the food is authentic, not-touristy, and reasonably priced. I highly recommend Pasanauri to everyone, but especially to those wishing to experience real Georgian food while in Tbilisi.

1  Thank laurakelley
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Visited with a group of twelve, having given advance notice, and staff coped very well.

Interesting menu, of local choices, and English descriptions on it. Service was good, especially taking large group into account. Portions were large and the food very well-prepared and tasty. The cheese bread seemed to be a major hit with everyone. Local wines and beers were also liked. The speciality, after which the restaurant is named, is definitely to be recommended.

Very good value and very pleasant evening.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had tasty khinkali followed by a number of Georgian dishes, all of which were served in abundant portions that practically defeated us. Good wines at decent prices. The interior is a little contrived (a bit 'wild west' in feel), and we ended up enjoying the evening less than we might because of the tables of European tourists surrounding us. But all in all this is a good bet if you happen to be near Rustaveli metro station.