“make this choice and you will enjoy the hanok experience”
Review of Moon Guesthouse

Moon Guesthouse
Ranked #109 of 982 Seoul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2013

we only stayed for one day. as we were going on a tour the next day.. we used.. hana tours ..
now that was great.. they picked us.. from this Hanok..when we arrived The owner introduced his precious hanok.. later on.. we found out through our walks around.. bukchon.. that he is in fact the president of the hanok association.. hence his modesty.. thank you for explaining your house..
It is important to respect old houses and treat this home with respect.. these experiences dont come easy.. it is very expensive to renovate and maintain this type of house..
the bathrooms we found very clean.. the breakfast area small but intimate all 9 of us.. had a great time going through your breakfast things in the fridge.. and we cleaned up.. very well after . we treated your house with respect and we felt very at home..thank you moon guesthouse.. from us 9 singaporeans......very close to walk to insadong area... easy as pie.. ask them to point out to you..

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank linfame

Reviewed 24 February 2013

A group of 11 from my office visited Moon Guesthouse on Saturday for an event. We were able to learn about traditional Korean houses, try on traditional Korean dress, and make our own Kimche. All in all we had an excelent time, and I highly recommend this venue for others looking for a relaxed enjoyable office event. We were told that you can also spend the night in addition to the activites we participated in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I had the pleasure to stay there in November 2011. I guess it wasn't open for too long, it should be quite busy now. The owners came in the district of Insandong to pick us up because we couldn't find the adress.
We did the Hanbok, tea ceremony and calligraphy experience... everything was great!
A beautiful place in Seoul!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank meleo33
Reviewed 11 October 2012

i just got back from there last week. Actually i didnt mean to stay there since the first but eventually i'm falling in love with "moon" i was stay in the second section of the guesthouse because there is only one room for single traveller. in our section has three rooms with 2 shared bathroom which is provided u full amenities. inside the room's having bed mat, blanket and 1pillow. At that moment weather was getting cool so owner's wife gave me extra blanket :)) after first night i did ask for more bed mat and pillow (personally i love to sleep on velvet mattress) so all nights after is excellent!!! Talking about breakfast, it's well prepared for us every single morning toast bread from Paris croissant(i love it most), cereal, instant noodle, instant congee, butter, jam, juice, milk, coffee, tea or even fresh egg. it's such a big breakfast. during 5days staying there i saw couple of traditional events like korean traditional costume experience, tea ceremony and my favorite one "kimchi making" that's all demonstrate by owner's wife and either staff or their daughter in charge for translating. The staffs there were fantastic "carries" she is very cute and useful since i was alone she made me feel like i got my korean closed friend. another staff i like is housekeeping, even she can speak english only a few but believe me she's so warm and friendly. About location, it's the best spot for tourist only few steps to changdeokgung either Anguk subway station, five mins walk to Insadong, 10 mins walk to Gyeongbokgung Joyesha temple, Jongmyo shrine, Bukchon hanok village. In total "moon" might not be the best hanok home stay u can find in seoul but for me it is about how warm friendly feel like home i'd been gotten from there. see ya next year :D

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank kunnue
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I just stayed at this lovely and beautiful hanok (traditional korean house) for two nights. I was staying in the single room. Even though it's been over 50 years, the guesthouse has been well-maintained. Since all the rooms were built over the land, the owner is considerate to prepare electrical mosquito repellent for each room, actually there is least mosquitoes than what i expected. Therefore, it's proved the environment is neat and clean. They have two bathrooms to be shared and both of them are modern and clean with good hygiene. Shampoo, shower gel, clean tower, hair brush, hair dryer, and toilet paper are provided, some of which are even seldom to be provided at other hostel or guest house. Their online room booking system is also convenient for guests to know what date is available. But it seems they don't provide credit card service, so it's better to pay by cash on the spot. I also recommend to apply for their Korean traditional experience courses conducted by the owner, my friends including me three persons attending the hanbok trying-on and kimchi making course. The teacher actually is the wife of the owner! there are many style of hanboks come with accessories that we can choose to try on. Their staff would be the English interpreter for the teacher. They also heartily help to take photos for us with hanboks on and we posed in the landscape of hanok as the backdrop. After making kimchi, we can even bring home! It was much fun and filled with laughter throughout the course. It's just about 5-minute walk to Anguk MRT, and about 15 minutes walking distance to Insadong. The guesthouse’s location is in the vicinity of well-known national heritage and palaces, one of which is Changdeokgung Palace, so I personally like there surrounding atmosphere not only I didn't feel as commercialized as other parts of Seoul but also there made me feel like blending into local culture. Besides, it's relatively convenient to travel to shopping and dining places. The guesthouse’s owner, manager and staff are helpful and friendly to attend to guests. It’s a good accommodation option when you go to Seoul.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank awfullygigi
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We are eleven and stay there this summer. Very traditional guesthouse. Ondol rooms, kimchi & hanbok experiences. A lot of beautiful choices of hanbok. No need to worry, the guesthouse has also modern bathroom. Hot water, clean towels, toothpaste, clothes hangers, nice shampoo and shower bath are available also. The location is very strategic, just 5 minutes walk from Anguk station and Insadong, and easy to find. 10 minutes walk to Gyeongbokgung palace (through Insadong).
They have a kitchen and you can choose, take, and make your own breakfast or dinner. Toast, instant ramyeon, instant porridge, cereal, milk :) amazing !!! but dont forget to clean it by your self.
The staff and the owners are friendly and helpful and speaks english well. The staff (Ara) even call taxi for us and worry about us because we dont know the route :)

Room Tip: Only three bathrooms for eleven people. Must prepare if you have tight schedule like me. Always clos...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank jovie j
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed at Moonguesthouse for 7 days and I had a very nice stay. The Guesthouse is modeled after traditional Korean arcitecture, there are plenty of pictures to be found both on tripadvisor and their own website, and they are all very accurate. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Most rooms do not have beds, instead you sleep on a mattress on the floor, I saw another review that mentioned something about sheets not being changed, I dont know what happened there, but the sheets I recived were clean and comfortable. As far as I could tell, all rooms but one share bathrooms and showers, however, they too are very clean and in excellent condition. Breakfast is included as well as free access to a kitchen that includes a nice selection of different kinds of food (cup noodles, porrige, rice, eggs and various beverages), all you have to do is wash your own dishes.

The Guesthouse is easy to find, and the location is extremely convenient, the nearest subway station is only a few minutes away, and from there it is only 10-15 minutes to many of the major tourist venues, some tourist venues are even within easy walking distance.

The staff, and the owners (a family who are around most of the time), are extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. They dont all speak English particularlily well, but between the ones who do, there are always someone around who does. The family (the owners) in particular are incredibly nice and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. One night I came back to find the family eating takeout and I was invited to join them (unfortunately I had already eaten).

Additionally, the Guesthouse hosts a number of activities focused on offering experiences of traditional Korean culture, personally I didnt participate in any because I was busy sightseeing during the day.

In conclusion, this is a great place to stay and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a different experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo