“Very Basic Hotel in Excellent Location”

Hamilton Hotel Seoul
Ranked #140 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
Los Angeles, California
“Very Basic Hotel in Excellent Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

This clean, descent hotel is priced well for the excellent location. A good place to crash if you are looking to stay at Itaewon, Seoul's most interesting entertainment district for Western visitors. If you are looking for above average service or amenities in this area, you should be prepared to pay more at better hotels.

They don't have any rooms with king-size beds, which is a shame, as they are good size rooms. The rooms are equipped with a full and a twin. Generally, Korean hotels have firm, comfortable mattresses. This one is decent, although not as good as other ones I had tried in my three-week trip. The florescent light bulbs were a bit much. Like many Korean hotels, their centralized control system in the room is cumbersome to figure out. They have a sitting area with a love seat, two chairs and a table. That would be great if the surfaces of the seats were not so murky from overuse and, apparently, infrequent steam cleaning.

Their bathroom is clean and of a descent size, however dated and not easily functional. Both the sink and bath faucets were leaky and splattered water all over. They could install wider shower curtains too. They only provide motel-rate soap and lotions. So be sure to bring you own toiletries.

The bell desk is quite useless. We had accumulated several pieces of luggage at the end of the trip and two bell boys just stood there and watch us struggle with the luggage. Finally I had to ask one of them to at least hold the elevator door for us to load it. NOT COOL AT ALL!

I would only come back here if my budget was limited and I just needed a place to crash after nightlife. Good for that.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank H H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I spent nine nights in the Hamilton hotel in Itaewon Seoul during a recent business trip. The hotel is in the center of Itaewon and the street can be a bit noisy at night but the hotel is in a convenient location for touring Itaewon or if other destinations in Seoul are of interest the both the subway and City Tour Bus stop are just outside the hotel. The rooms are a bit dated clean and the staff are courteous, helpful and able to speak English. This hotel is a good mid-value based on location, transportation, amenities and staff. I recommend this hotel but if you're looking for a budget or luxury hotel this is not for you.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hotel was located in a very convenient part of Seoul for catching trains, buses and airport limousine bus. The Itaewon location is an area catering to the tourist and there are many bars and restaurants catering to a variety of tastes. Prices a little inflated in comparison to other areas of Seoul.
The rooms at the hotel were a little 'tired' and minimal toilet items were provided. There was no bath gel or shampoo and conditioner provided and no bath mat or washer/flannel were provided. When asked if we could have these, we were told they are not supplied.
Complimentary tea is provided but no coffee and purified water is freely available from a dispenser on each floor.
Beds and pillows are small in size and rather firm. For those used to queen or king sized beds, it would be 'cosy' in the double bed provided..
Noise from activities in the streets in front of and behind the hotel can be intrusive even though sliding sound proofing is provided.
Breakfast is not included.. Paris Baguette is located on the ground floor or a little walk to Maccas if you want to buy breakfast.
Rooms do not contain safes and secure facilities can be obtained at Reception in the form of a locked box. You have the key.
Swimming pool area was locked and the pool was empty. Only open in August in spite of the weather being warm in September and early October when we were there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here for four nights. This was my second visit at this hotel. The first time was a few years ago. Upon arrival, I was happily surprised that the room I received was an updated and newly renovated room. I was surprisingly given the wheelchair accessible room and that was nice, as it was much bigger than I had expected. The room was located on a non-smoking floor as I requested. It was spacious, clean and quiet. Generally the cleanliness, space and comfort were great. Now for some of the areas needing improvement: For a hotel, I expected that robes would be provided however, they were not. There was also a strange odour in the room and I could not ventilate as windows were sealed. Also, essentials such as shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush or paste were not provided complementary. What was provided was a comb, two bars of soap, shower cap and facial toner/lotion. Additionally, the towels are in need of replacement as many are worn out, grey in color and smell of bleach. Moreover, this hotel does not provide sealed bottles of water only a metal pitcher that is changed daily. If taking an airport bus, it would be handier if the hotel allowed the drop off to be located right at their front door verses across the street. It was a difficult to lug the big luggage across the street with the crowds. On the positive side, the location is excellent. You are right in the center of Itaewon; steps away from food and shopping. The hotel also has dining options. The bell staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Also the internet connection was fast. The Wi-Fi was great and I was able to stay connected. The front staff seemed a little standoffish with just bare greetings but nothing special. For the sake of location, I would definitely book another newly renovated room. There are a few other options in Itaewon in terms of hotels, but this location is the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room with wifi
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank shate
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is very much what one would expect of a three star 1970s 80s City Hotel. The location is excellent and well situated for the subway and reasonably priced shopping. The decor is dated , the lobby busy and noisy, but the staff are helpful. I only ate breakfast here but there was a good choice and excellent value for money with something for everyone. THere are plenty of restaurants and bars and shops nearby including KFC and Burger KIng. I would return here based on location and price alone, but know I am staying at a three star property from the start.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Perugia, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

The position of the building is perfect, right above the metro station and along the main road in Itaewon.
I paid 132000 won per night, twin room, no breakfast. When I stepped inside my room the first thing I noticed was the carpet, a little worn. The bathroom looked very old, the curtain of the shower a little dirty but the thing that most bothered me was the presence of dozen of very little midges, from the tub to the rest of the room. Also the corners of the tub was very full of mildew.
The beds look clean and the pillows was comfortable. No problems with the air conditioning.
My bedroom faced over the main street of Itaewon and so there was so much noise until the dawn but It wasn't a problem for me (heavy sleep).
The personnel was very kind and speak very good english.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in Korea for 3 days and 2 nights. My mom had booked this hotel without me knowing. I had chosen other hotels but she chose this one instead. The price is good, I'll admit that, but the service was terrible. The first day I was there to check in, the lady at the front desk had poor English and whenever I tried to speak she interuppted me. When we got into our room everything was great until I saw the bathroom. The corners were gross and the lighting in that room was pretty dark. What also bothered me was that the small drawer they put in between twin beds was so dirty! I also had a hard time finding an outlet and when I did it was very inconvieniet considering that my charger's chord isn't very long and the outlet was so far from the beds or chairs. The location was ok as well. Sleeping was hard for me because I heard so much noise from outside. It was all club music and loud screaming. I really couldn't go to sleep. Also, the ladies that clean the rooms weren't that nice either. I came out of the elevator and they were in the corner. I walked past them and looked back to see if my mom was behind me and I saw the two ladies pointing at me and laughing! I was extremely mad. The day I went to check out, when I went to the front desk no one was there. I waited 15 minutes just standing there waiting for someone to notice me but no one cared. This hotel would have been a lot better if the service was worked on.

• Stayed August 2013