“Another winner!! But must be prepared to eat like a Korean!!”

Wonjo WonHalmae Dakhanmari
Ranked #43 of 122,539 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: Asian, Korean, Soups
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Gwanghwamun / Jongno
Kuala Lumpur
“Another winner!! But must be prepared to eat like a Korean!!”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

What is better than a wholesome meal of chicken and chicken soup on a cold cold day!! We wanted to try Dakhanmari and took great pains to walk to this alley using a slip of paper saying "Dakhanmari Meokja-golmok" (Dakhanmari = Chicken Soup, Meokja = Food, Golmok = Alley). Again we met a kind gentleman who knows a smattering of English and he walked us to the alley...Wow, wonderful Ahjussi!!! He recommended the Grandma shop ( Jinokwha Halmae ) which apparently is the original outlet but the queue was as long as a choo choo train. The four hungry travellers ain't gonna wait in that queue so we went around scouting for another alternative. So we found this shop by chance....it was very busy but no queue...and we can see empty tables (only a few left) so we dashed inside. What a wonderful choice!! We were quickly made comfortable and put on the bibs so we won't dirty our clothes. So cute!! Then the chicken in a big big metal bowl came and plop it went over the stove on our table. We were given a tutorial on how to eat the chicken and how to make the sauce. It was such a joy sitting there seeing our chicken cooking...a sense of excitement to be sitting along with the locals...Yes, there were hardly any Caucasians here but I should not say there are no tourists as I believe quite a number of tables although Asians, they sounded foreign just like us!!!

The chicken soup is delicious and so is the chicken coated in the sauce. The sauce is a mix of soya sauce and vinegar, and sugar ( I think). You mix this sauce with chopped cabbage and
chillie powder and a dash of mustard. Delicious!!! It was a really fulfilling meal and we were stuffed. KRW45,000 for 4 pax is really reasonable!!! We even drank Shoju just like the locals...what a merry night!! And as we were leaving, lo and behold, we saw the Tripadvisor certificate on the door!!! Hahaha, I rest my case!!!

• Visited March 2013
11 Thank Taipei101

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Perfect for a cold day”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

First of all this is a real Korean experience, a gang of Aguma`s (Old Korean women) hanging around, seemed like they where working there, but did not do any work. But the service was good from a young Korean guy who could speak some English, he took me through the whole process of eating this delicious chicken soup. Its made on your own table and it all goes in steps, first waiting for the chicken to finish cooking, then after a good while of eating the noodles goes in the pot and so on. And for those people who wrote that this place is mostly for western people, we must have gone to two different places, only Korean families where eating there when I was there, and it has a real good Korean atmosphere! I was living in Seoul for about half a year and went to a countless amount of eating and drinking places, and this was one of the really good ones. Especially good for a really cold day!

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Sivilsnuten
Seoul, South Korea
“Have to say a "Real Korean person" doesn't eat here...”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I noticed most of the reviews were from non-Koreans, or tourists, as a Korean person that know what Korean chicken should taste like, this is far from even meeting the basic requirement of what Korean chicken soup taste like. As for the "tourists" that liked it, I'll be more than happy to take you to places that are much superior for Korean chicken soup.

• Visited December 2011
16 Thank crayonshinchan
Singapore, Singapore
“Best chicken soup in town... if you can find it.”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

There is a cluster of chicken soup restaurants in that particular backalley. I have eaten 2 of them I found that the best one is the one with 3 storeys. (http://www.wonjodark.co.kr) The chilli sauce is bar-none. You can add the chilli into the soup if you prefer it to be spicy.
The place is packed everyday up to 10pm. Be prepared to wait. Also, get a table seat if you are uncomfortable with sitting down for long periods of time like me.

• Visited September 2011