“Better experience than I expected”
Review of THE PLAZA

THE PLAZA
Ranked #24 of 493 Hotels in Seoul
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
“Better experience than I expected”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Based on photos and review, I expected the room to be small, and it might've been, however when we checked in, we were told the room that we booked was unavailable, and they provided us with a free upgrade to a suite, which was a welcome surprise after being on a plane for 14 hours.

Service was excellent, the room was beautiful with a beautiful view of City Hall and Downtown Seoul. Huge bathroom as well. The hotel is right in downtown Seoul and very convenient to everything and also convenient to a variety of subway lines.

Room Tip: Rooms facing North have a great view of City Hall
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Evillncarnate,

Thank you for choosing THE PLAZA and for leaving your review on Tripadvisor. It is always great to that our valuable customers were able to have a suite room experience with unexpected complimentary room upgrade.

We appreciate you mentioning our service, bathroom and location of our hotel; centrally located and within walking distance to a variety of shopping areas, tourist attractions and subway stations. Moreover, diverse cultural events on Seoul Plaza across from the hotel will be good enough to give guests a lot of pleasure.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to THE PLAZA in the future.

Truly yours,

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, UK.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights in the middle of November on my wife’s business trip.

Booked Deluxe Double room. Check in took few minutes and were given a room on 15th floor. The room itself is smallish comparing to 5* standard but very modern and equipped with all modern cons. You can virtually control everything in the room from a remote control on the left side of the bed. Room is cleaned daily at the time of your convenience but no later than 8pm of the day. You are also provided with Nespresso machine (free of charge) and 3 different flavour coffee capsules each day. These are refilled when the room is cleaned. There is also a kettle and selection of teas in the room. Two free bottles of water are also provided each day. Towels and bathrobes are changed daily.

Deluxe rooms are also facing Plaza itself with the very nice view of Seoul downtown. The Plaza could sometimes be noisy during the meetings or other public events. But these are usually held during the day time and cleared by the night time. Plaza underground station could be reached via underground subway directly from the hotel’s lower ground floor which is very convenient in winter. Hotel is also served by the Limousine Coach (with very comfortable seats) directly from/to Inchenon airport, so no need to book a taxi.

The staff is friendly and try their best to speak and understand English.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Rustam_A,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review.

We are delighted reading your detailed feedback you included for other travelers and for your experiences regarding our room cleanliness, amenities and that the location was convenient to reach subway station. Our deluxe rooms are all facing to city hall and diverse cultural events on Seoul Plaza across from the hotel will be good enough to give guests a lot of pleasure.

We are glad to hear that our staffs were friendly throughout your stay and we will continue to seek for improvement upon out current service and facilities to create memorable experiences for our guests.

We will be looking forward to your next visit in the future!

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We (Myself, fiance and father) spent only one night at The Plaza (unfortunately) it was fully booked! The hotel has an outstanding Concierge service and you feel Welcomed at first visit.

The rooms were small but modern.

They had a lot of facilities but unfortunately didn't have the chance to visit them all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Monicamee,

Thank you for choosing THE PLAZA and for leaving your review on tripadvisor.

We are very happy that our concierge staff was able to provide such outstanding service during your stay. We completely understand that our room seems more distinctive than other hotels. Our room design is more modern than most hotels near here, but we are providing something truly unique and stylish to our guests as luxury boutique hotel.

All of us here at THE PLAZA are happy that you enjoyed our staff service and we hope to see you next time you are looking to enjoy our hotel facilities. Thank you again and we will be looking forward to your next stay in the future!

Kind regards,

Tumon, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent 2 nights here in October this year & really enjoy my stay. The Plaza Hotel is located in city centre nearby shopping areas & tourist attractions. It's located only 5 mins (by car) or 10 mins (by walk) away from shopping areas like Myongdong & Numdaemun Market. Moreover, Deoksugung palace is located across the street from hotel. Also Seoul City Hall is just opposite the hotel. You can find many convenient stores, good coffee shops & good restaurants next to Seoul City Hall. If you are facing city hall, coffee shops and restaurants are located at the right side of city hall right on the small street. The transportation is very convenient since underground station (City Hall Station) is located right across the hotel.

The hotel room is very modern, comfy & cozy. The hotel staff is very professional & helpful. The hotel provides very good services. I stayed in deluxe twin & the room size is perfect.

Room Tip: If you need room with some space, it's better to stay in deluxe twin. The room space will be ful...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MungMink
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear MungMink,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We love receiving feedback.

We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the location of our hotel; centrally located to city center and within walking distance to a variety of shopping areas, restaurants and coffee shops for every preference.

Here The Plaza we strive to deliver an exceptional guest service and I am happy that we reached this goal during your recent stay. We look forward for your next stay to continue to deliver that beyond service we are providing.

Warmest Regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 November 2013

But for the customer service here, I would originally have ranked this hotel as a 3* -- but I may have been spoiled by multiple trips to the JW Marriott, which I thoroughly enjoy. But in the end, they changed my mind and made me a believer in The Plaza.

I was originally assigned to a Deluxe Double Room (courtesy of the work booking); but to be honest, I found the room freaked me out a bit. This has never happened to me and may be a somewhat personal reaction (one of my colleagues assigned to a similar room thoroughly enjoyed the same things that made me uncomfortable). The bed pretty much dominated the entire room (pink walls with red accents). With the placement of the mirrors on both sides of the room, it created a series of endless reflections that literally made me a bit dizzy to look at. Not to mention, you can view the city (and be seen in!) the shower ... although if you use the curtains, that eliminates some of the problem. Not to mention, the lights looked like giant-sized desk lamps. It just made me cringe inside. But as I said, a colleague loved it, so I took lots of pictures so you can decide for yourself if the quirky suits your style or if you'd want a different room.

It was so discomforting to me that, for the price (which is not cheap!) I almost moved hotels. The management was able to make an exception for me and get me into a Premiere Double Suite, which I utterly adored. I suppose I was taken in immediately by the Nespresso machine (kind of like "you had me at hello".). The spacing / organization of the room was much much better and very nice. I much preferred the lack of the crazy mirrors, the lack of those giant lamps, and a bit of separation between the bed and the sitting place. I was very grateful for their kindness, which made a quick trip to Asia more bare able.

The similarities of both rooms was -- the shower, sink, etc was very very nice. And the Molton Brown products are always delightful. So in that sense, irrespective of the room type, the bathroom quality was of a high quality. Also, the gym was a bit strange to get to, but it was perfectly fine. I still prefer the gym at the JM Marriott, but the Plaza still gets the job done. Overall, I'm not sure that I would stay here again -- but I would certainly recommend it to friends, particularly the really lovely Premiere Suite and also because of the very high customer service.

Final tip, spend the money to have a home-made ginger tea in the lobby restaurant. Yes, it was close to US$20. But my goodness, it was honestly one of the best cups of tea (very fragrant, really lovely) in my life.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear sd_in_switzerland,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay.

I would like to apologize for the small inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Our rooms seem more distinctive than other hotels but our concept is unique and stylish designs as luxury boutique hotel. I am glad however that you found bathroom quality and amenities which are made for guest’s convenience like a rain shower in shower booth.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

chicago
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I spent 4 nights here in November and enjoyed it. No real problems at all. I was afraid the room would be very small based on some reviews but it was not too small and very comfortable lay out. My room faced the "plaza" and one night there was a major demonstration going on and another morning very early there was a marathon race, so if you prefer quiet room, ask for one not facing City Hall, otherwise its a nice view. The windows are double thick so you cannot hear street noise, only major events. The area is very busy, and walking can be confusing. The front desk was nice but not real certain of a few questions, luckily the free wifi helped me find quick answers. The doorman bows every time you enter. There are so many coffee shops around this hotel, and it is a short walk to Myeongdong shopping area and Namdeamun. There is a shopping and subway area underground that is attached so you do not have to go outside if it is cold or raining. I did not go to any of the restaurants, the bar is very expensive.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Facing the City Hall is a nice view but can be noisy when events are going on.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear chicagotravelling,

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor!
It pleases me very much to know that your experience with us was exceptional and we were able to meet your needs.

The renovated hotel rooms in 2010 present contemporary and unique designs and are furnished with custom-made furniture and high tech facilities such as ‘Touchpad’(called ‘command center’ in your review) or rain shower. And we are located right above the subway station, City hall station on Line 1 or Line 2 and in the walking distance to the famous Myeongdong shopping area and other major tourist attractions. And there is a limousine bus between the hotel and Incheon international airport 2~3 times an hour on a daily basis. Glad that you appreciated our location.

We look forward to welcoming you again next time you are back in Seoul!

Kind regards,

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I just came back from a week long business trip from Seoul. Stayed at the Plaza Hotel. The hotel is very good, with very friendly and helpful staff, very good breakfast and in an awesome location, which is close to all cultural attractions in Seoul. The rooms are nice sized with good amenities and fit outs.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the City Hall!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Ranjit1009,

Thank you for taking so much of your time to write a review of our hotel!

I am really glad to know that you have enjoyed the room design, amenities and guest services.
As Korea’s luxury boutique hotel, The Plaza has been renovated in 2010 and is becoming the optimal choice for even the most discerning business travelers who pursue both style and convenience. Rooms seem smaller than other hotels but we are furnished with custom-made furniture, high tech facilities and rain shower in a bathroom booth for guest’s convenience. Moreover, diverse cultural events from spring to fall on Seoul Plaza across from the hotel will be good enough to give guests a lot of pleasure.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plaza soon, hopefully in no distant future.
Thank you.