“Starting to fall off”

Dongdaemun Shopping Complex
Book In Advance
US$70.00*
and up
Central Seoul Evening Tour including Deoksu Palace, Seoul Plaza and Dongdaemun...
US$113.88*
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Starting to fall off”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I went there thinking I would come home with a bag full of cool and unique things that I would buy on the cheap... Ended up leaving with a lot of expensive things bought at department stores...

Things that are cheap here now... are very cheap in terms of quality. They have some very nice things, but you are paying retail prices for off name brand items... I would prefer to just shop here.

I will say that a lady who sold me clothes a couple years ago recognized me, and even gave me the (almost) same deals as before. I will seek her out on the next visit.

Other than that, Korea is westernized, so expect to find everything you would find anywhere else, at a very high price.

1 Thank Billy K

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Air-conditioned Bugis Street”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It is the Korea version of Bugis St in Singapore. Shops aplenty but most are selling the same stuff. Not very cheap and not easy to haggle prices either, especially if they know that you are a tourist. Surprisingly I can find the exact same products online at cheaper prices.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank ladyshalyn
Singapore, Singapore
204 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,415 helpful votes
“Mishmash shopping experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Located next to JW Marriot, this complex mainly houses stalls selling fabrics, ribbons, lace, and bedsheets etc. To be honest, there are better options, including the underground passage near Dongdaemun subway. For jewellery etc, you should go over to Doota or Migliore. My wife loved these two places so much that we were there for two hours while she browsed and bought several pieces. I must admit some of them are good, but still a little prices. But do not leave the area without visiting the Dongdaemun Design Centre across the road. It's a fantastic building in terms of architectural aesthetics, and also houses a design museum, a lounge and several lovely displays of furniture and plants etc.

4 Thank Orator11
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lotte fashion mall and beware of taxi touts after midnight”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I like Lotte fashion mall (the last mall along the street if you start from Doota). It sells a lot more unique fashion clothing that are designed by the locals. Prices are not at the lowest range but they are reasonable, considering the quality is better too. Train service ends around 12am, so be sure to catch the last train otherwise it will be a pain getting home because all the taxis suddenly become touts and will not go by meter. They want to ridiculously exorbitant rates (50,000 won just to go apgujeong where my hotel is, which is like a 10-15mins ride! That's my taxi fare from incheon airport to apgujeong). Thank god the tourist information center nearby is still opened so I went there to find help. That's when the staff told me that there's a nightbus service N13 that goes to sinsa station, which is the closest to my destination (my hotel is in between sinsa and apgujeong). I had to walk a little bit from the station but better than paying 50,000 won! The nightbus cost just 2,000 won.

If you are staying somewhere else, suggest you ask the staff in tourist center which nightbus service is heading towards the direction of your hotel, then drop off at the best bus-stop and grab a cab. Taxis at anywhere else goes by meter, it's just touristy places like Dongdaemun that have all these touts.

7 Thank Cafelattepop
Seoul, South Korea
348 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Jeil-Pyeonghwa Market at Dongdaemun”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I used to recommend Doota, Migliore, and other buildings for shopping to my friends. However, personally I do not buy there even though I admit their designs are pretty good and very " a la mode". But today I found another building named, "Jeil Pyeonghwa market" where I could find more varieties and very fashionable goods. I certainly take my friends to this place than any other shopping places in Seoul.

6 Thank Hirakawa_Eki