“Good Location, Simple Room”

Chungmuro Residence
Ranked #228 of 549 Speciality Lodging in Seoul
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Location, Simple Room”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My stay was from 27 - 30 April and it was not short of expectation. The hotel is near rows of pet shop so walking back to the hotel each night is enjoyable watching those puppy eyes staring at you. The room has high ceiling and relatively clean bathroom. I couldn't get the TV to function properly until the last day. They are promoting green initiative so they only change your bedsheets and towels on Sunday. My request for an additional towel took less than 5 minutes.

Overall it's a nice place to stay if you are not particular about amenities. The hotel is located between Dongdaenum and Myeong-dong so if you are a fan of walking, you can walk to these shopping areas without taking the subway.

To travel from the Airport, take the Airport Bus 6015 and drop at Hotel PJ stop. Turn right and walk for about 5 minutes and you will see the hotel (which is opp a Cathedral Church).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JJess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Checkin was very easy and only a 5 minute straight walk from a big subway station. The rooms are very large and have lots of cupboard space and a fridge. Staff don't greet you when you walk in and out the lobby, they are usually on their phones or sleeping. The bathroom was not very clean and was just one room so everything got wet from the shower. Towels were stained and only changed upon request even if they were wet and on the floor. Sheets were changed Sundays apparently which we weren't there for on a 5 night stay so by the end our sheets were filthy.. The room had floor heating and it didn't work that well so don't stay here in winter! Housekeeping only changed the bins and cleaned nothing so our sink and floors were also very dirty by the end of our stay which was irritating! The location and size of the rooms are the only positive.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank frequentraveller1995

Travellers are raving about these Seoul hotels

melaa
Reviewed 23 January 2014

worth every single cent spent.nearby airport shuttle bus and lo.r.ts of eateries. Lrt sttion 6 min away.room very spacious and it comes with washing machine.family room is big enough for 5. With the small amount of money spent i cant ask for more. Good choice, strongly recommend

Room Tip: Choose the ones with loft
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank soh l
saint louis
Reviewed 13 January 2014

First let me just say I did not book this hotel - it was booked on behalf of an adoptee tour I took from Sept 27- Oct 14th. and I was ripped off.

I stayed in four room configurations here, so I've got a good grasp on each room except for the loft rooms. This place specializes in chinese visitors so you will find most of the staff is chinese.

the staff is nice enough, and they WILL store your luggage if for instance you are going on a mini trip to Jeju-do and only taking a carryon. however, upon return I was to switch rooms bc of a booking problem, and they made me pack up all my things and come back to the lobby area, before they would give me a new key to the new room .... on the same floor. the little store next to the lobby is awesome. people always were nice and helped.

If you are American -- Korean beds are VERY VERY HARD, and there is no separate shower ( I knew this going in - but you may not ) but is in the toilet area. Korean bath towels are SMALLER ( like all things in Korea, it's called Korean portions ) and the provide you with tiny discs of soap, but bring your own shampoo/toiletries.

In some rooms there is a giant drum like ceiling lamp. don't look at it too hard because I became mesmerized by the giant dust bunnies that lived inside. also - my shower was being held together with duct tape. TV channels are mostly in korean, there are english channels. the first room I had had an amazing view of Namsam. another guest stayed in the loft rooms and was bitten up by some sort of bug we never discovered -- and later in the trip and several room moves later, I also got bit up.

surrounding areas. you are in the middle of like motorcycle land/ puppy prisoners. BOTH sides of the street are lined with puppies in plastic boxes in windows. its DISGUSTING. There is a Burger King, Popeyes chicken and dunkin donuts down the street for Americans looking for comfort food ( they also deliver 24 hours a day ) Myeongdong is an outdoor shopping venue which is amazinggggggg and close $4 cab ride or two stops on the bus. I saw a rat the size of a cat one night crossing the alley way. that was fun. Also, when you see DOUBLE barber poles - it's a front of adult massage, and guess what - its one door down from the hotel. lol.

the last night I changed to Pacific Hotel -- it caters to foreigners. actual beds, shower/bathtub, and bidet. the rooms are dated, but it felt like heaven after two weeks in that hole.

it's custom to bring gifts to people you meet. it's not a bad idea to pack some local chocolate and present to the staff -- they will be nicer to you.

Room Tip: room with Namsam tower is beautiful ( seoul tower )
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ItsKaren
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel was great for my family and friends to stay at for 1-2 weeks during my wedding. They are very helpful in storing bags, and accommodating your needs. The staff speaks English very well. The apartment style rooms with a kitchen and refrigerator are great. Parking sucks around the area, but hopefully you are using the subway or cabs. Both are very cheap. Take a taxi from Seoul Station, it's only $5 or less, however they may have a little difficulty finding it. Near many attractions (not walking distance, but close). I suggest if you are staying for more than a few nights, this place is the spot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Pros:
(1) Convenient location, 5 mins walk after coming out from Chungmuro Stn Exit 8. Dongdaemun, Nandaemun and Myeongdong are just 1-2 Stns away, ideal for shopping. BusStop for Airport limo bus 6015 and 6001 is nearby.
(2) Receptionist can speak english/chinese, communication is not a problem.

Cons:
(1) Room service is minimal or none at all (even though we put up the 'pls make up room sign' on the door knot). Floor is not swept at all, Trash bin is cleared every other day though. Towel looks grayish. Only replaces 2 towels per day and made 2 beds even though we have 3 person staying in the room, making me wonder why they ignore the presence of the 3rd person.
(2) During our second last day, our used towels are removed but no replacement given. We approach the reception and reason given is the clean towels are not dry yet due to rainy day, leaving us with no towel to bath. How ridiculous! Why remove our used towels there is no clean towel. And the staff are not apology at all and have no intention to solve this issue.

Overall not a pleasant stay and will not recommend this place, even though the price is cheap but I feel that the minimum requirement of cleanliness is not met at all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kiki86_ong
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I booked this place as it was walking distance to my last hotel. I completed check in and was given a USB looking device to serve as my room key. Two of us stayed in a twin room for two nights. The room itself had two beds, washing machine, tv, shelving space and floor shower in the small bathroom. The first thing I noticed when I opened my door was the strong smell of cleaning agents, particularly bleach. We were given two small and two big bath towels which also had the strong bleach odour. Our window opened to receive fresh air as it was desperately needed however we could not draw the blinds as we were directly in view of a local residential apartment. No privacy. The beds were ultra- tiny and hard as bricks. The linen also looked rather ruffled and cleanliness was a concern. Luckily we checked in on a Saturday and were able to have our garbage cans emptied and towels replaced the next day Sunday as this is the only day that these two things are done. Housekeeping in this residence is non-existent. Our beds were not made nor were any room tiding done. Water and tea are only provided on the first day so customers had to purchase these things on their own. Conveniently, a corner store is located in the lobby as well as an ATM machine. The next day we asked if we could have extra towels and we were told they have not returned from the laundry company and that they would arrive in at 11pm. We asked the man at the front to please bring them up when they arrived in. After 11 pm no one came, so I had to call to remind the man at the front that we were still waiting and he then brought the towels up. Three other problems were 1. The non-draining shower which was extremely slow that I had to turn off the tap every two minutes to allow drainage. 2. The extremely difficult time locking my door using the USB key. 3. Only having access to one elevator. 4. Aside from the 2 twin beds, there was no table or chairs at all in the room. 5. The shower was dirty; the walls had stains and hair on it (disgusting!). I would not return to this place due to strong chemical usage in rooms, and overall discomfort. I would not recommend it to any of my friends.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, make sure you request a table and chairs; otherwise you'll have t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends