“modern, stylish - totally gangnam style!”
Review of Park Hyatt Seoul

Park Hyatt Seoul
Ranked #42 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 14 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights during our mini trip to Asia in March 2011 (our original plan to go to Tokyo was cancelled due to the earthquake & tsunami). We were able to get a room and even use our suite upgrades for a Park Suite on short notice.

The hotel is a beautifully designed glass building with a modern interior and furnishings.
Our room was spacious with the bedroom overlooking the city - floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom featured a Toto toilet (with heated seat, bidet, sound effects, and other functions), heated floor, rain shower with a stone wall, and a giant tub with views of the city.

As a Hyatt Diamond, we got to eat breakfast at the restaurant downstairs - Cornerstone. The breakfast buffet was impressive with both Korean and continental food.

The service was excellent. The staff looked young, almost like they could appear in a Korean drama or Kpop music video. Everyone was attentive and helpful.

The hotel is in a great location. There is an entrance to Samseong Station just outside the hotel. We were able to take the subway to Lotte World and Myeong-dong. Samseong Station also has the Korea Air City Terminal where we were able to check in our baggage before getting on a bus limosine to Incheon Airport. The hotel offered complimentary shuttle service to the station despite it being literally across the street and less than 5 minutes away.

2  Thank FIFItheWorldTraveler

Reviewed 12 December 2012

Great rooms, luxury, privacy and service make this an easy recommendation. Seoul can often be a crazy, congested, hectic city, so I have found the peaceful secluded feel to the hotel and its rooms to be a welcome break. To access the lobby, you must take an elevator up, which limits foot traffic and the associated crowds and noise. One inside the hotel, one can begin to relax and unwind. This is currently my "go to" business hotel in Seoul and stay there at least once a year.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JNelsonRedSoxFan
Reviewed 7 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights (Dec. 3 - 6) for our honeymoon. This is after a 4 night stay in the Sheraton D-Cube in another district.

Obviously chose this hotel as it's #1 on TA. First impressions were it seemed very boutique, exclusive even. Lobby is on the top floor so you get great views from the lobby lounge. Staff was great -- perfect English, always offered to carry our shopping bags, arranged transportation for us, etc.

We had a slight problem with our room...our initial room was 1601 right next to the elevators.. Before entering the room you could smell a damp, stale water smell that got stronger once you entered the room. We thought it would go away but the smell remained every time we returned. We thought it must have something to do with a backed-up water pipe because a room in a 5 star hotel should not smell like that.
After the first night we requested to move rooms, one of the staff who came to check admitted he smelled it too. The hotel immediately moved us rooms and (upgraded) us to a suite which was unexpected. The front desk manager, Susie, was very accommodating and gave us great service. The smell in the new room was better but still lingered, especially in the hallway.

Other than that our stay was very pleasant. Bath amenities were very nice, (Aesop products) towels thick and fluffy, huge floor to ceiling windows with great views of the business district and COEX mall. Having a metro entrance right outside the hotel was great, as it started snowing the last 2 days of our trip.

I would definitely stay here again if the smell problem was fixed...I am very surprised no other review has commented on this as it is very obvious when you step out of the escalator onto your floor.

1  Thank lizuming
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This hotel is very nice. The service is discreet and good. The Italian restaurant is quite nice as well. The room service was fast and tasty. With all that in mind, the place just lacks something, character maybe? Charm, definitely. The rooms are very industrial-looking inside and thus not very welcoming. When I went to the spa to use the swimming pool, I was struck by how fussy the staff there were. Perhaps it's a cultural difference, but they were very particular as to where I put my slippers, robe, and towel on the side of the pool. I thought it was odd, as I was the only one using it. They even insisted that I wear a swim cap, even though I wasn't putting my face or head into the water. It kind of made me feel like they thought I was dirty or something. I only used the pool once due to this. Overall though, it was a good place to stay in Seoul.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2012

From its high modernist design to its sublime service, it is easy to admire the Park Hyatt. Like the Mandarin in Tokyo, the lobby is at the top of the building, and you descend to rooms from there. Yet while the Mandarin dazzles with an unforgettable architectural lobby spectacle—even within the confines of an otherwise standard looking glass tower—the Park Hyatt plays it more coolly. The lobby is a narrow, quiet, mid-century modern play of textured granite, glass, and blonde wood. The feel throughout is that of a private club, complete with a secret handshake—the surprisingly challenging play of elevators that requires you to go up before you go down (and vice-versa) when leaving the hotel or returning to your room.

Thoughtful Guest splurged on a suite—one of the best we have ever seen. The craftsmanship in the cabinetry alone is hard to find in the better private homes. Brushed concrete walls are actually engineered to look warm through patterned grooving, especially when placed alongside warm wood panels, simple upholstery, and throw carpets.

Everything you have heard about the high-exposure, floor-to-ceiling windows throughout, and especially in the bathroom, dazzles, and even makes you laugh a little. One quickly understands why a magazine once said that this was the best hotel in which to be naked. In practice, however, you can enjoy all the surprise of being under a shower or in your tub without alarming passersby. Between turning off key lights, lowering the blinds just a little, and waiting for steam to fog up the windows, the spectacle is yours alone.

On our chilly December visit, air in the hotel was punishingly dry, though we were impressed when a request for a room humidifier was immediately granted. Indeed, there are many complimentary perks to take advantage of throughout the stay, including a personal trainer at the gym during morning hours, free use of gym clothes and disposable swimwear, pool and Jacuzzi with spectacular views, and on.

We took the subway from Incheon on arrival—a full two hours door to door, longer than we had anticipated, but free of the traffic that buses and taxis can run into, for less than $5.

We dined one night in the lobby lounge—not for the faint of heart with glasses of wine starting at $23. Again, the feel was more that of private social meetings than the runway look of a palace hotel.

For those looking to visit Seoul while in town, the location is not ideal—any trip up to Rodeo Drive for high end shopping, to Itaewon, or Insadong takes an extra 20 minutes on top of what you might spend when leaving the Shilla or Grand Hyatt.

Hallway carpets could use a little steaming—one too many cups of coffee look as if they have been spilled there. There is not much to find wrong in this superb spot.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Its really strange to say this but I was actually excited when I knew that I had to make a trip to Seoul and stay at Park Hyatt Hotel. I fell in love with it the second time.

After a long ride from the airport at midnight, its so refreshing to be greeted by warm Koreans who rushed to your car and usher you in quickly. And it helps that they are good-looking and spoke fluent English. In fact, I concluded both these criteria must have formed part of their recruitment criteria. :)

The room is amazing still and I'm really sad to be leaving tomorrow. Everything I commented in my previous review continued to be true.

So here's the big question. If I were to be in Seoul for leisure, would I pay this amount and stay here? The answer is a likely yes(and this is the third business hotel at this price range that I have this highest rating).

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Coex Mall/Glass Tower for a quietor sleep
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bottega007
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I was at the Park Hyatt Seoul at the end of Oct and it was really a remarkable hotel!
The location is good which is right next to the coex mall. The entrance was a bit small when i arrived then i realized the lobby was actually on the 24th floor. The check in was fast and smooth and I was escort to my room. I was at the corner suite on the 17th floor which is very spacious and the decor was so welcoming and homey. The view from my room was so good and the floor to ceiling is so just lovely I ended up stayed in the living room all night to enjoy the music and the view!
The breakfast is good, not too many choice but food are with high quality. It is my habit to drink fresh kiwi juice every morning and this is the only hotel i've ever stayed in that can cater for my needs during my breakfast buffet which is a big plus for me!
I really love to stay longer but unfortunately it is a short trip but I will definitely go back next time. Only downfall is the elevator, it is really confusing and I ended up spending a lot of time hopping around several lifts and floor before I can get to the ground floor again!!!

• Stayed: October 2012