“Convenient Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #394 of 468 Hotels in Seoul
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I spent two nights at the Hotel Rainbow in downtown Seoul. The nicest thing about the hotel is its location--it's right near the subway line and surrounded by bakeries and places to eat. The rooms were clean, but there was no internet in them, and no wifi in the hotel. I asked the receptionist why, and he told me that it was an old building...and that's why there is a computer in the room. No one could get the computer to go online, so they moved me to a different room. But even there, I never was able to read one email or send one message. Quite frustrating. For that reason, I don't think I'd ever consider staying there again although it was a good hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We had our stays in Rainbow for 6D5N, overall its a fantastic location with only steps away from Namyeong Station, and its only 2stations away from the busiest train terminal; Seoul station. A basic clean and tidy budget hotel that you would find money worth spent for. As for foods, you would be easily accessed to streetsnacks/affordable meals in the close vicinity. Nothing more to expect..

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eploveblooms
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Hotel is very close (1-2 minutes) from Namyeong station which is only one stop from Seoul train station. Pretty easy to find, although make sure you look at the map and directions on their website as it can't be seen from the main street. It's very close to the USO for the recommended DMZ tour, as well as the war museum, Namsan tower and Itaewon.

Lots of amenities were provided for the low price (60k won/night for a double) making it excellent value: Large bottles of shampoo, soaps etc, plentiful towels, air conditioning, computer, very large LCD TV with HDMI input (bring your HDMI cable if your laptop supports it, would be great for watching those HD film rips), water purifier, thick windows which seem to block out all noise. Despite being close to the train tracks and facing in that direction I didn't notice the sound of trains. Room was spotless and cleaned daily. The bathroom was a "wet room" - the bath isn't sealed or plummed in and the water intead flows out from underneath the bath and down a drain in the centre of the bathroom. No problem as they provide flip flops to wear in the bathroom so your feet don't get wet if you need to go back in afterwards.

For comparison, i'm currently staying in a private double room in a youth hostel in Busan for 50k/night, and it includes hardly any of the facilities/amenities at Rainbow as well as being much more noisy!!

Staff were always polite. They were happy for me to pay each day separately.

I reserved using laterooms.com but the reservation did not go through and luckily they had a spare room when I turned up. So I would recommend booking directly through their website.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank musehead
Montagnola, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Rainbow is my go to budget hotel when I come to visit Seoul. It has a good location so you can get around the city easily. It is reasonably priced so you can spend money on the sites, shopping, and food. It is no-frills, but it is a good budget hotel. If you want more go to a high end hotel. I always find I can sleep well here. I don't find the beds too hard. My only complaint is the floor heating. It can get pretty hot in the rooms in the early to mid spring time.

Kaya Hotel located nearby is also nice, but I like Rainbow Hotel a little more. Both are pretty much the same, good budget hotels.

Room Tip: If you are hungry there are two nice food options. Both are down the alley on the road where Namyeon...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Cebu City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We visited Seoul in Spring but I think we were too early for the cherry blossoms. Nevertheless, this hotel made our first visit to South Korea memorable. Location is very strategic since it is at the center of downtown Seoul and is a minute walk from Namyeong Station (Seoul Subway Line 1). Each room is equipped with a 90-inch flat screen wide TV, free internet access in their desktop, the usual freebies plus more (hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, mouth wash, hair gel, body lotion, and pink rubber slippers -- it's cute!). The floor in the bedroom is wooden and it heats up during the night (which i really liked since it's so cold outside: 4degC to -1degC). A lot of good restaurants nearby - I forgot the name of our favorite resto but I will make a separate review when I find the receipt. Very courteous staff - I believe Koreans are generally courteous. Anyway, to sum it up, I would really love to stay here again when I go back to Seoul. I highly recommend it! Thanks to TripAdvisor for the tips!

Room Tip: Room price in PhP: ~2,500 per night. Only downside: Bed is hard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sagiscor
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Since Seoul is a big city, we plotted on a map everything we want to visit - N Seoul Tower, Seoul Station, Hongdae Free Market, Myeongdong etc and checked a hotel in the middle of it all.

Rainbow is a no-frills hotel. No passport copy needed. You just check in and that's it. They asked us to pay daily, no hassle, no questions.

We got a basic Ondol / Korean room and it really did its purpose - we slept like a baby because of the floor heating that functioned well.

Amenities are complete, with a fridge, a TV, a water dispenser and toiletries plus clean towels.

Area is a quiet one but it doesn't mean there's a shortage of shopping and eating options around. Easy to get to too, from the airport. We just got off at the Women's University stop and we walked 10-minutes. It's also a stone's throw away from the Namyeong subway station.

I would stay here again.

Stayed in March 2010.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Let me tell the downsides first in order to save your time in reading, as the pros about this hotel have already been extensively told by other reviewers:-- Bed is really hard, even in China standard. And the room inside is rather hot for me. Outer windows are fixed and can’t be opened to let cooler air in. Well, I could switch on the air-con but somehow I felt too cool for it being on and too warm for it being off. So with all these, for my two nights of stay, I did not sleep so well.

Then, for the pros:--

LOCATION wise. Within 5 mins on foot from two metro stations. One station from Seoul Station where you can take the Airport Express or ordinary metro to airports. I particularly love the vicinity which is not touristy at all, quiet and safe (I am afraid of staying in Dongdaemun or Myeong-dong which are too touristy). There are some local restaurants nearby, price good. A garlic fried chicken restaurant is just round the corner. To me, however, no regret if you haven’t tried this. The texture is rather dry, the overall feeling is just oily.

ROOM clean, spacious, windows with 3 layers so it prevents the noise from the frequent trains on flyover nearby. It provides a desktop computer inside the room but going internet was not possible, “access not allowed” in Korean as shown on the screen. I had told the front desk who said they would rectify but the problem was still there on my next day stay. Toiletries abundant. I like the drinking water dispenser (hot and cold) in particular, you don’t have to buy bottle water at all. You can prepare tea or cup noodles at any time.

STAFF ok, English ok. The front desk boy is better than the girl as he is more helpful with smile. He is kind to call up the DMZ tour orgainizer and let me speak and do the booking over the phone.

PRICE good. I booked the Ondol room (W66,000) as I particularly wish to try the traditional Korean style room with heated floor board. But too bad, I was told upon check-in that their heating system had broken down and so I changed to the standard double room at W60,000.

Overall, it’s a good budget hotel and is considerable, though I moved to Kaya Hotel for the following days for the Ondol experience. Kaya is just 3 mins away on foot and the price is even better, just W53,000!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo