“Great location, great staff, great hotel”

Lotte City Hotel Mapo
Ranked #43 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
Austin
“Great location, great staff, great hotel”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I stayed 7 nights while visiting our son. He lives in Sinchon and this is very convenient to his apartment with just a short (5 mins) taxi ride. Below the hotel you can access the subway and there are several restaurants and two coffee shops. Taxis are always available right outside the hotel. There are many restaurants within walking distance and the front desk was helpful finding what we wanted. We went to Babeans Coffee Shop under the hotel every day and enjoyed it a lot.

The staff were all very polite and accommodating, including front desk, restaurant, housekeeping and security.

Our room had one queen bed, a desk and chair, and a small sitting area. The room is small compared to most US hotels but perfectly adequate as long as you don't plan to spend a lot of time there. However, the bathroom was very roomy. Since we stayed 7 nights it was nice to have plenty of counter and shelf space in the bathroom and there is a large shower/bath area.

One problem we had is the room being way too warm. A common theme we notice with Seoul in the winter time is that it's freezing outside with snow and wind but way too hot inside for our liking. Even with a 5 minute taxi ride my wife and I would be opening the back windows with 28F temperatures. The hotel windows can only be opened by staff and we requested they open them and provide a fan. Even with sub-freezing temperatures and a fan we never got the room as cool as we wanted and the central A/C is shut off during the winter. Unfortunately the window ended up being closed the last couple days and by the time we returned to the room we just wanted to sleep and didn't want to wait for someone to come to the room. The days we did ask they were very happy to open the windows once we had our Korean daughter-in-law explain in Korean.

We ate in the restaurant a few mornings for the breakfast buffet and it was good.

A very positive attribute of this hotel is free wifi in the rooms for as many devices as needed (we had 5) and plenty of power receptacles in the room.

I am glad to have found this hotel and will likely stay next time I visit Seoul!

Room Tip: If you like your room to be cool, request a cooler room or to have the window opened and a fan provi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

It is located on the top of the subway station. Really convenient to go anywhere is seoul. In our 7 days there we used the subway all the time.

In the bottom floors there is a mall. It has a supermarket, cafés, fast food and restaurants. There is also a bank which does have a good exchange rate to change money.

The front desk were very friendly and will help you. Across the hotel is a bus stop where you can take bus to airport. Note there at 2 kinds of buses, one is cheaper one (which usually is full) and a more expensive luxury bus. The luxury bus attendant was nice and helps you with your luggage.

The area around the hotel has a fe restaurants. You need to know Korean in some of them since they mostly cater to locals. There are a few bars within waking distance.

Overall would highly recommend. Great location and convenient.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is right next to the Subway lines 1, 5, and 6. (like SUPER CLOSE). We took the Arex from the airport with no problem. However, I think next time I would take a taxi. All those escalators and stairs....No Thank You. We each had one large suitcase and a carry on since we planned on being in Asia for 2 1/2 weeks. I honestly picked this hotel by the reviews of it being so convenient to the subway. No one mentioned all those stairs. Especially if you are coming via Arex. Yes, there are escalators...but not all stairs have escalators or elevators.

The staff is English speaking and was very helpful with all requests (including a late check out). The hotel has a couple coffee shops on the way to the subway and there is a grocery store attached on the Basement floor. This was most convenient to grab bottle water and snacks.

Our room was spacious enough and modern looking, which we prefer. The only negative thing about this hotel was the elevators. They were VERY slow. Molasses slow. We were on the 8th floor and it took forever for an elevator to come up to us.

When we checked out, the front desk was more then happy to keep our items locked for us while we did one last day of sight seeing.

Room Tip: We requested a high floor room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Our experience at the Lotte City Hotel of Mapo was very good. It is a business hotel so don’t expect any charm but if you want a comfortable, centrally located & connected to the airport (direct train from Incheon to Gongdeok station in 43 min) hotel, Lotte hotel will be fine. Breakfast buffet is great. Rooms are spacious and clean, the view from some of them is very nice as well especially at night. I would really recommend this hotel to all foreign travelers, for business or family trips. This is good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank barthuelt
New Delhi
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was my second year stay at Mapo with my family and felt happier than last year. I was given a comfortable room facing the church on the back side. Room was nice, comfortable, washroom had both shower cabin and tub. Internet was free, we needed an adaptor which was given very promptly. Front staff is English speaking, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful .I was pleasantly surprised to get an eye medicine I desperately required at the shop opposite the reception.

I again have very good words about the coin laundry on 4th floor, vending machines on each floor in case you want a late night snack and the supermarket in the basement and the so convenient connectivity to the subway station. The hotel provides a convenient drop facility to a few areas of attraction. You can not ask for a better location—Mapo is close to Seoul train station, connected by affordable limousine bus available at very frequent intervals for Incheon, a couple of stations away from Itaewon. Hana Bank on floor 1 takes care of currency exchange . The basement supermarket takes care of all your needs from provisions to coffee shops, eateries.

Room Tip: Main road facing rooms give you a better view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SLochan
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Located in a lovely inner city suburb of Seoul. It's a short taxi or train ride away from Myengdong but the area itself (Mapo) has all the essentials - good cafes, street food, supermarkets, a running track through a park and a subway station right at the hotels doorstop.

The rooms are fine. Lacking in character but very comfortable. The gym in the hotel is very average and the restaurant wasn't good.

For the money, this is a great choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Juliet r
Lottecityhotel-mapo, 제너럴 매니저 at Lotte City Hotel Mapo, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your experience with other travellers on Tripadvisor.com.

I am very pleased that you are satisefied about your staying with us. Your review will be definately helpful for our potential guests as you covered everything regarding all about our hotel with additional information for a running track in a park.

Once again, I appreciate your valuable comment and I really hope to see you again in near future.

Best regards,
Raymond LEE
LOTTE CITY HOTEL MAPO
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just returned from a 4-day stay at the Lotte City Hotel Mapo. The small, 8-floor, 284-room, business hotel, located inside an apartment complex, has some good points and some that could be improved.

There are various means of transportation from the airports to the hotel. You can take the KAL Airport bus to the front of the hotel and the A’REX commuter train stops in the hotel basement at Gongdeok Station. Taxi’s are incredibly inexpensive in Seoul, so that is also an option.

The hotel is situation above a small shopping arcade with restaurants and a large grocery store. The hotel is not located near sights; you will have to travel. I had several unsuccessful attempts explaining to taxi drivers that I wanted to go to the Lotte City Hotel Mapo; they did not recognize the hotel. Eventually, I said I wanted to go to Gongdeok Station and that was successful. I later got a card from the hotel’s front desk to show the drivers. However, I was never returned the same route from the same place and the fare was always different.

Overall, the hotel is fairly good. It is quiet and the rooms are comfortable. As one should expect, the one restaurant, NARU, is very expensive, but in the area, there are not a lot of obvious options.

The deal-breaker for me, that will prevent me from returning to this hotel is, since it is a business hotel, I expected to be able to get an iron and ironing board, however, those items are not available to guests. I was told I had to take my clothes to the 4th floor and use the presser. Also, at a business hotel with a Business Center, the only printer had a sign that it was “Out Of Order”; that’s totally unacceptable

The Lotte City Hotel Mapo may not be your best choice.

Room Tip: I asked for, and got, a quiet room (not facing the main street, but still had a good view) on the 8t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TerryJaxBchFL

I am very grateful for your detailed review regarding all about our hotel. It will be definitely very helpful to our potential guests and to us.

For more details with your review, the area where our hotel is located is very famous for Korean BBQ in Seoul. Therefore there are a number of restaurants are operating in nearby.

I feel deeply being sorry for your inconvenience in regard to the ironing and the business center. As you pointed for us, our facilities such as swimming pool, gyms and the laundry room are located on the 4th floor. We are operating the facility to provide a service for guests who need doing a washing or ironing just small units of cloths can use it easily and quickly rather than using our laundry service. Also for the printer, unfortunately, there was a technical problem with a wireless connection between computers and the printer. We expected it might be fixed in a day but the time had been taken for more days. Once again, I am really sorry for your inconvenience. We will definitely share your valuable comment and try to find a best way for providing excellent service quality to you and our guests.

Once again, thank you very much for being our guest and your valuable review. I hope to see you again in near future.

If you have any further inquiries regarding hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,