“Very Cozy and homey place”
Review of Namu Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Namu Guesthouse
Ranked #52 of 958 Seoul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had stayed in Namu in the early April 2014. I was very impressed with Yeowon and her staff there. They are very friendly and helpful with the warm welcome chat. The location is quite good, I took a while of time to walk from Exit 2 of Hongik station but not too far. There are several cafe and restaurant along the way, including 2 big supermarket where you can get fresh fruit, snack or drink.
At the guesthouse, although there are only 2 shared bathroom but it's not a problem.It is clean and comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning is nice and easy. I enjoyed cooking them myself. strongly recommend for the easy backpackers loooking for the homey place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Haruetai
NAMU_Guesthouse, 매니저 at Namu Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hello
I am a new manager here.
Even if i couldn't see you at that time.
i think you had great times in here.
And wish you keep your good memories though your whole life

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed for few days here in July 2013. We reached early and Yeowon was expecting us to reach at night. It was really great to see a warm welcome from Yeowon after a tiring journey from Busan. Really loved the time that we had in Namu. Been wanting to write a review but couldn't find the time. Felt so welcomed here. It was like a home for us. And Yeowon always manage to cook something for us at night. We went there during Ramadhan. She was very thoughtful of the girls and make sure they had something to eat when they break their fast and before the fasting starts at dawn. She also suggest few places where halal food is available too.

The location is great too. It's just a few minutes walk to the Hongik Uni. metro station. And there were lots of place to hangout nearby too. All within walking distance. Most importantly, it's a safe and quiet neighbourhood. There were WiFi too. And PC for guest to use. Awesome breakfast every morning. The other guests were friendly too!

I felt sorry though because we were such bad guests because the people of Namu were so nice and friendly to us and we were very shy (and kinda wake up late almost everyday). Lol. Anyways, i would love to comeback and stay here again. Hopefully I'll be back soon. ㅋㅋㅋ

Everytime I meet my friends who plan to go to Seoul, I would say, go to Namu! And I would tell you to do the same thing. ^^

Thank you Yeowon and the other staffs for having us. Really appreciate the hospitality. Thank you! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wayne K
NAMU_Guesthouse, 오너 at Namu Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Hello~ Wayne~ Thank you for your thoughtful review :) I didn't expect your review at all, it's because that it's been a long time since we met each other :) . so i was suprised and I'm moved.
Thank you so much.
Yes, I remember that time you,6persons arrived at Namu with big luggages . at that time i was so excited. haha . Actually I was so impressived by you all. As you told, you have a different religion.but you made a trip together ,and you collaborated in harmony :)
At i'm writing this message, I miss you and that time..
Thank you again and Hope to see you soon :)
Take care ,Stay healthy :)
Regards
Yeowon

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed at Namu in August 2013 (once in room C with my partner, and once in the dorm room alone), it felt like my home away from home. The ladies are so nice, and always cook surprise breakfasts for everyone. The place is clean, and 'homely' - in fact I honestly feel like its my Seoul home. I will visit again in a couple of months and plan to stay at Namu again! The area of Hongdae is very cool, lots of young people and lots of cool cafes and bars. The nearest subway stop - Hongnik University has a line direct to Inchon, so if you have baggage, no need to worry about swapping several trains in rush hour foot traffic. See you soon Namu!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
NAMU_Guesthouse, 오너 at Namu Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hello~ Nattan~ Happy New Year !!
This is Yeowon in Namu guesthouse
Thank you for your review :) It's been a long time since we met ^^ . I realized , It was YOU when i received new booking via Expedia a few days ago !! Thank you for booking again and for good comments :)
I'm looking forward to seeing you again :)
Take care ~

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed 6 nights with my wife and my 20 month old toddler. We used the D room for the duration of our stay (double bed + bunk bed)

Location
Namu guesthouse is located within a 10mins walk from the Honggik university metro station. The area itself is buzzing with eateries, cafes, and for the ladies plenty of shopping near the metro station itself. Honggik is also a centrally located area. Most attractions within Seoul city is only a handful of metro stations away.

Guesthouse Facilities
The guest house is tastefully furnished. It feels very cosy the moment you step inside. The common areas are cleaned daily and kept tidy.

House rules clearly state no alcohol and to keep noise down after 11pm. During my stay every guest was cooperative in that respect. However do note that sound insulation is rather poor in the rooms, so you do hear guest activity outside the room. Shouldn't be too much of a problem when your fellow guests stick to the house rules though.

This is a well equipped guesthouse. Two PCs are provided for guest use and free WIFI is available. Full kitchen facilities and washing machine are available for use.

The bedroom I stayed in was fairly basic, but adequate. Mattresses are noticeably worn, but we were still able to get our needed rest.

One area of concern is that the rooms do get a little cold during the colder months, and the blankets provided are rather thin.

Personally this is where I think the guesthouse really shine. The owner Yeowon and her assistants do go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Yeoman paid special attention to my family's needs as we were traveling with a young child and we were extremely grateful for her efforts. She even bought my boy a small toy, which was a really nice gesture.

Overall the guesthouse feels very well managed and would be at the top of my consideration if I do visit Seoul again. Congratulations to Yeowon and her team for a job well done.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cjentan
NAMU_Guesthouse, 오너 at Namu Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hello C.J ,this is Yeowon in Namu Guest house. First, thank you for your reviews :) As you know , i have children so that i wanted your family to travel easily and comfortable :) Come to think of it, I should have provided a padded blanket for you . I'm sorry .
Hope you had great memories in Seoul :) Again, Thank you for staying at Namu .
Please say hello to your wife and a cute baby :)
Take care of yourself !

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at Namu Guesthouse for 3 weeks during October 2013. I travelled to S.Korea alone and decided to take out a 3-person room just for myself, as it was my first time travelling and I was sceptical about sharing with people I didn't know.

I LOVED my time at Namu, and always felt like it was my "home" when coming back for the evening. It was so easy to make friends with other guests, and I wouldn't have had any issues if I did stay in the 6-person bunk-bed room. Also, you get your own locker for any personal belonging which you would want to stowe away.

The new owner Yeo-Won, and guesthouse manager Seung-Ah (aka Aileen) were so so welcoming, and their emails were very friendly when answering my questions before I arrived. I was given lots of advice on where to go on a daily basis, and they always asked me my plans, booked tickets for me, and even accompanied me to places sometimes! If they had made food for themselves, they always made extra and offered me some :) By the end of my trip, they felt like family :)

The place was always cleaned top-to-bottom at around 10-11am every day. The door is secured with pin-code access, and free wifi, use of kitchen, and use of washing machine is available. You don't need to bring your own towel, as they have so many!

Sleep quality-wise... I'm someone who likes to lie in later than 8am, (I was there for a while so no rush to wake up super early!) but this was understandably difficult in a flat that can sleep up to 17 people. There are 2 shared bathrooms so I felt that it was easier to get up later and avoid the "morning rush". Also note that beds are harder than what Westerners are used to.

Location-wise, I'm not the fastest of walkers, and i got to the station each day in around 6 -8 minutes. It's a very easy route and the shops and cafés along the way are cute and bustling. The area around the station (Hong-ik University) is a 'student' area, and on the opposite side of the station to the guesthouse are many quirky shops and cafés which stay alive late into the night, so I always felt safe coming back alone if it was late.

All in all, when I return to Korea (which I definitely will!) I would definitely stay at Namu again :) I miss the staff and they made sure that I had a great time!! I can't wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Room A = Shared Room with 6 bunk-Beds. This room has a shared bathroom, which is available to guests...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank valentine58

Hello Valentine ~ This is Yeowon in Namu Guest house , Thank you for your detailed reviews :)
I miss you so much~!! I feel that you are here not there~!!!
If you come back , I'll make you kimbab again ~!
Hope you have a great day , It's getting cold , take care not to catch a cold ~
See you soon~!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

So, bottom line is, it's just damn comfortable! The staff is super nice and accommodating and make you feel welcome. The rooms are clean, neat and has everything you need. There's a rule about keeping it down around 11pm (which makes sense) but you might be rooming with some night owls and if your a light sleeper, it might be a bit tricky. No drinking and no smoking inside which is why the place always smells so clean and wonderful. I love the smell of the common room, whatever it is they put there.

Our only hiccup was that it's a 10-15 minute walk from the train station which is, to be honest, not much of a big deal. But when it's late and your tired from a long day's exploring, that long trek back to the guesthouse is the last thing you'd want haha. But the neighborhood is awesome so, honestly, it's a small sacrifice for some peace and quiet.

Would I go back again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Hello ~ Nicole
This is Yeowon in Namu Guest house. Thank you for your generous review :)
How are you ? It's been 2 months since we met .. I'm sorry , it's too late to reply. Do you remember that you gave me lamb when you left?? It was so good~!! :)
Actually we didn't have enough time to meet each other, fortunately, we talked a lot the day you left!
If you come to Seoul again, please come to Namu again :)
Say hello to your sister ~!
Take care not to catch a cold ~~ See you

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This place is not just a hotel, this is a sanctuary for anyone who wants to truly relax and soak up the beauty of the city. The service was very good. The staff is excellent, able and willing to do anything for you. The rooms are clean and spacious.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends