“Excellent Location”
Review of THE PLAZA

THE PLAZA
Ranked #18 of 506 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent locations, ideally situated in the heart of Seoul. All of the were very friendly and made us very welcome. The room, although not large was well fitted out and had all you need. The hotel was very close the vast underground shopping tunnels and shopping centre. Breakfast was particularly good and the hotel had a good selection of restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve B
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Steve B,

Thank you for your review of THE PLAZA.
I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your experience with us. Especially, I am glad to read you were satisfied with our staff members. While the facilties in the hotel are comfortable, the service is certainly where we wish to surpass each guests' expecatation.
We hope to welcome you again soon.

Hotel CS Innovation Department

Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The location of the hotel is very convenient, right at the side of a metro station. The suites are quite comfortable. However, the windows looked very dirty and the Plaza should consider cleaning them more often. We had access to the club, which was also comfortable but quite noisy as a bunch of kids was running around playing. Service was ok.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Anhangabau,

Thank you for your review and comments regarding your experience at THE PLAZA.
Our rooms are designed and equipped with many small details to make your stay even more comfortable and productive, I am glad you were able to enjoy these touches. Our location is very convenient and I am happy that you took advantage from it.

I sincerely apologise for that matter related to the windows cleanliness and uncomfortable moment due to noise from child guests. I will be sure to share this example with the team as a learning tool in such circumstances.Thank you for brining it to our attention.

I look forward to your return visit soon,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Plaza Seoul has one of the best locations in Seoul. I stayed for five days and the memory lasted longer than that. It's a warm and lovely hotel during the winter time. From there you can go to almost anywhere in the city through the tunnel and the subway station is also very near. Room is not as spacious but very clean, comfortable, and feel just right. Bathroom was nice also with Molton Brown amenities. I slept so well almost every night in my room overlooking the City Hall. Breakfast was also offering variety of selections and can be busy at times. I would really recommended this hotel highly and would stay here again whenever I would be in Seoul

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank imanhidajat
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear imanhidajat,

Thank you for choosing THE PLAZA!
I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. All staff members of THE PLAZA strvie for total satisfaction in deliverying expceptional service and providing our product so that our guests can have fond memories. Thank you for sharing your experience and recommending us.
I look forward to serving you in the near future.

Okto Kang,
Hotel Customer Satisfaction Department

Reviewed 19 July 2014

At first glance I was concerned this hotel might only focus on the rich or business class customers, but I was wrong. From the minute we checked in, the staff did everything they could to make us feel welcome. The room was actually two rooms, lounge and bed with an ensuite. The hotel had direct connection thru the lower levels to the vast underground shopping tunnels and train system. Breakfast was run with military precision and still exceeded our expectations. When we return to Seoul, we will definitely be staying here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robk54
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear robk54,

Thank you very much for sharing the review about your recent stay at THE PLAZA.

We are more than happy to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, service of associates, and the location. As you mentioned on your comment, our hotel is located in the center on Seoul that allows easy access to many places including major shopping areas, and has connection to the subway station.

I look forward to welcoming you soon again at THE PLAZA.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Plaza was a lovely hotel! It was very easy to get to from the airport via the bus. The rooms are small but very clean and well laid out. The staff was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and help in getting around the city. I would stay at The Plaza over and over again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Holly C
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Holly C,

Thank you very much for the recent stay at THE PLAZA and sharing your personal comment on us.

I am glad to hear that you liked our room and the associates were helpful.
As you mentioned on the review, we have an easy direct access from the Airport to the hotel by KAL limousine bus which is operated by Korean Air.

I look forward to welcoming you soon again at THE PLAZA.

Shigeru Tamura,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I decided to visit Seoul for our summer holiday. We had read quite a bit about Korea and had actually watched quite a few Korean movies which we thought were very refreshingly entertaining. It’s also important for me to stress that my wife and I are a mixed race couple (this may be of significance later in this post). Just like many other people we work hard all year and look forward to a break when we can afford it. We looked very closely at the reviews on trip advisor and based on reviews on Trip advisor, The Plaza stood out both in terms of the quality of service as well as the feedback from other travellers. The majority of the commentaries on trip advisor were very positive. At the time The Plaza had an offer for guests on the club class where you got one night free for every three nights. This was a great deal for us and we immediately booked in for three nights.

On our arrival, the attendant at the general reception went through the usual checks including an inspection of the passports before out of the blue asking if we wanted two separate rooms?! This question was asked not once but twice prompting me to remind this person that we were actually married. The attendant then confirmed that we were actually premier guests and as such our check in was supposed to happen on the 18th floor at the club lounge. We proceeded to the club lounge where we were received by two pleasant ladies. The check in process proceeded as expected until out of nowhere this lady asked whether we wanted two separate rooms?! Really? Again? Politely we advised that we expected the same room especially as we are a happily married couple. By this time we were just dumbfounded at the audacity and bluntness of the check in staff overall. Our budget was 300$ a night and at this level of cost there is a minimum amount of decency and respect that a hotel of this size should be offering to its guests. It was very clear that for some reason the hotel reception staff both at the general reception and the club lounge were experiencing difficulty accepting that this couple that bore the same surnames on their passports and who had booked a premier suite for 2 occupants didn’t look like they needed to stay in the same room.

Once in the room, I proceeded to run some google checks on some basic terms like racisim in Korea or intermarriages in the Korea. This confirmed some of my fears. Unfortunately there are some very significant issues with race in Korea and sadly it appeared that we could have been the victims of these unnecessary prejudices. I suppose what was rather sad in all of this is the fact despite the negative racial attitudes that may or may not exist in Korea, a hotel of this stature was not able to welcome its guests and present the hotel as a safe refuge. There are still quite a few hotels out there that strive to make their guests feel welcome regardless of any other factors (race, sexuality) but sadly The Plaza will not be amongst this group in my humble opinion.

Having received this very unwelcome response from the staff at The Plaza we immediately cancelled the rest of our stay and got the next flight of Seoul. Its important to stress that immediately prior to our check in at The Plaza,we had spent 5 wonderful nights at the Intercontinental hotel in Osaka where we received a flawless level of service.This probably made the comparison a lot more starker. The level of service, professionalism and intergrity demonstrated at the Intercontinental Hotel, Osaka was simply perfect. What is unbelievable is the fact The Plaza was actually more expensive than the Intercontinental Osaka.There is just no comparison in my mind to the level of service we received at the Intercontinental, Osaka and The Plaza.

If there is any feedback to take from this, I think the staff at The Plaza might need to re –think their attitudes towards race. Racism is not fashionable any more, the rest of the world has moved on and its worth considering that move. Granted we all make judegements and maintain low levels of prejudice in one way or the other but when one books in to a hotel they should be treated as a human being and nothing less. A hotel of this stature is going to attract people of all backgrounds and somehow the staff should be trained to handle this issue otherwise the many other wonderful attributes of this hotel might be subdued by this ugly and backdated mentality.

Sadly I would not be able to genuinely recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lex4851
PlazaMarketing, 매니저 at THE PLAZA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear lex4851

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and spending your precious time to leave comment on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of THE PLAZA, I am most concerned to know that your first experience at THE PLAZA was not satisfactory and we lost a chance to show you our true level of service. Regarding that incident, I am sure that there was no intention of racism, but a mistake on our check-in procedure. However I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience and inconvenience caused to you. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

I do regret that your visit was tarnished and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us as it helps us identify areas of improvements in our service delivery.

I would highly appreciate it if you could give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future. I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again with our true level of service.

Shigeru Tamura

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels in Seoul. It's got a great location and staffs were exceptioanlly helpful. From the moment we arrived, they make you feel special and couldn't help you enough. Rooms were good size and they made the good use of precious space as they can. Our room was facing the city hall and it was amazing view. I was a bit concerned about noise from outside but the windows seemed to work their magic.
The spa & pool is actually on the next building and it has one of the best views in Seoul I reckon. The pool was always very quiet and peaceful (ie. me and my partner were only people).
Hotel has a great links to Myungdong as well. There is a underground pedestrian link right outside the rear entrance. It only takes 10mins to walk to the Myungdong and it's full of shops, restaurants and it's underground so it was nice temperature to walk around!
I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Everything about it was superb..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuShi_luv

Dear SuShi_luv,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at THE PLAZA and sharing your positive feedback.

We are more than happy as you describe our associates as exceptionally helpful, and also enjoyed our facilities with the best city view and the location of hotel. As you mentioned our hotel has an easy access to Myungdong(shopping area) and local restaurants.
Regarding the windows facing City hall are double glazed to reduce down the noise from outside.

Thanks for sharing your personal feedback once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon at THE PLAZA.

Shigeru Tamura