“Best Hotel So Far!”

JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul
Ranked #9 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Brand new JW Marriott that's very central in Seoul.
It is what you would expect from a 5 star signature hotel. This hotel just opened up in early 2014 and offers all the amenities you could want in a resort style hotel (minus beach).

1.) The hotel staff are very friendly and accommodating and speak many languages.
2.) The executive lounge area is amazing and provides many views of the city. The food, drinks and service was awesome.
3.) Pool, Spa and fitness area is unexpectedly large with nice upscale equipment with 4 simulated golf ranges. You have a fruit/snack bar, lounge and private lounge area if you want to get away. I had to force myself to leave otherwise I would spend half the day working out, golfing and relaxing.
4.) The rooms are very modern and automated. In Asia most rooms are going to have double beds unless requested in advance. Beds were perfect and comfortable. The room had an Nespresso machine, safe, and fridge for drinks. They put a lot of thought into the rooms for the many foreign travelers Large bathroom/shower.
I can't wait to come back to Korea in a year and will stay at the JW in Seoul!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Nicholas_Tse, General Manager at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

I would like to express my sincere appreciation of sharing your valuable comments and beautiful photos. It is very heartwarming to learn that your stay was enjoyable.

Thank you so much for enjoying our facilities, amenities and services during your stay with us.
Your great comments have created such an encouragement for all of our associates. Learning how our guests enjoyed while staying with us brings excitement for us to push ourselves further for continuously improving JW service.

Thank you again for sharing your valuable comments with us. Please feel free to contact me with your next trip plan to Seoul and I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival. This would be another opportunity for us to prepare a full enjoyment for you at our Fitness & Spa!

We look forward to having you with us again in a year time!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel has a posh boutique feel with the latest decor and helpful attentive staff.
ROOMS: beautiful and well designed. A bedside panel controls curtains, ac, lighting. There is some traffic noise so if you are sensitive ask for a quiet facing.
RESTAURANTS: very expensive like most Seoul hotels.
LOCATION: Good for shopping and sightseeing. Doota, Lotte Fitin, & Migliore a short walk away. I find them expensive - average prices higher than in US. Myeongdong is better for medium price fashions. Short taxi ride to the Palaces and Namsan.
The only disadvantage is that unlike the Gangnam JW Marriott there is no connected department store, restaurants and food hall. So if the weather is cold or hot or raining you will be exposed since eating in the hotel is expensive.
Most taxis won't know this place yet so make sure you have the Korean address and map printed out to show the taxi driver.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank phdtravel

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

I sincerely appreciate for your time to share your valuable comments.

It was our delight to have you with us and thank you for your warm comments on our facilities and service.

It is exciting to know that our location was comfortable for you. It is true our hotel is located in the heart of shopping malls and market selling from raw materials to all-made products.

Including Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) being one of attractions to visit, Cheonggye stream and Fortress wall park are adding merits to our location. As you have shared, being in northern side of Han River, historical and cultural views and atmosphere that can be enjoyed more easily.

We know it may take a little time but we are putting our best efforts to advertise and familiarize the taxi companies so our guests can travel comfortably.

We are constantly looking for areas to develop and improve for all our guests to enjoy every moment with us. It is our ultimate goal for our guests to feel the comfort with JW service.

I would like to personally thank you again for your comments and please let me know of your next trip plan to Seoul, I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in advance.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We came to Seoul in Sept 2013 and stayed at Westin Seoul last time. We found that there were nothing to shop and eat after 10pm. So that we decided to try JW Marriott Dongdaemun this time, the hotel just newly open for few months. The room is specious and new decorated with high technology. I love this hotel because of the location itself quite convinent to shop and eat in the middle of the night.

Due to new opening for coupon months, some operating issue we did encounter during our stayed.

1) Check-in : It was a small hotel with full occupancy. Please expect you will not get your room even it was 3pm check-in time.

2) Housekeeping : Housekeeping did a great job but don't know why they never refill the complimentary water everyday so we need to call housekeeping to refill it daily.

3) Friendy staffs: We would like to thank Rachel, Walker and Ronald provided us tremidious hospitality experience.

4) Room temperature : Please aware that the room temperature was 24 celsius above no matter how hard we tried to set the air-conditioning. The lowest we can get was 24 celsius and highest can reach to 26 celsius above. That was one issue for us cannot have good quality of sleep because we sweated all night long like staying in a sauna room. It would be great that the guest can adjust the room temperature in real to fit their own personal need. This was a major concern for us to come back JW Dongdaemun because of the air-conditioning.

5) Transportation : There is no airport shuttle connect to this hotel yet. Most of the taxi drivers are not familiar of this new hotel so please bring along the hotel name card with you. The problem is there are no map on it and the taxi drivers did not know the exact location after seeing the name card. I suggested the hotel should print the map in their hotel name card which can help a lot. Luckily I can show the taxi drivers direction how to get back to hotel, all of them showed me a surprising face there was a JW Marriott Dongdaemun hotel. Besides that, there are not many taxi come to this hotel and we always being told by hotel staffs to walk to Doota mall front door to get taxi. I think hotel should install a taxi signage if hotel guest want to get a cab in front of the hotel instead need to walk a long way.

Dining: We haven't tried any of the hotel restaurant because we didn't eat breakfast after all night shopping and always out for shopping only came back hotel room for asleep....... :))))))

Service: Most of the staffs can speak good English but some didn't. We did face a problem to communicate with a phone operator in the middle of the night once when we asked for help. But only once indicent happened during our stay.

In general, I would say this is nice hotel to stay only room temperature buzzed me ....

Room Tip: Check your room temperature when you check-in and close the curtain everyday because the sunlight wi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank HongKongTrojan

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

I would like to express my sincere appreciation for taking time to share your valuable comments.
Every comment from our guests is the guide for us to know areas to improve, develop and maintain to be further groomed as true JW service.

It is with heavy heart to learn that some areas during your stay were not enjoyable.

I personally shared your comments with immediate attention to our management team especially with Operation and Engineering departments. It may be small details such as bottled water replenishment but that can bring comfortable environment and result different stay for our guests which we need to focus on with our full attention. Our Engineering team is investigating further on the air-conditioning to ensure and prevent any future reoccurrences.

Thank you for your warm comments on our team and service with special attention to Rachel, Walker and Ronald. This has been an encouragement for all our associates!

Also based on your comment, we are preparing our taxi card with our hotel map and address for easier recognition to taxi drivers who may not know us yet.

Please rest assured that we are constantly putting our best efforts and focusing on all our guests to enjoy every moment with us.

If you would allow us for another chance, we would like to ensure your next stay will be a different experience with true JW service. Please let me know when your next trip to Seoul is planned, I would like to prepare your arrival in advance. And this would be another opportunity for you to experience our restaurants as well!

I would like to thank you again for your comments and please let me know if I can be at any assistance. I will be more than happy to be at your service.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights in JW Marriott Dongdaemun in May 2014. Was thinking of trying this hotel since Ive not been here yet. It's a brand new hotel.

Some teething issues with new staff training maybe when I first asked 1 front desk staff on supermarkets and shopping places, the information I had were not quite correct (ie she claims most supermarkets were closed by 8 or 9pm and redirected me to some supermarkets far away. The following day, I asked the front desk again and this gentlemen actually handed me a number of ready-made handouts detailing a lot of the supermarkets around here within walking or a short train/taxi ride away, and best of all, opens till midnight! It was very professional and I'ven't seen these handouts by other hotels. Usually they would just guide you on the map.

The room I had was perfect but it was a low floor and it has glass without tint (whole hotel) and so the proximity feeling with the man on the streets was so close. Of course you have the option to draw the day/night curtains.

I tried the restaurant on the 2nd floor (BLT). I find it pricey but the food was simply top notched and that explains everything!

The only downside for me was that this hotel has no airport bus stopping here. You have to take a cab to other hotels for airport limo bus services. It's a factor to choose my next stay in Seoul though. But this area is right in Dongdaemun. So shopping is abundant and the convenience factor of coming back to rest your feets, in between shopping breaks.

Regardless, I still must rate this hotel 5*. Won't be a mistake to give it a try.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Nicholas_Tse, General Manager at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

It is sad to learn that we could not make every moment with us to be comfortable and flawless.
I personally shared your comments with our management team especially with Operation departments. It may be small details but that can bring comfortable environment and result different stay for our guests which we need to focus on with our full attention. We would like to be fully prepared for our guests with location inquiries, minor detail while travelling in a foreign city can be very helpful to our guests.

Regarding the airport limousine bus, this is one of big challenges for us to solve and we are working on this. As the routes for buses in this area has been set already, making immediate amendments is difficult but please rest assured that we are continuously searching for alternative options in the meanwhile for our guests.

I would like to thank you again for your comments and if I can learn of your next planned trip to Seoul, I would like to prepare your arrival in advance.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed at Hotel JW Marriott @ Dongdaemun , the east gate of old Seoul. the hotel is mid sized compared to other 5 star’s in Seoul but The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful, I really liked the hotel. My reason to pick this hotel was the proximity to my office but if you like shopping you will be glad to know that this hotel is right next to shopping area, actually there is a fashion mall next to it called Doota fashion mall , a mall where fashion never sleeps yes it stays open throughout the night. Also there is street few minutes away, called toys alley or toys street, its got shops after shops selling toys and stationery. For toys shopping , there is a ToysrUs also, selling mostly Korean & Chinese toys.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank trvlr1974

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you for your valuable comments and it is truly exciting to learn your stay with us was enjoyable.

This has been an encouragement to all of our associates to know how our guests enjoyed the stay, giving us to push ourselves further to provide better service for our guests with JW spirit.

Our location is definitely in the heart of markets and sleepless shopping area which has been convenient for not only guests on leisure trip but also for guests on business trip to work on the shopping list. I am happy to learn that our location has been comfortable for you and thank you for your kind details for other guests to learn more of our hotel and area!

We sincerely appreciate you sharing your comments with us and please let me know with your next trip plan to Seoul; I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in advance.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I went to Seoul for a mini vacation. Our preference was to stay at either Myeongdong or Dongaemun. I researched and couldn't find a newer 4-5 stars in both locations which are close to the subway. The Marriott is actually right on top of the subway line #4. Our plan was to take the airport rail/taxi package, but as we arrived Seoul Station after 7PM, the deal was off, and we winded up taking the subway instead. Although the two rails were connected and it's only 6-7 stations, there was indeed a lot of walking, stairs, and ups and downs so I would not recommend the subway option especially if you have big luggages.
Once we came out of exit 8, the hotel was right in front, and I couldn't be more happier with what I saw - new, trendy, spacious hotel, lots of facilities. You don't find that in downtown Seoul unless you stay at the Gangnam area. What I was most impressed with, is that they are very fluent in English, and they are very alert and attentive to your needs, and they are not shy to offer a smile and help. That must have good training in that regards.
My wife was not feeling well and we had to go to a hospital. Fortunately hotel had a staff accompanied us 'cause otherwise we will never be able to get through to the hospital staff and medical personnel, who claim to speak English. The hotel staff (Eddie) ran around to get everything working, even pass along some knowledge of the traditional Korean massage therapy. Irrespective to what caused my wife to be hospitalized, we truly appreciate the assistance, the acquaintance and the exceptional communication skills. When we got out of the hospital, all staff in the hotel was aware of our situation, offered assistance whenever they saw us around. Kudos to Susan and her team for making us feel extremely comfortable in a difficult time.
If I would like to name something that they can improve on, it would be that we were booked on a hotel package with daily cocktail and F&B arrangement but seemed a good number of staff were not aware of the package set up and posting procedure. This has caused some inconvenience but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that it's probably a promotion that was too new and my being their first customer of the package.
Well guess who got my vote for the best hotel in Seoul.

Room Tip: Most rooms facing Dongdaemun Gate. If not, ask for a room to have that view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mctdog

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you for sharing valuable comments and wonderful photos of our hotel!

For airport transportation, subway is definitely one way to experience Korea but it is very true that there’s walking and stairs to consider if you are travelling with much luggage.

Thank you for your warm compliments on our service, special attention to Eddie, Susan and her team. We fully understand how difficult it can be when not feeling well while away from home. I am happy to learn that our effort made you a little more comfortable while staying with us and wish this did not affect your memories in Seoul. I truly hope your wife has recovered fully and please let me know if there’s anything I can assist.

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on areas that we can improve further. It is through our guests’ eyes to shed lights on areas that we can learn and work on to develop our service. I have shared with our management team to conduct training thoroughly to ensure our guests to experience our professional JW service at all times.

I sincerely appreciate you sharing your comments with us and please let me know with your next trip plan to Seoul; I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in advance.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel service amazing they don't allow you to press the button in the elevator. Food not so good,very clean.I'm first time in South Korea and I'm
surprised but it is positive surprise.For sure I will go there again but I will try other hotel but I think it's good hotel. :=)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you so much for your valuable comment and it was definitely a learning moment for us to know which areas to focus further.

I was proud to learn that our team was there for you whenever you entered our door for warm greeting. I firmly believe our guests should feel the warmth once stepping into our hotel – home away from home in Seoul.

I would like to thank you for your comment on our food. I have taken liberty to share with our management team, special attention to our Food and Beverage department for us to discuss and put every effort for our guests to feel top quality of JW service and food whenever dining with us. If we can learn more about your experience on food or any additional details, please let us know. We are happy to hear from you – we believe this is the best way to learn areas for us to improve for our guests.

I would like to personally thank you again for your comments and please let me know of your next trip plan to Seoul; I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in advance.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future!