“First time in Seoul”

Seoul Base Camp Hostel
Ranked #110 of 592 Speciality Lodging in Seoul
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Coming to a new country ,not knowing where to go, and not knowing the language can be very intimidating. There are many hostels all over Seoul so choosing the right one can also be frustrating. Seoul Base Camp is on the smaller scale compared to a few other hostels I have stayed but I loved it. Min and Jake were awesome and easy to talk to. SBC is located in the Hongdae area so everything (food, shopping, and nightlife) are walking distance. The subway is literally (not kidding) just a couple of mins away which is great after a long day of exploring Seoul. SBC also has a cool rooftop to just chill out or have a fun night with people at the hostel....dont forget the free waffles in the morning. I enjoyed my stay at SBC and the perfect place for me.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Hyok K, Owner at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

J, it was great hosting you and I'm glad to hear that it was great for you too. Glad you enjoyed what we offer and wish you the best in your future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed solo here in May 2014. Its a good location to see Seoul from and the facilities are really good. I stayed in a four bed dorm with a window, which was great. My only issue was not being able to open the window. The beds wer standard with wondefully clean sheets. Love the sleeping bag and blanket idea - works well with Seouls tempramental weather. The bathroom is also top notch in terms of cleanliness - with lovely smelling shampoo. I didnt explore the kitchen area but the ambiance in the lounge area was really chilled. Jake was very helpful and I will definately be returning!

Room Tip: Room with a window is nice
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Glad to hear you enjoyed our clean sheet. Thank you and hope you had a great time. - Jake

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The location of this hostel is wonderful, not even a 5 minute walk from the subway. The place felt very relaxed and laid back. We were given free waffles in the morning for breakfast and the staff helped us decide what we should do for the day. Although our room was a little cramped it was perfect for sleeping and I would definitely go back again. They also had a nice large common area for meeting people. Only problem was there were no keys or security (although they did provide lockers).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you really enjoyed our space. We are working on a system to keep our place safe and help the guests feel safe too. Hope you enjoyed Seoul and we wish you the best in your future travels.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

For about a week we enjoyed the chill staff, waffles, and atmosphere at Seoul Base Camp. The location is pretty good - couldnt be closer to the subway and walking distance to a few good areas. The overall style is pretty utilitarian but comfortable enough. Would be nice to go there in the summer when the rooftop could be used. I did enjoy the shampoo, conditioner and bodywash provided in the showers (and the shower shoes!).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyok K, 매니저 at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Thank you! Our location and the simple set up is our strength.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

10 things I LOVE about SBC
1. Location. It has THE BEST location. Located just out of Hapjeong station. Takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to Hongdae. There's even a 7/11 downstairs (comes in handy when you run out of Korean Soju in the middle of the night)
2. Smell. This hostel smells GOOD! That was my first impression when I stepped in. I've always liked places with good smell cos it shows cleanliness.. which brings me to my next point
3. Cleanliness. SBC is really clean and tidy. It amazes me how chaotic things can be at night especially when we're drinking, crumbs on the floor, empty packet of chips on table... but when morning comes, everything becomes spick and span again.
4. Convenience. The airport limousine shuttle is just 2 minutes walk from SBC. Great for those with luggages.
5. Price. Total value for money. In fact, the service and experience that you will get far exceed the amount you paid for.
6. Ambiance. SBC has a homely feel to it. Place is super cosy and everyone's friendly. Good vibes. It's a Home away from Home.
7. People. Hostel owners, Jake and Min really know their stuff. If you ever need any 411 on Korea, they are the go-to guys. Did I mention that they speak perfect English too? The other travelers I got to know during my stay there are now my friends. :)
8. Accommodation. I got the 10bed mixed dorm. Looks similar to the Japanese sleeping capsules. You get your own personal space and even a power point to charge your hp.
9. Amenities. Towels are provided. There's shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the bathroom. There's even a hairdryer in the dressing area. They provide laundry services for a reasonable fee. SBC also has computers if you need to log on the net.
10. Rooftop. I can imagine the rooftop to be a popular hangout in Summer. The kitchen is located at the rooftop and you can help yourself to the loaves of bread and other food stuff. There's also a hot tub at the rooftop. :)

The only setback for me is having Post-SBC blues when I left.
I really love this place and I think you will too! Book it and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: The private cubbies are unique and gives you more privacy. SBC provides ear plugs for the light slee...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank limmarina

Wow, I don't think I can write something like this even if I tried. Thank you so much. Sorry for the post-sbc blues. We are always here to receive you again.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

On my first few trips to Seoul, I stayed at a number of hostels. But once I hit Seoul Base Camp (sometime in 2012), there was no going back -- I've stayed there on every trip up since, & have even called them up with more general questions when I've been in a bind in Seoul.

At first glance, it may seem a little "rough around the edges", but one soon comes to realise that that is part of the charm -- Jake, Min & the friends of Base Camp are constantly adding to the facilities as necessary, building things by hand… and having a good time doing so.

Not only is it central (a stone's throw away from Hapjeong subway stop AND 5-10 minutes away from Hongdae) and great value for money (it's the most affordable I've stayed at, there are waffles for brekkie, & it's one of the cleanest too), it also lends itself to wonderful community in a relaxed atmosphere.

Hmmm… Methinks it's time for another visit. Soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I've been in and out of Seoul many times and keep coming back to this place.

Seoul Base Camp is a very urban, very loft-like, spacious hostel right in Seoul's best neighborhood. It makes a great base for the best eating and drinking that the city has to offer. It is located just out of Hapjeong Station near an upscale, walkable and hip cafe district. Easy access to the airport and to the center of Seoul.

The owners / staff / other dwellers are always great.
Very clean.
Very accessible.
Rooftop perfect for evening drinks.
Perfect location.
Good price.
Your best choice in Seoul.

Room Tip: I slept fine in the 10-person dorm
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Hyok K, Owner at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Thank you so much for the review. I could not have said it better.