“A true texture experience, but don't go for the wine value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Jung Sik Dang
Ranked #3 of 122,430 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“A true texture experience, but don't go for the wine value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I enjoyed my meal at Jung Sik Dang in early November 2013. I had read rave reviews on the internet, with people touting the restaurant as one of Seoul's best for molecular gastronomy and modern fine dining. Summary: go for the great combination of textures, the subtle flavors, and the modern, artful presentation of classic Korean dishes. Don't go to be overwhelmed by new flavors or anticipating a well-crafted, well-valued wine list.

The chef's six course tasting focused on texture pairings and beautiful presentation. This restaurant is the kind of place where you want to take pictures of the food, not just because you're an insufferable hipster, but because what you're eating is truly art that needs to be appreciated. Traversing from inventions such as the Jungsik Salad and fried oysters to modern takes on classic Korean dishes like bibimbap, I was impressed by the perfect crunch they granted the oysters, the grainy goodness of the red bean cube (dessert amuse-bouche), and the wholesome cure-all-that-ails-you quality of their broths. i finished the meal satisfied and a little overwhelmed.

The wine service has much room for improvement. The white we selected came to the table in a bucket of ice; I had to request an additional glass (my friend who ordered the bottle - was he going to drink the whole thing himself? Or should I have ordered my own bottle?); we repeatedly had to ask for our glasses to be refilled once drained. Value for the wines was low - the wine list contained good bottles and choices by the glass, but they were marked up an extra 100% to 200% from what I typically anticipate in a restaurant. My recommendation? Order by the glass or pass up their alcohol entirely.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
“Even Koreans' are amazed: The best Gastronomie in Seoul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I visited this place because of my friend how used to live in NY and he told me the restaurant has another branch in NY as well. He hasn't visited there before, so that was why tried to have them in Korea at least.

First of all, you cannot imagine the taste from the pictures, never. This restaurant is using very high-end method to preserve & cook ingredients. It was very shocking to me that Jungsikdang acquired amazing presentation and out-standing quality of taste at the same time. The fame was not exaggerating at all.

The price of course menu is fixed but you can choose whatever you like for each phase through the course from multiful options. This is also what I like about this place. They open the various possiblity to combinate different foods in a course, not like other restuarant already chef determin what they servce through the course.

From first taste to end bites, my friends and I wowed all the time. Also staff are supportive and kind. I recommended this place to others a lot already.

Also you can book a room for function.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Not traditional, but gives the subtle flavors of Korea executed beautifully.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Jung Sik Dang is a Michelin two star restaurant in New York city for Korean food. Imagine sushi in Japan when with legends like Jiro (Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Joel Robuchon is a frequent guest who learned from Jiro-san).

Nobu and the concept of hip Japanese food that wasn't traditional, but tasted good. Jung Sik is providing the very culture and complexity of pairings of side dishes and Korean into a single course meal. He takes away the mistakes of adding too much vinegar, or the wrong order of meat into your course.

A number of really memorable dishes, uni-bi-bim-bap, a steak that was sous vide to appreciate the sheer quality of Korean Beef which has nuances that is better than Kobe beef, fried oyster plate was also a must order. All of their soups broths were made with such precision and worked well in succession.

This was a real pleasant surprise as I usually go to a Korean restaurant that does a specific dish finished really well, but I was enjoying his course meal. I could have done without his kimbab salad, but my wife loved the dish.

And also let me know when you can eat a two Michelin star restaurant for two for dinner with alcohol for less than $250 dollars.

Service was also outstanding, the best in Seoul.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kidkong
Perth, Australia
“Absolue gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a truly wonderful restaurant. You need a taxi with GPS and patience to find it, but it is an oasis of calm, that offers brilliant, sopisticated food and impeccable service. Don't expect large servings -- and I would recommend the tasting menu anyway, and it is not cheap. But perfect, on any international scale. Worth a trip to Seoul -- but don't tell anyone. I want to be able to get a table next time!

• Visited September 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Creative and tasty modern Korean food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

After struggling a bit to find the restaurant (google maps is a little off sometimes...) we found the building in the chichi area around dosan park in Gangnam gu. We had a wonderful dinner. We chose the kind of a la carte menu;'you have a five course menu with 3 choices each time for a total of 110000₩ (around 75€. The six course set menu is 130000₩). We both chose different dishes and were impressed by the way the chef takes typical Korean dishes and gives them a twist. After a few days in seoul I have to say I am not a big fan of the sour, pickled dishes, but the chef here makes it soooo good, that you can only want more. The presentation of the plates and the super service of the staff really would deserve a michelin star. We loved it and congratulate the whole team.
Wenknoemwhere we come to eat next time we are in seoul.

Visited July 2013