1,126 results
All reviews east gate the executive lounge griffin bar sky view room skyview room blt ddp the entire staff breakfast and happy hour the general manager concierge staff platinum member special thanks nespresso machine subway station wonderful hotel indoor pool
Reviewed 19 March 2016

The design is very striking from the outside considering its built on the side of a textiles warehouse and market. it isn't the tallest hotel in Seoul but I admire the LEED certification and clever use of space. Definitely try to book an Executive Skyview room if you can. The views of Dongdaemun gate are spectacular. BLT does great meat and drinks. The Griffin bar as well. A very good place to stay in Dongdaemun, Seoul.

Stayed: October 2015
JWMDSS, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2016

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

It is truly heartwarming to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable – allowed to be your best choice is very honored and flattering!
We will be pushing ourselves further for our guests to enjoy every moment with us with true JW service.

Thank you again for your encouraging comments and please do not hesitate to contact us with your next trip to Seoul! I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future!

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Everything has been said about this hotel. However, when it’s all said and done it boils down to personal service and this hotel exceeds your expectations in that respect. After arriving from Tokyo, taking the Airport Railway to the Seoul Station, connecting to the subway and arriving at Dongdaemun Subway to the J.W. its up and out you go and there’s the hotel right in front of you. The check-in experience was terrific and I was recognized for my Platinum Status and offered a welcome gift (which isn’t always the case). My girlfriend and I pack light so we didn’t need assistance going to the room, but it was offered. Once we arrived in the room we were blown away with the view of Dongdaemun Gate, but more so with the room itself.

I live in hotels and most of the time I spend is in New York so I know a good product when I see it. The room was dripping in marble and had every amenity one could ask for. I particularly enjoyed being able to turn on and off the lights, mechanically open or close the blinds, or control any other function from the bedside. We had an Executive Suite with a direct view of the Gate. The bathroom was more than spacious as well as the closet space that also had drawers. I always like a room where there’s true separation between the sleeping and living quarters and this room provided that. It also included a Nespresso Machine although we didn’t use it. The provided teas are excellent and we did partake in them.

The timing of our arrival coincided with the afternoon hors d'oeuvres in the Executive Lounge. Now this is where the service really shined. We were greeted very warmly and I was impressed at how beautiful the space was. While we were in Tokyo we stayed at a much larger property and the intimate feel of this space in comparison was refreshing. We sat down and were promptly offered a drink, why not right? We then perused the selection of snacks and it’s certainly a sight to behold. A great way to have a couple drinks before dinner or heading out and some snacks of very high quality that are made in house. A few moments later one of the attendants approached us and asked if she could take our photo “so that she could pass it along to the rest of the staff so they would know who we were”. I want to ask anyone if that’s ever happened to them?

We had a great nice sleep as the bed was very comfortable. My girlfriend likes a softer mattress, I prefer a more firm one, but somehow this appeased both of us. The next morning we went to the gym and it’s more like a commercial gym rather than a hotel gym. Huge, spotless, and provided every machine, and weight setup you could ask for. I was jealous really as I never stay at places that have a gym that rivals the one at the J.W. After cleaning up we went up to the lounge and were greeted by name by an attendant who did not work the evening before so obviously they had passed along our photos. The breakfast service is excellent and what’s unusual is that they have a list of 5 made to order offerings. Personally, I can’t recommend the spicy kimchi stew enough. It was fantastic and the presentation was beautiful. Everything again was top notch and I never felt mobbed or rushed trying to eat, which was a real plus.

On to Seoul itself. I didn’t do my typical research as we both had been extremely busy at work and didn’t really have a clue what to expect. I must say that I was highly impressed with the city itself and the amazing cultural history that’s there. Gyeongbokgung Palace or Gyeongbok Palace, which was the main royal palace of the Joseon dynasty and can easily be accessed via Subway from the hotel (we walked one way, took the Subway back).It was built in 1395 and we thought it rivaled the Forbidden City in Beijing in grandeur. There’s lots of things to see and do in Seoul so you certainly won’t be bored.

We had a great time sampling the terrific street food and had excellent Bibimbap, Bulgogi, Hoeddeok (sweet syrupy pancakes served in a cup so you can eat on the run), every kind of steamed or fried dumpling you can imagine, as well as some epic fried chicken. There’s ample places to eat everywhere we visited. I recommend Gwangjang Market, which is just west of the hotel. We ended up eating there twice and the food was delicious, affordable, and the sights and smells were amazing. In addition since all rooms face the Dongdaemun Gate if you go past the gate and head up to the neighborhood behind the Fortress Wall (its hilly) we found that area very interesting and completely tourist less, which was a plus. Go get yourself some Korean Chicken and Beer or Soju in one of the many places that serve it. Don’t be scared we didn’t speak with anyone in English in several places, but we were treated warmly and I couldn’t believe how good the food was. Most things entrees we bought ran about 5,000 Won (about $4 U.S.) dollars and were fresh, tasty, and left us satisfied. The Korean Beers are also very good (we enjoyed Cass and Max in particular).

I think you get the point. Great hotel, great city, but I want to once again come full circle and talk about the service. I would like to call out these associates (in no particular order): Sol, Sue, Amy, Bella, Jessica, and Justin for their excellent customer service and exceptionally warm and friendly personalities. That’s what really made it for the both of us and we will certainly be returning. Kamsahamnida to everyone at the J.W. Marriott Dongdaemun Square.

Room Tip: The rooms are all on one side of the hotel so they all would have a view
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovestotravel35801
JWMDSS, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you for your valuable comments and it is truly exciting to learn of your stay with us was enjoyable.
It is very rewarding when learning of how our guests had comfortable stay with us and we thank you for sharing with us and enjoying our preparation of your arrival including staff service, room condition and facilities.

Located in a heart of Dongdaemun with shopping malls in walking distance and subway station right next to the hotel has been a convenient factor for our guests and we are happy to learn that it has assisted you as well. Subway system in Seoul is one of comfortable ways to visit and explore different parts of the city without being in the traffic jam.

With your grateful and learning comments, we will be taking this as a great opportunity to develop and push ourselves further to provide another true JW experience for you.

With any future trip plans to visit Seoul or any inquiries, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Reviewed 13 March 2016

My husband has just returned from a business trip to Seoul and was extremely pleased with his stay in this hotel. His room was spacious,light,clean and very comfortable. The breakfasts were amazing and offered a great choice of food. The best thing about this hotel were the staff -they were all, without exception, helpful and very friendly, going out of their way to do as much as they could to make his stay comfortable. The concierge in particular was very pleasant.
This is a great hotel and a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank ABarrett_12
JWMDSS, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2016

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you so much for your comments and it has been our true delight to be a part of your trip in Seoul. We appreciate your loyalty to JW Marriott.
It is exciting to learn that our preparations of your arrival including our room, staff service have provided a comfortable stay for you.
We are truly excited and encouraged to learn of your wonderful comments and we will be taking this as a great opportunity to develop and push ourselves further to provide another true JW experience for you.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

Overall wonderful experience! The customer service was top notch and the rooms were clean and modern.

We used the hotel for airport pickup, met us at arrivals with no issue. Nice clean van for the 75 minute drive to the hotel. Staff was ready fro us and had all rooms ready to go while we got a snack in the lounge. Rooms with nice and unique, clean and had strong wifi.

Overall very pleased with the stay, would recommend especially to Marriott elite members.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
JWMDSS, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2016

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

We sincerely appreciate your valuable comments with details which will definitely enlighten our future guests. It is great and exciting for us to learn that your stay was convenient and enjoyable.

We firmly believe our guests should be able to experience our JW service from the moment the reservation is made, first foot down at the hotel and until the moment you are safely back home.

We thank you for your warm compliments on our concierge service which has been very exciting for me and our team to learn.
Thank you again sharing your comments and please feel free to contact us with your next trip plan to Seoul.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

Hotel is conveniently located near Dongdaemun station and it's a perfect location if you are going for the wholesale shopping at night. We took the limousine bus from the Airport and it was just a straight 5-7 minutes walk from the bus stop to the Hotel. There's really no need to take a taxi and spend that money. The limo bus only costs W$10,000. If you are planning to visit Myeongdong, it's just a few stops on the subway (don't even need to change line).

Received a free upgrade to a better room with a good view of the Dongdaemun gate. The hotel room is very comfortable, maybe because of the huge windows and the curtains will be drawn automatically whenever you enter the room.

Hotel provides L'occitane toiletries. Bed is comfortable and room is spacious.
I am surprised to see hair ironing curler provided. Great for ladies like me. haha.

Must visit the indoor swimming pool! I was advised by the concierge that the swimming pool is featured in many K-drama. Very pretty pool indeed!

Service is excellent and I truly enjoyed my stay here. I will definitely come back to stay when I am back in Seoul, despite the not so budget-friendly price.

Room Tip: Club Floor at Level 8
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank eskonia
JWMDSS, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2016

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

It is very rewarding for us to know how our guests enjoyed our hotel, beautiful room and location, staff service that we have prepared.
Your encouraging comments to our team have been a true motivation to all our team members. It is our top priority to ensure our guests feel and experience the comfort zone when staying with us.
We firmly believe our guests should be able to experience our JW service from the moment the reservation is made, first foot down at the lobby and until the moment you are safely back home.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and please feel free to contact us with your next trip plan to Seoul and I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in person.