“Location and Value”

Ranked #109 of 497 Hotels in Seoul
La Jolla, California
“Location and Value”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is the second time I am staying at Doulos Hotel. Location, location, location. It is centrally located in Jongno 3-ga. First, from the ICN airport you take #6002 bus to Jongno 3-ga stop, and the hotel is only about two or three short blocks from the stop through a tiny alleyway. It is also close to the Subway Line 1 Jongno 3-ga entrance/exit (#15, I believe) and close to bus stops. It is also walking distance to several tourist sightseeing places downtown. The hotel is very clean and well appointed for a business hotel. The room is small but has everything except I wish it has more electrical outlets. I like the soft pillows. The breakfast is a buffet with hot and cold items; mainly western fare like scrambled eggs, sausages, ham and cheese, yogurts, pastries, fruits, but also dumplings. Overall, it's an excellent value. I'll come back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Charles T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here 22-29 December 2013. Place is fine. Experienced the cold, but snowing only when we visited the JSA/Camp Bonifas..

I travelled there on the 6002 bus from Incheon.Immediately adjacent to where the bus stops there is a lane, narrow. 2 people could pass each other just but wouldn't walk side by side. It was so narrow I ignored it (my mistake). The lane is between a clothes shop and a jewellery that has a sign No 15 above it.

Yes it is by the subway entrance (No 15) as you get off the bus, but I assumed that this was an underpass. You only see the sign re entrance/exit 15 if you are standing at the entrance.

Anyway, you figure out that the main entrance to Doulos, (where a taxi would go) is....

get of the bus, walk back in the direction you have come from to the intersection/street corner, turn L, walk for 50 to 70 metres to the second lane on your L (big enough for a vehicle to drive down) walk 50 metres and you are there. There are other hotels and a convenience store.

If you went this way, first impressions are favourable, more so than the narrow lane.

The Hotel
Friendly staff at reception, room big enough for me, clean and tidy, functional bathroom, bottled water every day, small fridge for your use. If you use your imagination you can vary the breakfast. Nice breakfast room,

5 minutes from Tagpol (Pagoda) Park. 7 minutes from Insadong and close to the palaces so the location is great.

When I departed I checked my bag in with Korean Air at the city terminal (a short subway trip to Seoul Station).
Why? to "sample the system, This worked fine also.

I did a tour of the JSA with the company that depart from the Lotte Hotel

ie: International Cultural Service Club www.tourdmz.com

So, very good hotel, great destination with variety and wonderful people.

Highly recommended, the destination and Hotel Doulos.

DCtheKiwi

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Acedog
singapore
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked this hotel after seeing that it won some award on Tripadvisor. I must say that this hotel is somewhat difficult to locate if you are taking the train or airport bus to Seoul. It is off the main road and the taxi drivers in Seoul seldom drive into the backalleys because it's difficult for them to come out. However, having said that, the location of the hotel is generally quite ideal because (once you are familiar) it is near the subway station and also there are lots of eateries/cafes in the area.

We stayed on the 6th floor and the room was really small. The housekeeping wasn't fantastic either. We actually found a box of mochis (food) wrapped among our "supposed" new towels. The room's window was spoilt after a while but the hotel staff repaired it for us immediately.

The staff provided very good service during our stay there, being extremely courteous and friendly. They spoke quite good English, especially Michael, who was nice and spoke good English. The map provided on the hotel's name card is extremely small, together with the hanguk (korean) characters. It may be best if you can ask the hotel staff to write the hanguk characters on a bigger piece of paper so that you can show it to taxi drivers (if you take the taxi) because the taxi drivers can hardly speak English.

We felt that the location (albeit hard to find at first) and the friendly service more than made up for the hotel's very minor flaws so we will probably stay here again when we revisit Seoul.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the lifts perhaps. My room was Room 603 and frankly, not much noise like what som...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emyllis
NJ
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I decided to book this place based on other people’s reviews and it’s central location. This was just my first albeit short trip to Seoul and Korea, on a stopover from Istanbul to Sydney.

My morning flight into Seoul arrived around 10am. IFirst surprise was that I could not easily transfer from the airport train at Seoul Central to L1. Oh, well, live and learn. Then I tried to follow the directions to the hotel itself, from the L1 train stop. Well, that was very confusing. It took me some 20 minutes to find the hotel, after asking for directions at another less “secluded” place. Because I arrived at Doulos around 12:30pm I was told my room was not ready and the checkin is at 2pm anyway. Not a problem. But when I asked for a map of Seoul they did not have one in English and handed me over a map in Japanese. It took some time to get acquainted with Seoul this way.

The (standard double) room itself is small. I was on the third floor, so the room did not have the nice skylight type of window, which they show in hotel photos. On the other hand, it was clean (except for a few long dark hairs on the toilette) and had pretty much everything I needed.

The hotel location is indeed good. Near the L1 train, not too far from palaces, many coffee shops around. This was the plus, despite the difficult-to-find location.

Now, the trouble was the thin walls and noisy neighbors. I made it back to my room around 11pm, after exploring Seoul and a delicious dinner with my friend. I was greeted by some screening kids (not babies) next door. This went on until about midnight. So be forewarned: the walls are very thin! The rest of the night was quiet but around maybe 6am I started smelling cooking oil from the hotel kitchen. It turns out the kitchen and the dining areas are on the 2nd floor, right below where I was. The smell was not overwhelming, yet it was strong enough to wake me up. Opening the window was not a choice as it was fairly cold outside.

The breakfast was actually decent. Some pastries (croissants were quite good), fruit, yogurt, eggs, sliced meats. Nothing to brag about but tasty.

Overall, the stay was decent but if I ever go back to Seoul (which I’d like to), Doulos will probably not be my choice again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank vipnj
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel was easy for us to locate as we took a cab there. If you are unsure, just follow the map given on the hotel's website. :) There are many eateries in the area and many working adults have their gatherings there late at night. The area definitely transformed at night with all the neon lights. During the stay, the room we had was small but very clean and sufficient (with necessary toiletries, heater, tv with many channels etc.) Happy that there is a laundry room for us to use and the airport bus transfer is very nearby! The staff were also very fluent in English and rather helpful in their explanations on how to get to places.
However, it is a bit troublesome to go down to level 2 to get drinking water, especially when it's late at night. So perhaps, every floor can be provided with drinking water or thermal flasks provided in rooms.
Also, Myeongdong is not as near as mentioned. It is actually quite a walk and we even considered taking subway to the nearest station instead but still, the lines are different. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Myeongdong but imagine having to walk through and fro many times especially when you are very tired.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayne E
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is our second stay at the Doulos Hotel. I highly recommend this hotel, it's a short walking distance from Jongno 3 station. It's close by many restaurants and at night food stands pop up at the corner near the hotel for some cheap, clean, and tasty street food. The Doulos hotel is also close to the Insadong Tourist spot where you can book your day trip to Nami Island.
There's also the airport bus stop across the street that the Doulos Hotel alleyway is located.
We'd be staying here again the next time we spend time in Seoul.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the alleyway so you won't end up smelling the fish being grill...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kikaytrekkie
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Very nice place, and beautifully located in the city. Very close to a subway stop, right in the middle of the action, with friendly and helpful service. In house auto laundry.
Highly recommended, both for busines and for pleasure trips.
R