“small but nice”
Review of Daehanjang Motel

Daehanjang Motel
Ranked #445 of 958 Seoul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2013

its located near Chungmuro Station where you can walk to quite a lot of places. Its clean , neat and the lady there is very nice and friendly. I love it and its value for money. I stayed 3 nights there. The location is very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nanda_el_servega
There are newer reviews for Daehanjang Motel

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This motel is really good for budget traveler. Its location is the most plus factor to choose this motel. It's easy to get access to other main places like namdaemun market, myeongdong, dongdaemun and anguk. Even the price is cheap, this motel is really clean and worth of money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Prior to staying at the Daehanjang motel, I was staying at a 5 star hotel at the Gangnam area for a business trip hence I had somehow tried the best and the 'worst' accommodation in Seoul. Worst? Not exactly! On the contrary, I feel quite comfortable staying at this 1 star motel as a solo traveler.

To reach this motel, you can take the airport limousine bus 6015 from Incheon International Airport (along the kerbside outside the Arrival Hall). A one way trip cost 10,000 won and the journey takes about 45 to 60 mins. Another option is to take the airport express followed by a transfer to the subway, however this is too cumbersome especially when you have luggages. You do not need to worry about missing your stop as announcement in english and korean will be made prior to each stop. To reach the motel, you will need to alight at the 'Hotel PJ (Chungmuro Station)' bus stop. A good indication that you are arriving (2 stops away) at your destination is when you see more and more shoppers on the right side of the bus and that is likely the Myeongdong shopping street. After passing this area, look out for the Daehan Multiplex (a tall grey glass building with many large movie posters) and here's where you alight.

Once you alight, you will see the Chungmuro subway station, the Daehan Multiplex and a Dunkin donut cafe just opposite the road. Walk up the slightly elevated road between the multiplex and the dunkin donut and at the first left alley, you will see a small red sign and a glass door and that is the entrance to the motel. This motel really provides a fuss-free accommodation. After showing my booking form from Agoda, I was shown my room in 2mins and my checkout was even faster in 10 secs (I just dropped my key, said goodbye and left). This is something the 5 star hotels can't match!

I booked a single room and I was pleasantly surprised that it came with a double bed. The room is relatively small however it is fully equipped with a flat screen TV, small refrigerator, air-con and an attached bathroom with towels and toiletries provided. The shower gel and the shampoo comes in large 750ml size which were used by previous guests hence in view of personal hygiene, I used my own. Do note that they do not provide toothbrush, shaver, etc. however you can easily get them from the 7-eleven across the road. Do note that there is no elevator and you might need to do some climbing exercise if you are given rooms at the higher floors.

There are several eateries opposite the motel, however the operators do not speak english or has english menu hence I gave them a skip. If you want to try korean food, walk along the main road in the direction of Dunkin donut, you will find a small korean eatery (opposite Holly's cafe) which serve reasonably good meals throughout the day and most importantly, they have a english menu. Btw, the Namsangol Hanok Village is just 100m from this eatery on top of the elevated road.

I would choose to stay at the Daehanjang motel again for the price (3 nights here is cheaper than 1 night stay at a 5 star hotel at Gangnam), the location (next to subway, 15mins walk to Myeongdong, Namsan cable car station to N Seoul tower, etc.) and the fuss free experience, that is if I travel solo. However, if I travel with my family, I might choose a more family friendly accommodation with larger rooms probably at the Myeongdong area.

Room Tip: As there is no elevator in this motel, try asking for a room at the first level if possible. I don...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank mr_kennethho
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Exit 1 or Exit 2 at Chungmuro Station. The hotel is at the lane between the Daehan Cinema and Dunkin Donuts. You won't find "Daehanjang", but it's the building with the red sign MOTEL.

For me, the best place to stay if Hotel area Myeongdong or Dongdaemun area are full.

Hotel provided amenities, 2 yakult and mineral water everyday.

You can also take a 15-20min walk to the Myeongdong shopping area, or take the subway (1 station away) Many shop closed at 10pm.

If you want to go to airport, you can go by bus or subway.
1-Bus stop for bus direct airport just cross the main road in front of Cinema

2-Take subway and transfer to Seoul Station. Choose express train or normal subway train.

Room Tip: Take 1st floor because no elevator. But Hotel owner/staff so kind, they will help you to carry the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is about the 3rd time i stayed in this hotel /motel.
Small rooms but it's ok nice staff but does not speak too much english. Get a card to show the hotel name and address.
Airport bus is right outside on the opposite side of the street, in front of the 7-11 store.
Subway station is right in front of the theater as you walk down the street from the hotel.
Lots of eateries around the area so eating is not a problem.
Over all a great hotel/motel to stay at.
No elevator so you have to walk up!!!!!!!!! oh well I guess it's my exercise for the day hahahaha

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The hotel was very easy to find and very accessible. Take airport bus 6015 for 10k and get off at Chungmuro station. Cross the street, and the hotel is at the lane between the cinema and Dunkin Donuts. You won't find "Daehanjang", but it's the building with the sign MOTEL. The staff didn't speak English, but we managed with very basic words. There are a few Korean eateries around the hotel but we didn't try them as we can't find anything written in English. Apart from Dunkin Donuts though, there is a Starbucks and Lotteria (similar to McDonalds) within the area, and a few other eateries in the next 2 lanes. There is a 7-11 across the street where we got our Seoul City Pass Plus cards which we used for trains and buses. The card itself costs 3k won, and we initially had it loaded for 10k won which lasted us 3 days. We had it loaded again for 5k, a total of 15k which was exactly what we needed for 5 days. Of course, it all depends on your itinerary. The Namsangol Hanok Village is just a 5-10min walk from the hotel. Just walk towards the left side of the cinema until you reach Holly's Cafe. The lane beside it leads to the Hanok village. You can also take a 15-20min walk to the Myeongdong shopping area, or take the subway (1 station away). There is also a Catholic cathedral in the Myeongdong area for those interested.

The only negative comments I have were that the bed and pillows were really hard for our liking. We just managed by using our travel pillows on top of their pillows. They also provided blankets but we preferred to use our own blanket. They also didn't have an elevator, but the staff helped us carry our luggage to and from our rooms. Initially, we were assigned a room at the 3rd flr but we asked to be transferred to 1st flr on our 2nd day. The staff were really nice, and the rooms had all the basic things you would need including a small ref and really big tv. Subway was just steps away. Overall, great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hopebaker
Reviewed 16 October 2011

If your looking for the Conrad or Ritz Carlton it's not. What it is, a great location, subway literally outside your motel. Rooms are small well at least mine was small, but it was comfortable and clean, they provide you with all the basic items, shampoo, conditioner, tooth paste!!!!!! Gel and lotion. All on the Costco size not the little trial bottles.
It is a hard place to find even for the taxi driver. So here is the heads up on getting there;
Take the limo bus from Incheon airport, bus #6015 cost is 10,000 won. Get off at the CHUNGMORU stop, not at the Myeong Dong stop.
After you get off there will be a 7-11 store, and across the street you will see a Lotteria (their version of McDonald), then the large Daehan Theater with Starbucks within the same building.
Then a Dunkin Donuts shop, the lane between the theater and Dunkin Donuts is where the motel is located about 30 feet up. So you need to cross the street and the cross walk is right at the limo bus stop.
The owners are the nicest people you can come across but no English understanding at all. It was raining and they gave me an umbrella to use. Water dispenser is at every floor complimentary, nice gesture. No elevator so you gotta walk, I guess it's good exercise for me.
Bed was very very hard even by my standards (you could walk on the bed and not disturb the person next to you), pillow is also hard, it's the large buckwheat type.

Room Tip: Can't really say as I have only my room to compare
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo