“My first choice in Seoul!”

InterContinental Seoul COEX
Ranked #29 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
“My first choice in Seoul!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

For most tourists, this hotel might not be in the best location, as Gangnam COEX is rather far away from the city center by subway (unless you are in a group tour, then it doesn't matter). However, I think this hotel might be the best value among the 5-star hotels in Seoul.

If you have some time to really enjoy the hotel, I recommend getting the business King room package, which includes free wifi, the use of the fitness center and continental breakfast for two. Why? Because the fitness center in this hotel is luxurious and HUGE, and it is even equipped with clean & sanitized workout outfit from top to toe if you didn't bring your own. It is really THE best in all the luxurious hotels that I have seen. InterContinental Parnas, which is just on the other end of the COEX Mall, on the other hand, has a very small and crowded fitness area, and it costs more to stay there. So, please really take advantage of this special opportunity to see what a 5-star fitness center should be if you do choose to stay at InterContinental COEX.

The continental breakfast is comparable to those extravagant display of the breakfast in the luxury hotels in the Southeast Asia, like those in Singapore and Indonesia. I always enjoy my breakfast there. And there is a Lotte duty free store right next to the hotel, so it is great for shoppers.

The downside of this hotel is that there are two subway stations in the area, but it takes about 10 minutes to walk to either one of those.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is a mixed of excellence and below average, and I summarise what I mean as follows:

The areas where this hotel excel are:
1. The courtesy of its staff members. Everywhere we went in the Hotel, we were always greeted by courteous staff member who are always ready to assist you. As you enter the lobby, you are greeted in a manner that makes you feel like Royalty.
2. Location - the hotel is adjacent to the convention centre, shopping, restaurants & train station.
3. Exercise facilities - there is a massive gym, lap pool, driving range & good korean style sauna. However, the gym alway felt warm but I think this is how the locals prefer their gyms and the facility appears to be open to local memberships.
4. Cleanliness of rooms
5. Quality of the meals/drinks etc served at the Club lounge. The ambience is good too, where I was able to spend a full day working in the lounge.

However, areas where this hotel is in need of improvement are:
A. Bathroom are in serious need of an update. Everything works fine, but ceramic floor & wall tiles belong in a Motel and not a 5 star hotel.
B. Very expensive restaurants - we dined at the sky lounge one nite. Whilst the view was great, the italian food served was extremely average (taste wise) for the price and the decor certainly does not feel like an italian restaurant. I have dined at many hotel restaurants before, and typically do not baulk at the price. However, I was little taken back only after I tasting the food when they were served. Australian fine dining is of similar prices (if not more) but when I am paying that sort of money, I do expect the ambience to match the quality of the food. This place had none of those, except for a great view. Service was Good and a relative wide selection of wines. Wouldn't bother next time.
C. Prices for the use of other facilities such as telephone. I think I was charged around 1000 won/ min to make calls to local mobile phones which is extremely steep. If I had knew, I would have just used my mobile as the roaming call charges would have been cheaper. Whilst I appreciate, hotels have to charge a higher price in order to maintain some of these services, getting gouged in the big way does not leave the customers in the hurry to return especially when these prices are dearer even compared to other 5 stars hotels I have stayed in Seoul.

Other minor observations are:
1. Housekeeping did a good job in keeping the rooms clean, but attentiveness is lacking. i.e. There were days where our glasses were not replaced.
2. Our stay lasted a week, towards the latter half of the week I was starting to get little tired of the same food served at the club lounge. A bit more variety would be great.

I was very tempted to rate this Hotel an average however I felt due to the excellent service of its employees it deserved more than average.

Room Tip: Free wifi if you are a member
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here one night as a family, and our first impression was very good: Excellent location, nice lobby, helpful staff. The room was spacious and had everything in it one could need (including cellphones and portable modem that you can take along with you), but was lacking somewhat in the 'taste' department: the choice of materials was somewhat strange to me. Gangnam is a part of Seoul which seems to have a heterogeneous population with a high income, and their likes seem to be different than ours. We also came across some strange people in the elevators who always seemed to get off at the casino level; so even though most things about the hotel were very nice, I felt that this was not a very good 'family hotel'.
In the room, I read about the free fitness and pool services (and also golf practice, if I am not mistaken), but we didn't have the chance to try those out.
One thing that made us stay here was the airport's city terminal which stood just a couple of blocks from the hotel: You just check-in and go through customs at this location, and the airport limo bus takes you to the airport in just under 50 minutes; then you go to your gate from a special gate of the airport, so you skip at least two long lines. Incredible service, which I haven't experienced anywhere in the world - amazing (however, you need to check your airline to see if they participate in this program - there were about 10 airlines that had check-in counters)!
Overall, I would only stay here for the city terminal, but it would also serve well those who want to do shopping at the COEX mall, which we haven't been, but I've heard had everything in it. It is also not advisable to eat and drink in the hotel unless you want to pay the premium prices, as some of the other reviewers have mentioned.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank icagri
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the moment you walk into the hotel everyone treats you like you are a rock star! The front staff could not be nicer. If you so much as looked like you had a question or a concern the hotel staff would run to your side to see what you needed. My room was a single king and the bed was like sleeping on feathers. The room was spacious, clean and the housekeeping staff was excellent. I had breakfast in the Brasserie during my stay and the meals were delicious. If you are in Seoul for a convention at the Coex, then this is your hotel. There is a mall connected to the hotel, if you are bringing kids they have a movie theatre when they or you need some down time. I did have time to swim in their pool a few times and would highly recommend there pool and gym. Great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Michelle,

Thank you so much for your fantastic 5* detailed review of our hotel, much appreciated.

The team takes great pleasure in ensuring our guests feel welcomed and taken care of from their first arrival experience through until the departure date and your review has clearly highlighted this.

I love sharing these types of comments and feedback with them as it really gives them a great boost when recognized for all their hard work.

Thanks once again for highlighting the many great aspects of our hotel and we all hope to welcome you back to the InterContinental next time your travels bring you to Seoul.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel needs to train their people a bit on how to handle complaints. I paid $19.00/USD in the lobby for a a small glass of grapefruit juice. Having had that horrible experience, I thought it best to check and see how much I was paying for a very small can of Coke out if the mini bar in my room. Needless to say, it was outrageously high, $9.00/USA. I understand hotel prices are high, however that's no excuse to gauge their customers. To add insult to injury, the prices were not posted, at least in my room.
When I asked to see a manager, I was confronted by the most arrogant Hotel manager I have ever talked with. All he would say is that hotel prices are high and that's that. All I wanted was some acknowledgement that I had a legitimate complaint. I for one will not use this hotel again. There are too many other hotels in Seoul where the staff knows how to deal more effectively with customers. Oh yea, watch out for the $45.00/USD breakfast buffet, another of the many rip offs in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Joseph D
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Joseph,

Apologies for the lack of hospitality which you have been shown on your recent visit....
Naturally I was very disappointed to read this as we generally receive a lot of positive feedback, especially in relation to the friendliness of our employees.

I shall contact you via your email address linked here to TripAdvisor as naturally I would like to look into this further and speak with the team member responsible.

Once again my apologies for the lack of response and recognition and I do hope to hear back from you at your convenience.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I usually stay here when I visit Korea and have visited about 4-5 times.The Coex mall and underpath to subway station/department is under renovation, but after it is completed there will be much more food and shopping choices around.
The interior and design is not modern or fancy, but is very well maintained and clean.
Staffs are nice, but sometimes the amenities are not filled up so I had to ring housekeeping a few times every visit. Responses are quick and polite.
Breakfast buffet is excellent with a lot of choices. Some male staffs in the buffet restaurant needs more smile.
I have taken out one point because of the hotel guests. Group tourists are frequent and can be quite noisy. Some guests smoke in the non smoking area and in the lift. Had seen several occasions of this.
Price is reasonable compared to the quality and service and especially to its sibling hotel, grand intercontinental or parnas. Intercontinental seoul parnas is mor expensive than coex but the staffs are not as nice or professional as this hotel.
Overall it is a very nice hotel and I will return here for my next visit to seoul.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hayon L
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Hayon,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel, much appreciated.

You have raised a number of good points which we can discuss with the team to ensure that we remain as your favourite hotel in Korea, your return business is greatly appreciated.

You will be pleased to hear that the Coex Mall renovations are all on track and expected to be completed by November of this year, however I hope on your last visit you did get to see Phase 1 which has already reopened?

We are all looking forward to this and in conjunction with that we are pleased to say that the hotel will also have a new subway station directly connected to the hotel which is also due to be finished and operational by the end of this year.

Thanks once again for your feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul Coex sometime in the near future.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We were in Seoul for a conference, with some serious sightseeing on the side. The hotel is connected to the Coex convention center and mall, which gave us lots of room to walk off our jet lag. There is a metro station in the mall, so it would be possible to use it to get around,although we were lucky enough to have local guides. The room was comfortable, though small, and the service was excellent.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JudyZ167
Dear Judy,

Thank you for your recent review here on TripAdvisor much appreciated.

As you have highlighted our location and facilities are truly second to none with direct access to the Convention Centre the Coex Mall downstairs and even a 1200 year old temple across the street we certainly are a great place to base yourself whilst visiting this bustling city!

The team will be very pleased to hear your comments on the service being excellent and thank you for recognising the team for this, it makes a huge difference.

Appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we do hope that next time you visit Seoul you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.