“Solid all around”

Ranked #109 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
Yokohama, Japan
“Solid all around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

(Note: 4 stars is very good to me; I don't give 5 stars unless it's incredible)
This hotel met all our needs, no complaints. Location, price, service and amenities were all very good. Recommended if it fits your budget. Breakfast buffet is very high quality and great variety, but also pricey. Front desk staff was always helpful. Gangnam is sort of "up and coming" area of Seoul, not historic or scenic, but plenty of restaurants, bars, etc, and close enough to the sightseeing areas, train or taxi. Airport access is also pretty good, by train or taxi.
*Tip: Always get hotel staff to write directions for the taxi driver (unless you speak Korean), cuz only one in 10 can understand any English!!

1 Thank Madam_S_jpn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Verona, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Gangnam area is pretty well known among the travellers to be one of the most expensive area in Seoul. The hotel is conveniently located near to Sinnonhyeon tube station and KAL limousine stop is just out of the Hotel.
That said nothing to say about the location and to tell the true even the service at the reception was good.
What really disappointed me was the fitness area.....a too small room that didn't make you feel the need to make some workout....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BW_Premier_Gangnam, Manager at BEST WESTERN Premier Gangnam, responded to this review, 9 July 2015
Dear our valued guest

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!
Thank you so much for your valuable review! It is always so great to learn that our guest was satisfied with us. Your precise and specific review would be very helpful for other guests.
Thank you so much for your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again in Seoul! Have a great day.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Gangham area is very expensive, therefore this is the best CP value hotel I could find (It's cheaper than Ibis chain)
The breakfast is ok.

+ Supermarket is just 3 min away
+ Airport Limousine bus stops in front of the hotel
+ Adequate room

- The surrounding is kind of boring.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BW_Premier_Gangnam, Manager at BEST WESTERN Premier Gangnam, responded to this review, 29 June 2015
Dear. Ms. Tat v

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!

Thank You very much for your compliment about our hotel.

We are looking forward to see you next time in the future
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The fact is, that it’s very hard to define, what is the best location to stay a few nights in Gangnam. For us, the Best Western Premier offered pretty much all we could hope for. Just 5 mins walk down the street, there’s the nearest metro station Sinnonhyeon giving you easy access to everywhere in the city. From there you can also turn left to Gangnam-daero street with good variety of shops and underground malls. And parallel to the shopping street, one street up, there’s a restaurant street Bongeunsa-ro 2-gil with all kinds of eateries from Asian to European. On the opposite side of the shopping street there are plenty of bars and nightclubs to satisfy the urges of any kind of night owl. The hotel might not be quite the claimed 4-star level among Asian hotels, but still, it is well kept, the rooms are of good size and the personnel were very friendly and polite indeed. Incheon airport shuttle leaving right outside the front door is a big bonus.

2 Thank Jarimalla
BW_Premier_Gangnam, 세일즈 디렉터 at BEST WESTERN Premier Gangnam, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear our valued guest-Jarimalla,

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. With your review, we realized that you are the expert of Gangnam area, Seoul! :) As you pointed out, our hotel is located in a convenient area in Gangnam with various dinings and entertainments.
We are delighted to learn that your recent stay was satisfying and look forward to welcoming you soon. See you soon in Seoul!

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights whilst attending a conference at aT centre. It's ideally located - quick walk to a lively restaurant area filled with cheap Korean bbq & Fried Chicken places. The reception staff were very helpful in recommending restaurants & offering advice on how to travel around the city. The rooms are not deluxe or very modern, but they are of a good size, clean, have windows that open & I was able to sleep really well. Also enjoyed the room service - delicious Bulgogi! A good economical choice in the Gangnam area.

Room Tip: Request a room facing north (not the main street side)
2 Thank cwo29
Dear our valued guest-cwo29,

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to learn that your recent stay with us was a pleasant one. We promise you to provide better service next time you will be with us in Seoul! :)
Once again, we really appreciate your valuable opinion and hope you have a great day!

BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was my first stay at Best Western Premier Gangnam. I usually stay at Ibis Ambassador Gangnam if I'm watching my budget or at Shilla or Intercontinental Coex if not. I have sometimes stayed at Best Western near airports in the U.S.when I needed a bed for the night between flights and I appreciated Best Western's dependable service and facility. Nothing fancy but it met my need. Based on that I thought I would give this one a try since Ibis Ambassador if very popular and sometimes I have not been able to book in time.

Clean rooms but not the most convenient location: I will never stay here again but in spirit of fairness, I will point out that I do agree with some of the positives described in other members' reviews: the rooms are modest size but clean and pricing is decent. The day time check in staff was friendly. But, as a Korean American who is familiar with Seoul, I will point out that the location is not as ideal as some point out. Immediate surrounding area is not attractive and one has a bit of walk to reach area with decent quality food. Especially for foreigners, I would think hotels near Coex would be significantly more convenient and fun. There are more convenient choices in Gangnam area for similar budget. I also agree with other most recent review that noted that room was unusually warm and turning off the heat and a small window with limited opening space did little to cool the room.

Unprofessional staff: I checked in yesterday and checked out after only 6 hours. The room I was given was clean and had a metal door which connected to another room. No problem I thought until the evening when couple of girls checked into the next room. I could hear all their conversations and loud laughters. Around 9:00 pm I called the front desk to enquier about changing the room. I began by informing the front desk that I thought the connecting door must not block out the sound too well as I consider the noise from the next room to be too loud. Before I could go on to request room change, the manager curtly said and I quote his exact words (translated in English) " our hotel has a very good sound proofing!"

I was taken back by his challenging tone and words but I simply told him that regardless, I found the noise to be disturbing. Perhaps sensing my irritation, he responded that he could call the next room. But,when informed him that since I blame the thin connecting metal doors and that I prefer to change room, he replied that I coudl do so in the morning. Rather than continue this silly conversation, I decided to go down to the front desk.

Front desk was manned by only one person who had answered my phone call (I think his name was "Noah Lee") and I explained that I would prefer to change room asap rather than next day. Having checked the computer, he noted that he could only give me a room with two single beds for that night but then I would have to move again next day to double bed room as all single bed rooms are booked. Normally this would not bother me but this young man's unfriendly tone and manner upset me and I asked if I could check out early without any penalty. I actually asked if he could "help me" so I do not have to pay for the whole booking or early check out penalty. Since I had booked for 4 nights, I offered to pay for one night if the hotel would not charge me for the whole booking.

This Lee fellow responded by asking me if I was a Best Western loyalty member (he was looking at my reservation record as he asked). When I replied that I was (I booked via Best Western website and decided to join), he noted that he knew from my record. Now I'm becoming seriously annoyed: why ask if he knew? Is this some kind of a game? He said he asked to confirm if I was a member because he could see that I had booked as a member via Best Western website and therefore he can not help me (what this has to do with being a member is beyond me!) and that I need to go through Best Western.

I was incredulous and told him so. I asked why I need to go through the website or call the customer service when I'm physically in the hotel and in front of him. He then went to get a name card and pointing to Best Western Gangnam phone number asked me "you booked through the website didn't you? Did you call this number to book?" When I told him it should not matter how my reservation was made, he answered that" this hotel is actually owned by a local company, not Best Western. Best Western is only contracted out to manage the property."

By this time, I'm seriously pissed off. Told him that I do know something about hotel industry (I used to finance hotel projects in my previous life) and I challenged him to explain why he is distancing himself from Best Western and passing me off to the company website as if I'm some fool when he is standing right in front of me. I asked if he is representing Best Western or not. Is he reprenting the Korean firm that owns the buidling only.

He said that he is representing Best Western but I need to lower my voice and calm down so he can explain it all to me. He then offended me further by actually taking out a small notepad and pen, wrote figures 1,2,3,4 representing four nights that I booked and circled 1. He said that I booked four but want to check out after first day.(He must have assumed I have trouble counting up to 4 hence the need for the pad and paper and circling of number 1 and 4). He said "you may know from your experience that once you check in you are liable for the whole booking." I replied that I know all this which is why I asked if he could do anything for me. It was a simple question: Will Best Western Gangnam insist on charging me for all 4 nights even if I check out immediately? That is all I wanted to know.

He replied that he cannot help me avoid the charge for four nights. Since he could not help, I ask to speak to anyone senior who can decide. This Lee fellow pointed out that he is the Night Desk Manager and that I can deal with him. I decided to end this ridiculous conversation by summarizing our exchanges:" You are telling me that you can't and will not waive the four night charges?" He confirmed that he would not. I challenged him why did not simply be honest and direct with me and say no the first time to avoid all this silly and unnessary talk. If he cannot help me with my request, I asked to speak to his superior. Fortunately, the local General Manager was present. I had him come up to my room and sit on my bed to listen to the noise and he agree that sound proofing in connecting rooms are not very good. He also noted that the hotel was full and could not change the room for me. He was sorry but asked that I wait till next day to change rooms. He was reluctant but finally agreed to charge me for the first night and waive the charge for night 2,3,and 4. I wasn't pleased to pay for the night that I never spend but I was just happy to get away from Best Western Premier Gangnam.

I realize that Best Western, in return for lower rates can not offer the best of facilities and locations. I know they also need to hold back on salaries and cannot attract the best and the brightest in the hospitality industry. I know that. I don't expect or demand Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. Best Western is basically a motel service. I know all that. But, I believe we can all expect and demand some basic courtesy and manners.

This most unpleasant and unneccessary experince has convinced me to avoid not only Best Western Gangnam but in the U.S. as well. A note to Best Western CEO: if you do not have capability to train and manage staff or local partners (who are as this fellow pointed out separate business), you should not go international. You are out of your league.

6 Thank Hank072010
BW_Premier_Gangnam, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Premier Gangnam, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear our valued guest-Hank072010,

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you might experience. We feel indeed sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

We totally understand that you were uncomfortable with other guests’ noise next door. As your room was one of the connecting rooms, there is a thick portable sound proofing wall between two metal doors. As it usually works well and had no complaints about the noise, our front desk told you that we have a good sound proofing. It would be much better that we could change your room to another. However, as you were told that the date you stayed with us was almost fully booked. You stayed in our double room and there was only one twin room available and even no twin room available from the next day. Hence, change the room twice was the only option we could offer you at the moment. We apologize that we could not meet your expectations and promise you to double check the sound proof wall once again, so it will never happen again.

In terms of change of reservation, please understand that the hotel cannot change guests’ reservation made through online travel agencies including Bestwestern.com. We understand it sounds weird but that is because to prevent any arbitrary modification of the reservation by anyone except the guest him/herself. Therefore, once a guest change his/her reservation through online travel agency(website or customer service etc.), then the online travel agency informs the hotel the guest’s modification details via Fax or e-mail(as the evidence of reservation change record) then the hotel can change the reservation. However that may be, you found the staff’s manner unpleasant, which is something making us feel so terribly sorry. As we got your review, we investigated exactly what happened. We totally understand that the staff’s incompetent response might make you feel bad. We will train him respectively so this kind of thing will not happen. Please accept our apology.

Once again, we are very sorry for the convenience you experienced. We take your comments indeed seriously and train all of our staffs again. We so much appreciate you to let us know the problem and give us the chance to correct it. Thank you so much for your kind understanding and if you give us any chance to serve you in the future, please let us know.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Can be a good hotel due to their employee with good beds but I had a big issue during my stay with the temperature in my room 27degre Celsius! And no possibility to adjust it except if you open the window ( important circulation noise in the street)
So bad surprise , and no more stay from myside in this hotel during this season for the future.
The restaurant and the breakfast are good with an important choice

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fred33333
Dear our valued guest-Fred33333,

Warmest greetings from BEST WESTERN PREMIER Gangnam Hotel, Seoul!
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! We are indeed sorry for the inconvenience you might experience. Please understand that we do not run air conditioning because of installation of central heating in winter season. We so much appreciate your valuable comments about us and look forward to welcoming you soon again in Seoul! Thank you!