All reviews traditional korean breakfast traditional hanok korean experience family room shared bathroom every morning guest house kimchi main palaces wonderful hosts cochon warm hospitality other guests stayed for two nights awesome stay heated floors subway stop
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Good location, mini bus stops right at door stop literally! Close to shopping areas and sight seeing! Air conditioned with fan. Lovely and friendly multilingual staffs! Always go the extra mile! Good communication before and after (yes! follow up to see how we are going!) stay.

Room tip: Master bedroom has good city views
Date of stay: October 2013
1  Thank badcliq
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Hello ,
How are you ??
Thanks so much for your helpful coment !!!
We can shared the times with you ,it was a pleasure for us !!!
welcome to our guesthouse next time!!!
Have a sunny and nice day !!!!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Staying at this family run guest house, situated in the old part of Seoul, was a delightful experience. Our room was furnished with a traditional Korean bed which turned out to be extremely comfortable, even for an aged-challenged couple. Breakfast was traditional Korean food shared with other guests so we were able to swap experiences. Our hosts were very helpful with information on what to do for our short stay in Seoul and how to move around the city.
By staying in this guest house you experience a different side of a modern city; such a pleasant change from staying in an impersonal box hotel.

Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello ,thanks very much for your useful and friendly coment !!!
It was also a wonderful time for us to be with you !!!
we are so happy because we can help you and introduce some helpful information for you !!!!
Hope there is another chance stay with you !!!
Have a nice day !!!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Bukchon Maru Hanok Guesthouse for one night.
-As soon as I had booked and paid the accommodation, I received a confirmation email with very clear instructions and details, including address & contact details, detailed description how to get to the guesthouse from the airport, as well as wifi password.
-When I contacted the guesthouse that I would arrive after 6pm on my checkin date, I immediately received an email reply that someone would be waiting for me when I got there, so I could rest assured someone would be there by the time I got there.
-I had no trouble finding the guesthouse, according to the directions. It's a bit of a walk from Anguk Station (maximum 12-15 minutes), but I expected it because of the descriptions. It might not be ideal for someone with lots of luggage to walk up the hill, but apparently you can wait for a bus which stops right in front of the guesthouse.
-When I arrived, I was greeted by a very friendly staff (she knew English and fluent Mandarin Chinese!) who showed me to my room and explained everything in detail, e.g. how to lock the door, details on using the shared bathroom, details about breakfast the next morning etc. The staff had especially waited for me to arrive, even though it was out of office hours, which was really nice of her.]
-Everything was clean and nicely prepared in my room, and once I opened the windows, I had a great view of Seoul's city lights in the background. The room was actually a double-room for me (one person), which I thought was just enough. I'm not sure how small the single room is. The room was very simple: Other than the bedding, a hanger and a mini-chest drawer, there wasn't really any other furniture in the room. One thing I didn't think was that convenient was that the mirror on the wall was behind the mini chest drawers (very low, close to the floor) so you had to crouch down in order to see yourself in the mirror (this mainly is for girls who need to do make-up and hair). Moreover, the mirror was underneath this wooden pole where you can hang your things, so it was quite dark with the shade coming from the wooden pole above.
-A big jug of water and cups was provided in the room. I was also given towels.
-Just a word of caution- as the guesthouse is a traditional Korean house with sliding doors, the walls and doors are obviously rather thin, which means you may not get peace and quiet or feel like you have complete privacy. However, that was what I expected, so it didn't bother me.

-The shared bathroom was simple, but clean, and shared with one or two other rooms.
-Next morning, we were served breakfast in the common room. The rich Korean breakfast was homemade from organic ingredients by the owner of the guesthouse. The food was really great, consisting of several dishes with pickles, soup, rice and omelette. Two staff tended to us guests (we were 5 guests in total). Again, like the lady from the day before, the staff also spoke excellent Mandarin and told us interesting things about Korean culture. It really felt like you were at someone's home- very personal. After breakfast I asked the staff for some advice on getting around Seoul, and even though they weren't entirely sure about my question, they went out of their way to look things up for me and were very helpful.
-Soon after, it was already time for me to pack up and leave.

-The atmosphere of the historic neighbourhood is also well worth the stay. Because the guesthouse is located on the hill, you get a glimpse of all the little alleys with traditional Korean houses (there are lots of other guesthouses in the area), as well as traditional arts and crafts workshops. Less than 5 minutes walk from the guesthouse, the area is full of cute little cafes, eateries and small shops.

-Overall, I had a really nice experience at Bukchon Maru Guesthouse. It's very personalised and feels more like you're staying at someone's house. This obviously means that you shouldn't expect anything fancy and/or luxurious- it's very simple, but clean. Therefore, for anyone who is interested in experiencing what feels like an authentic, local Korean experience, I can only warmly recommend to stay at this guesthouse.

Thanks very much to Bukchon Maru Hanok Guesthouse for providing me with this wonderful experience.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank kuribonbon
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Hello ,thanks very much for your helpful and nice coment !!!
We are so happy when we read your reviews when there are so many details !!!
It was a wonderful time to be with you for us !!!
we also had the pleasure of staying with you !!!
It is the most things that we feel happy when we know you like our guesthouse and the service .
We want to serve you if there is another chance !!!
Hope this experience can be give you good memory !!!
we also remember the times that stay with you !!!
Hope you have a sunny and nice day !!!!
Please remember bukchonmaru guesthouse is your korean home ,welcome to go back at any time !!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

What wonderful hospitality! Beautiful neighborhood, cozy house, clean and quiet room, a VERY hospitable family, and to top it all off, the most delicious homemade Korean breakfast. My son and I stayed for 9 days at Buchon Maru.

Date of stay: August 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mattia B
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Hello ,thanks very much for your helpful and nice coment !!!!
It was also a wonderful time to be with you !!!
we are so happy when we read your reviews !!!
especially you like the Korean food !!!
our guesthouse's mama also very happy !!!
welcome to our guesthouse next time !!!
Have a nice day !!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Loved the authenticity of this place. The family that own it are so lovely and helpful. We weren't there long but they were great help. Got us in to a NANTA show, was great. The even provide a home cooked authentic breakfast each morning. I'm not a huge fan of weird and wonderful things but the home made seafood kimchi pancake was to die for ! Great place to check out. :) Highly Recommended.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hello ,dear friends ,thanks very much for your helpful and friendly coment !!!
It was very nice for us when we read your review !!!
And it was also a wonderful time to be with you !!!
Welcome to our guesthouse next time !!!
Have a nice and happy day !!!