“A real gem”

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A real gem”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The name "Furniture Museum" is misleading as it is much more than that. I learnt about the history, architecture and culture of Korea.

Although I was the only one who signed up for the tour that afternoon, they still conducted the tour.

The docent showed me around the various buildings and explained the different types of wood used for the furniture in the buildings. She also explained what the different pieces of furniture were used for. It was truly a great learning experience.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Visited April 2014
7 Thank Ann232013

• Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It was very nice”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I set up a reservation for an English tour a few days in advance, not all that staff spoke English but someone called me back who did. The tour started right on time and we walked around the outside of the facility first. This in not like the Korean palaces where you have a brochure and walk yourself around, the tour guide told us what she wanted us to know and then answered any questions we had. She then took us inside and showed us lots of antique handcrafted furniture. It sounds boring, but its not.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JoePole
Bangalore, India
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Hidden gem; one of the top 3 in Seoul”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Entrance is ONLY by prior reservation. $20 entry fee is well worth what you see in this unique "hanuk". The flawless English-speaking guide is well versed in the history of the royal dynasty and explains and answers all questions with ease. The name "Furniture Museum" is misleading as this is much more than just furniture display. If possible, ask for advance "high tea" catered at 3pm after the 2pm hour long guided tour. Catered by a French bakery. Photography inside is not permitted.

Visited April 2014
6 Thank global007
Paris, France
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Korean Architecture”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The title of the museum puzzled me at first, as I was thinking 'Korean furniture'?!?
But aside the collection of wooden korean furniture that's very nice indeed and well explained by a lovely guide with perfect English, it is actually the architecture of the whole place that is inspiring and worthing the visit. The founder of this museum lives there.
If you're looking for a pause in the time and space, then I recommend this charming detour.

Ticket fee is $20 for 1 hour visit.
At least 30' from downtown by taxi

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Esscale
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“One of My Top 3 in Seoul”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My top 3 are this, Bonguensa, and Gyeongbokgung Palace, but I like old stuff. I really couldn't decide which I liked best. This museum is quiet and polite. Be prepared to take off your shoes and quietly sit on mats, but the buildings, furniture and views are stunning. Our guide for the english tour was gracious, knowledgeable and friendly. RESERVATIONS are required. It's a bit hard to find, but that's part of the adventure. I road my bike to get there (killer hills), and asked directions several times practicing my pathetic korean. The farther away from the tourist district you get the friendlier people are. I,ve got to say korean policemen are awesome, friendly, helpful and ubiquitous.

Visited September 2013