“Good value and location.”
Review of Rainbow Hotel

Rainbow Hotel
Ranked #415 of 552 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Rainbow is my go to budget hotel when I come to visit Seoul. It has a good location so you can get around the city easily. It is reasonably priced so you can spend money on the sites, shopping, and food. It is no-frills, but it is a good budget hotel. If you want more go to a high end hotel. I always find I can sleep well here. I don't find the beds too hard. My only complaint is the floor heating. It can get pretty hot in the rooms in the early to mid spring time.

Kaya Hotel located nearby is also nice, but I like Rainbow Hotel a little more. Both are pretty much the same, good budget hotels.

Room Tip: If you are hungry there are two nice food options. Both are down the alley on the road where Namyeon...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We visited Seoul in Spring but I think we were too early for the cherry blossoms. Nevertheless, this hotel made our first visit to South Korea memorable. Location is very strategic since it is at the center of downtown Seoul and is a minute walk from Namyeong Station (Seoul Subway Line 1). Each room is equipped with a 90-inch flat screen wide TV, free internet access in their desktop, the usual freebies plus more (hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, mouth wash, hair gel, body lotion, and pink rubber slippers -- it's cute!). The floor in the bedroom is wooden and it heats up during the night (which i really liked since it's so cold outside: 4degC to -1degC). A lot of good restaurants nearby - I forgot the name of our favorite resto but I will make a separate review when I find the receipt. Very courteous staff - I believe Koreans are generally courteous. Anyway, to sum it up, I would really love to stay here again when I go back to Seoul. I highly recommend it! Thanks to TripAdvisor for the tips!

Room Tip: Room price in PhP: ~2,500 per night. Only downside: Bed is hard.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sagiscor
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Since Seoul is a big city, we plotted on a map everything we want to visit - N Seoul Tower, Seoul Station, Hongdae Free Market, Myeongdong etc and checked a hotel in the middle of it all.

Rainbow is a no-frills hotel. No passport copy needed. You just check in and that's it. They asked us to pay daily, no hassle, no questions.

We got a basic Ondol / Korean room and it really did its purpose - we slept like a baby because of the floor heating that functioned well.

Amenities are complete, with a fridge, a TV, a water dispenser and toiletries plus clean towels.

Area is a quiet one but it doesn't mean there's a shortage of shopping and eating options around. Easy to get to too, from the airport. We just got off at the Women's University stop and we walked 10-minutes. It's also a stone's throw away from the Namyeong subway station.

I would stay here again.

Stayed in March 2010.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Let me tell the downsides first in order to save your time in reading, as the pros about this hotel have already been extensively told by other reviewers:-- Bed is really hard, even in China standard. And the room inside is rather hot for me. Outer windows are fixed and can’t be opened to let cooler air in. Well, I could switch on the air-con but somehow I felt too cool for it being on and too warm for it being off. So with all these, for my two nights of stay, I did not sleep so well.

Then, for the pros:--

LOCATION wise. Within 5 mins on foot from two metro stations. One station from Seoul Station where you can take the Airport Express or ordinary metro to airports. I particularly love the vicinity which is not touristy at all, quiet and safe (I am afraid of staying in Dongdaemun or Myeong-dong which are too touristy). There are some local restaurants nearby, price good. A garlic fried chicken restaurant is just round the corner. To me, however, no regret if you haven’t tried this. The texture is rather dry, the overall feeling is just oily.

ROOM clean, spacious, windows with 3 layers so it prevents the noise from the frequent trains on flyover nearby. It provides a desktop computer inside the room but going internet was not possible, “access not allowed” in Korean as shown on the screen. I had told the front desk who said they would rectify but the problem was still there on my next day stay. Toiletries abundant. I like the drinking water dispenser (hot and cold) in particular, you don’t have to buy bottle water at all. You can prepare tea or cup noodles at any time.

STAFF ok, English ok. The front desk boy is better than the girl as he is more helpful with smile. He is kind to call up the DMZ tour orgainizer and let me speak and do the booking over the phone.

PRICE good. I booked the Ondol room (W66,000) as I particularly wish to try the traditional Korean style room with heated floor board. But too bad, I was told upon check-in that their heating system had broken down and so I changed to the standard double room at W60,000.

Overall, it’s a good budget hotel and is considerable, though I moved to Kaya Hotel for the following days for the Ondol experience. Kaya is just 3 mins away on foot and the price is even better, just W53,000!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MissHK2009
Reviewed 28 December 2011

10 of us from 3 families stayed at Rainbow hotel for 7 days. We took one ondol room and 2 twin rooms. The staff were very helpful with directions including booking taxis for us. The eateries nearby served very good food including the best garlic fried chicken. Nearby there are a few convenient shops to get fresh fruits and snacks. Just 10 metres away is the Namyeong station - just one station to Seoul station.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Stephenfishing
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Rainbow hotel is located besides Namyeong station. It's location is excellent and convenient. Food stores around are great and price are cheap. My family and I stayed here for 6 days and only cost 73000 won per night for a 3 beded room. It is value for money and highly recommend to family travelers.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank rain6271
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Like an idiot, I arrived in Seoul on Business, and never had a reservation at any hotel. This hotel took me, and while I planned to stay the night or a few hours to find a new hotel, I ended up staying 3 nights. I loved it.

Room Tip: Nice area, with nice people.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business