“It depends on your priorities”
Review of Provista Hotel

Provista Hotel
Ranked #192 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I spent 10 days at the Provista Hotel in March. I was on business and was attending a conference at the A2 center which was 3 metro stops away. My initial reaction was so-so but I must say the hotel grew on me the longer I stayed. Nevertheless, I think it will depend on one's priorities as to whether one would want to choose this hotel.
Some things to consider are:
1. location: the hotel is close to the subway stop (Seoul National University of Education) and this was very convenient. The subway system is great. But if you are interested in the central tourist activities, it can take some time to get there. (30 minutes)
2. Room: I asked for a non-smoking room and was worried that there might be smoke on the floor or that my room wasn't really non-smoking. But it was fine. NO smoke anywhere which is extremely important for me. I was told I was on a non-smoking floor (10th) and it appeared to be true. I also asked for a quiet room and was given one at the end of the hall (far from the elevator) and it was great (no outside noise). However, I was lucky in that for most of the time, I had quiet neighbors. The last night a family with children moved in next door and they were loud (or the walls were thin). I was happy to be leaving the next day.
The room has a washing machine which was great for me because I was there for 10 days. It worked perfectly and it washed and mostly dried the clothes in the same machine. They were barely damp at the end. I brought a small bag of liquid detergent with me and it worked perfectly. However, I did ask the front desk to send someone up to show me how the machine worked and I chose a low temperature.
The room also had a small kitchen corner with small refrigerator and hot water kettle, and a few dishes. No microwave. I found this very convenient. There is a convenience store similar to 7-11 almost next to the hotel (and near the metro) and I bought a few things for breakfast. For me this kitchen corner and refrigerator were important and made my stay much more enjoyable.
I had a double deluxe room which was quite large for me (single person). There are steps and a little loft upstairs. I didn't use it and it didn't seem very nice (just a mattress on the floor). I personally would NOT want to sleep up there but I suppose it might be ok for children. (I still wouldn't recommend anyone staying up there).
The room had a flat screen TV and lots of channels in English, CNN, BBC, AXN (which had endless CSI re-runs) and a few others.
I will say the one thing that I didn't like was the mattress. It gave new meaning to the word "hard". I slept on top of the comforter to make it more bearable. This is the one aspect of the room that would make me look for another hotel if I go back to Seoul. The hotel could really improve the rooms with new, more comfortable mattresses.
Overall: The room was not new. It had a worn look (furniture was scratched and corners were peeling) but it seemed quite clean. The couch was sort of plastic and looked 10 years old at least. The bathroom only had a shower which I liked (no bathtub) and the toilet seat was heated. If you are looking for a modern hotel (marriot/hilton like), this is not it.
From Airport, the hotel is unbelievably convenient. I was lucky and walked out of the airport and the 6020 airport bus was pulling up. I got on (paid my 15,000 - Korean) and it took me right to the hotel. It stopped directly in front of the hotel. Taking the same 6020 bus back to the airport was not quite as easy (but not much more difficult). I had to walk up the street a little past the metro stop (Seoul National University of Education) and cross the street and there is a airport bus stop sign. It is very easy to find. The hotel will give you a list of the times the bus will arrive. I was there a few minutes and the bus arrived. All extremely easy.
Gym: As I am a gym person, I was happy to see the gym. It was in the "basement" B2. Closed on Sunday (darn) but open all other days 6am-11 pm. The equipment was good (not new but fine). There were about 8 treadmills (all had little TVs that you could plug in your headphones). There were two elliptical machines (very old and I had never seen this type before) but they worked pretty well. They also had a pretty good selection of weight machines and free weights. I think the gym was open to non-hotel guests as well which might explain the quantity of equipment.
Restaurants: there is a small restaurant in the hotel where one could get breakfast and and Outback Steakhouse in the basement B1 but I didn't eat at either one so I can't comment on the food. I did look at the menu for the breakfast place and the prices seemed very high. There are so many places to eat near the hotel that it is easy to eat elsewhere (and more cheaply).
Customer Service: I didn't need much service but I did ask the front desk for directions a few times and they were accommodating. One young man was particularly nice and helped me find things on a map.
Final note: Yes I would recommend the hotel for some people as long as they understand this is not a modern, luxury hotel and if they don't mind a very hard bed and potentially noise from neighbors. I might stay there again but would look around to see if I could find some of the same amenities in a little more modern hotel a little closer to the center of the city. Nevertheless I was satisfied with my stay there (the cost was more affordable than the more modern hotels nearer the center).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank blanco1

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Staying here was very convenient, location is excellent. Five minutes to the Seoul Arts Center, ten minutes by subway to the Express Bus Terminal and St. Mary's Hospital. Fifteen minutes to the other bus terminal, Nambu Bus Terminal.

Wifi is strong in the room, washing machine, kitchen and TV are very convenient. One disadvantage is that the walls are thin so that sounds can be heard from other rooms. I did not have a chance to use the Fitness Center, but when I looked in there they had all the exercise machines and the people were friendly. Also, the restaurant in the hotel is very good with reasonable prices. Just next to the hotel is an Outback Steakhouse with family style dishes.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Daejin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. It was a convenient bus ride from the airport. The gym was very nice and the hotel was close to the subway and walking distance to Gangnam. The washing machine and dryer were really convenient. There is an air pollution problem in this city so there was an issue with ventilation in the room. There was no air conditioning since evenings are cold even in October, but if you opened the window you would have to deal with air pollution. This presented the choice of either a stuffy room or a polluted room. I also had some difficulty in getting served or paying at the restaurant and some issues with the front desk staff not following through. Don't expect help with baggage. Nevertheless, the hotel was clean, comfortable and in a good location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Colettetravel1
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I love this hotel! We booked a Deluxe Twin Room for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids for 9 nights, and we requested for an extra bed in the loft. I paid extra for the bed in the loft. It was cold during our stay in mid December, so we spent most of our time in the hotel room. We had heated hardwood floors! The loft area had a low ceiling height, but my kids were happy to stay up there for the entire day when it was simply too cold to be on the street.

The kitchen came with everything you need to cook! Bring oil if you plan to fry. I made scrambled eggs for breakfast during our stay. You could buy grocery at the nearby supermarket called emart. It is less than 10 minutes walk from the hotel. The freezer compartment in the refrigerator did not work very well, our ice cream became cream. This seems to be the same everywhere. We never had a hotel freezer that kept our ice cream solid. Oh, there is also a McDonald's nearby. There is a place called Chinese Kitchen next to McDonald's. It sells Japanese bento (or lunchbox), fresh and hot! Although the name is Chinese Kitchen, it does not sell Chinese food. :)

It is not unusual to have kitchens in a hotel room, but it is really unusual to have a hotel room with a washer/dryer. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. The instructions are in Korean, but I have provided basic help in my photograph if you want to use it. I am going to book this hotel again should I visit Seoul again simply because I love the washer/dryer so much! You don't have to carry so many sets of clothes for your trip. How wonderful! The dryer worked very well! Of course, you know all clothes come out of the dryer are in funny shapes and some became "smaller". Borrow an iron from the housekeeping and you can fix the problem. Do remember to bring your own laundry detergent. You can also buy a small bottle/bag of laundry detergent at Diaso (everything from 1000KRW to 3000KRW) across the street opposite emart.

The shower area is enclosed, and the water pressure is reasonably good. If you find your water not warm enough, you will need to get someone to help you set the temperature right. The heater control panel is on the wall near the stairs to the loft. Everything is in Korean! We had a hard time trying to figure out how to use that panel. It is better to call the front desk to send someone to help you do that. :)

I almost forget to mention the heated toilet seat! I love heated toilet seat in winter! It is a bidet toilet equipped with cleaning functions.

If you like Korean BBQ, the other travelers have recommended a good one across the street. It was indeed very good! There were so many bowls of salads and pickles. The minimum order is 2 portions per meat selection. If you order too much, your table will be filled with plates and bowls, and of course, you will have trouble finish them. A couple of servers at this restaurant speak Mandarin.

There are 2 stations near the hotel. The National University of Education Station is closer, and the Gangnam Station is farther, taking about 15 to 20 mins walk. The streets in the Gangnam Station area have plenty of good cafes and restaurants. You can also find street foods in that area.

We took the Airport Limousine from Incheon Airport to Jinhueng Apt, and walked about 5 minutes to the hotel. The ticket costs 15,000 KRW per adult and 11,000 KRW per child (12 and under). You can pay cash or use T-Money cards when you get on the bus. You board the bus at the same level as the arrival hall, but you must go out to the street. The travel time was about 50 mins to an hour. We took the same Airport Limousine bus 6020 to the airport across the street in front of the hotel Artnouveau City 3. There is a 7-eleven store at the arrival hall of the airport whereby you can buy your t-money cards. There is a deposit on every card, but you can get a refund on the remaining value and the deposit at this 7-eleven store before leaving Seoul. Of course, this card can also be purchased at all train stations. The t-money cards can be used in many places, not limited to bus and train rides.

In general, Koreans don't speak English, but many stores have salesladies that speak Mandarin.

The thin walls were the only problem during our stay. We could hear the ringing sound of our neighbors. We could also hear next door's doorbell! On 4 nights of our stay, my next door family with young kid(s) always came back past 11pm, resulting in a few doorbell rings (probably coming from their friends/family members from other rooms). They also had their volume of the TV or radio on high, and they started talking loudly each time they returned to the hotel. They also sang (karaoke!) on one early morning at 2:30am! We all jumped up from our bed wondering what was going on. I could hear the lyrics of the songs so clearly! Glad they didn't stay long. During their stay, every morning, at 9:30am, the cleaning lady would press my neighbor's doorbell and we would all be woken up! Thin walls? Loud doorbell? The cleaning lady also pressed our doorbell at 9:30am if we forgot to put up the sign "Do Not Disturb". If you want to sleep late, please remember the door sign.

Although the walls were thin, we could not hear the traffic noise from the street. Our room was on the 11th floor.

The TV has many channels, but Disney is in Korean! :(

My kids love the loft, I love the kitchen and washer/dryer, and my husband and all of us can't live without wifi. A great hotel!

Room Tip: Perhaps, a room with no adjacent room would be ideal. We had a corner room, with only one neighbor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Choonglim
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Last month was my second stay at the Provista in as many years. It's a good combination of location (close to the subway, the airport bus stop and the Gangnam district; with plenty of cool spots within walking distance) and value.

My most recent visit found the room to be less-than-perfect, though serviceable… I'm talking dust, scratched furniture and previous occupant's cap in the drawer; nothing worse. Amenities here are business-basic.

But there's a kitchenette, washer/dryer combo in-room, and the bed was comfortable and clean. Plenty of room "upstairs" (our room came with a little loft area) for luggage, which is a nice bonus… there's an extra mattress up there, too, although I wouldn't want to try sleeping there (ceilings are *maybe* 4 feet high?). Desk staff was fine… on neither of my stays here has there been any sort of problem or delay with processing reservations or payments.

Last point: taxis coming west (from Gangnam et al.) have a very convenient U-turn right in front of the hotel. Sounds trivial, but it makes it very easy to get home at the end of a long night.

Recommended, if you're looking for good value and a decent, not-fancy stay (especially for business; they're geared for that sort of thing).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for a week during a business trip, and it was a decent hotel. The room was very large and felt like a little home (including kitchen, laundry machine, sofa, refridgerator). Staff was very attentive. I asked if I could rent a iron and it was immediately delivered to my room at no charge and I could keep it for the week. Beds were very hard, so I stuck my self inflatable matrass underneath the linen to soften the bed up a little.
Breakfast was extensive but mostly Asian. There was some fresh fruit.

The area surrounding the hotel has plenty of places to eat and drink, for shops you can head into the main Gangnam district which is about 12mins walk.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lisa325
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I visited Seoul on a business trip in Sept'13. Upon arriving at the Incheon Airport took the Airport limousine to Hotel Provista. The hotel rooms are excellent for a business traveler. I booked a Standard room which by design was a duplex room. The room had all amenities including a refrigerator, cooking gas, washing machine etc. which may be required if someone wants to stay for longer business travels. I didn't try the food at the hotel as I was constantly on the move and due to my preference for Vegetarian food. The hotel had good surroundings and just a km away from the downtown Gangnam which is a very happening hangout. The subway staions is also nearby. Overall it was an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road offer a better view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business