“Typical Greedy South Korean Establishment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Seoul

JW Marriott Hotel Seoul
Ranked #14 of 468 Hotels in Seoul
Austin, Texas
“Typical Greedy South Korean Establishment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Horrible hotel! I was flying in to country to see my wife and I was sick and had to fly the next day. The hotel would not allow my wife to even check in. It was her birthday and this hotel ruined it! Would not even refund or do anything, it was oh well to them. They probably even sold the room and made extra money off of it. I had a great deal of respect for the country on a whole...my son was born in Seoul, I lived there 8 years if my life, I speak Korean, and even got married there...and I do not ever wish to return to the country. I have stayed there many times and couldn't leave my the U.S because I was sick. Sad that money means that much to some people. Thanks for ruining my wife's birthday! All others stay away!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DariEnLake25
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear DariEnLake25,

Thank you for reporting your negative experience with our hotel and I am very sorry that it happened. I would like to inform you that I take every guest feedback very seriously and this is not an exception. I wish to discuss the matter directly so that we can work towards a suitable resolution and repair our reputation. Please email me on matthew.cooper@marriott.com and I will connect with you offline. Once again I apologize for the disappointment.

Matthew Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

On my return flight to Las Vegas from Nepal, I had layover a Seoul for one night. At check-in, the level service was excellent. The staff was extremely knowledgeable, professional and very courteous. The room was very clean and bed/sleep was the I ever had...but, I'm Partial Bias though, I've been living out of an expedition tent, on the rocky ground. But, even after sleeping in other five star accommodations in Seoul, The JW was by far top of my list. I've already book a room at The JW for my trip to China, at the end of the week....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Terrance W,

What a great review! Thank you for choosing JW Marriott Seoul. I am very happy that we made on top of your list. I look forward to meeting you in the hotel when you are back. Please feel free to connect with me before your next stay on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This is a very solid hotel. The location is a little ways from some of the cooler parts of Seoul, but you'd probably only be considering the JW Marriott if the location worked for your trip (hello, Samsung). It is connected to thr express bus terminal (so you can take a bus right to it from the airport) and to a department store where you can do some shopping or pick up some less-touristy food in the basement. The rooms are quite large, with a very spacious bathroom. The decor is not quite as modern or hip as, say, the Park Hyatt or the Chosun, but it's nice enough.

The secret weapon of this hotel is actually the gym, which borders on the ridiculous. I'm talking about all the usual treadmills and weights, plus an Olympic sized pool, a running track, martial arts room, rock climbing wall, golf driving range (nets but still not bad), squash courts, massage chairs, even a ping pong table. I hate to build it up too much, but it really is impressive.

This place will always be near the top of my list in Seoul, especially if I expect to have time for some recreation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Is_That_So_Wrong,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. I really hope you get some time to enjoy our amazing gym facilities, not to mention a 4M deep scuba diving pool. I look forward to being the number 1 hotel on your list. Please feel free to contact me before your next stay on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

On a trip to Seoul (first time) I had the pleasure of staying at the J.W.Marriott. It was a bit pricey but the level of service I experienced here was one I will never forget and will always use as a basis of comparison. Everyone was extremely courteous and professional. My bags were out of the cab and whisked to the front desk before I knew it. The room was above average, not very luxurious but I was only on the 11th floor, many floors above me with much better views and probably amenities (including exe. The room had one King bed, very comfortable. The thermostat only went down to 19 degrees C, I like my room cold and probably would have done 18 but it was fine. The one thing about the rooms, you must put a room key into the "master switch” when you enter as it turns on all the lights. I checked in late at night (already dark) and spend a good 5 minutes stumbling around the place wondering why the lights didn’t work. One great thing is they are set up for Westerners, regular (American) outlets were at the desk and the bathroom, no electric issues there. Also, the tub was fairly big, I am over 6 feet and fit (mostly). The curtains are completely black-out, no issues with light coming in. I did not personally order room service, part of my room rate was an added $15 a day for breakfast buffet. Normally I would not do a breakfast buffet, but I am glad I did. The Buffet normally costs over $40 (no, not kidding) so it is a very good idea to get that added to your room for a paltry $15 a day. When you see how expensive things in Seoul are, you will think the breakfast buffet is the deal of the century. The location of this hotel is perfect, it is directly on top of a HUGE underground shopping mall, so many places I can’t even begin to say how many shops, eateries, markets and bars. ATMs had an “English” option and I didn’t even get charged a service fee. The trip was very memorable, this is a full service hotel and they are good at what they do, you will never forget this is how customer service is done.

Room Tip: try to get a room above 11, my view wasn't great. someone else (same rate) stayed on 25th floor...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear BUBBAGUMP2012,

Thank you for choosing us and taking your time to share your review. I am happy to hear that we made your visit memorable. I look forward to meeting you on your next stay. Please feel free to connect with me on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com before your visit!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I travel at least 150 days per year I just checked into the JW for 1 night after a long trip in China and was hoping to relax and I feel unwelcome why do I feel that this place is missing a soul people of the staff are unfriendly I am thinking if cutting up my Marriott rewards card I was working my way to platinum with service like this why not go back to SPG at least I always feel welcome in the W the reception did not offer any information for dinner choices or about brekefest or anything around the hotel just give your credit card hand me your money and get lost

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Snooz1
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Snooz1,

I want to sincerely apologize for the lack of service you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that what you have experienced is not the typical genuine service we pride ourselves in. I would love to touch base with you to hear specific feedback as we only want to improve. Please email me on matthew.cooper@marriott.com and I will connect with you offline. Once again I am very sorry for the shortcomings in service you faced.

Walnut, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is definitely a business hotel. Everything about it is business-like. You can tell the rooms were created with the intention of the hotel to have a majority of their customers be hotel execs. That being said, everyone here is very professional; from the bell boy, to the waiters in the restaurants, you will only deal with well-trained and professional staff so customer service is near flawless here. The location of the hotel is also very convenient. Not only is it attached to a shopping center, but that shopping center also has a ton of restaurants, coffee shops, and is connected to the subway and bus stations. The shopping center itself is an amazement. There are 4 floors of shopping, where the 4th floor of the center is attached to yet another giant shopping building like a Soho. There's a theater, fast food and subway station on the lowest floor. There's even a bookstore. Everything you need is attached to this hotel... literally everything.

The hotel also has one of the most beautiful spas/gyms I have ever seen. It's also free (except the spa amenities) for their customers and definitely worth it.

I spoke to the GM, Mr. Saul, and other associates before my arrival and they were more than accommodating to my business partners and I. We received the best service and are very glad to have stayed here.

That being said, no place is perfect and there's always some downfalls to any establishment. The downfalls here are the very expensive prices of the restaurants and bakery inside the hotel. It was so expensive to the point where I couldn't imagine anyone paying that high of a price and instead would rather walk less than 2 minutes to the stores and restaurants attached to the hotel. There's also a convenient store outside the hotel that's much more cheaper. I don't think the high price shuns everyone away though, since only the richest of Seoul stay here (evident with the extremely high luxury cars in valet and the luxury taxis on stand-by), but it definitely did shun my partners and I away. The other problem was that the rooms were very outdated. So outdated that the telephones looked like they were from the 80's where Gordon Gecko would be using one of these "futuristic" machines in the movie. Those were the only two downfalls to an otherwise perfect hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicholas S
JW_Seoul, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Nicholas S,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write this review. I am glad that our former GM Mr. Saul and other associates have taken good care of you. I hope you will be able to visit us soon and please feel free to email me before you come back on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com.

Navi Mumbai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 days on business on 32nd floor. It was exciting to see tiny cars across busy streets from this height. But, I was more happy finding a special adaptor on writing desk that catered to round as well as 2 and 3 pin chargers. The room was large, with soft bed, and soft sit out. The writing desk chair helped keep posture right and did not fall back easily. The lighting was adequate and sun shined straight on eyes early morning. Slippers were ultra soft. Complimentary water was available. The bed was soft. A/C was just right. There were pencils to write. The reception staff was very helpful, quick to act. At lobby, there was telephone to contact room numbers - and you don't need their number, just tell the name to operator, and they will connect you to room. Water in bath room was warm or little more than warm, but never hot. Adequate toiletries were provided and all of good quality. There was option of bath tub as well as bath space provided. No fog ever accumulated in the bath room especially on mirror. The house keeping staff was sharp and they kept me extra tea and creamer for all 3 days after reading my small note (Thank you). Internet is complimentary for Marriott members, and if you are not one, please sign up at check in. Overall - very comfortable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Saket G,

I appreciate you taking out time to share your detailed review and I am glad that you had a very comfortable stay. It was very kind of you to letting us know your preference through a note.

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to connect with me on contactus.jwseoul@marriott.com before your next stay.