“Great value, location with friendly staff”
Review of City View Hotel

City View Hotel
Ranked #24 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed at City View Hotel for 5 days in October 2011. It was recommended to me by another Trip Advisor member and I'm so glad I took her advice. The hotel is relatively small, just one floor in a building which is accessed by a very clean vanilla scented lift! The hotel has a real family “feel” to it which I loved. All areas of the hotel were clean and well kept.
The excellent location is within walking distance of Tahrir Square, Downtown, AUC, metro stops, shops, restaurants and of course the museum. As a guide, I paid these fares in a metered white taxi from the hotel to - Islamic Cairo/Khan el Khalili 8 – 10 LE, Giza 30LE, Zamalek 8LE.
The breakfast was more than adequate with a couple of different hot dishes each day eg. beef schwarma, felafel, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, boiled eggs, tomatoes, potatoes etc as well as omelettes cooked to order. There was also toast, rolls, croissants, cereal, juice – the powdered variety, tea & coffee, cold meats, cheeses, fruit & yoghurt.
On my arrival day, I ate dinner in the Ali Baba restaurant and had a kofta sandwich with fries and salad which was hot and tasty for 27LE. They also have nice cold stella beer for about 15LE per bottle and it was always served with a bowl of tasty peanuts, a 1.5 litre bottle of water was 4LE.
The internet was 10LE per hour, there was usually one of the computers free and the speed was fine. Make sure you move the mouse around from time to time or you get logged out, not a huge problem as the reception guys will log you in again.
The doorman, reception, restaurant and room cleaners were all polite and helpful, not waiting for tips and not hovering or knocking on your door.
I visited the hotel again in November to show some friends around and to use the bathroom and internet, they remembered me by name and were genuinely happy to see me back, asking about my travels so far.
I was travelling by myself so my room was a single with two single beds, it was just near reception overlooking El Bostan street, it was a bit noisy due to arrivals/departures but I was so exhausted from my walks that I was able to sleep well. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the reception area.
The room had a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall with very good reception, there are literally hundreds of channels with quite a few english ones.
The bathroom was clean and I noticed that the cracked toilet seat was changed the next day without me even asking. The towels were plentiful and clean & the soap/shampoo were replenished daily.
The bed was comfortable and clean also and the air-con was terrific with a switch for sleeping, so a lot quieter.
I would definitely stay there again, good value for your money.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for one away from the reception area.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Nefertari
There are newer reviews for City View Hotel

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Big rooms, nice staff without being too pushy, reasonable breakfast, comfortable beds, hot water worked, close to Tahir Sq and the Eyptian museum. Of 3 hotels we stayed at in Cairo, this is the only one I would return to.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank lalac88
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 10 day in April 2011 on account of the TripAdvisor reviews. As an older solo female traveler, I was very happy with the on-Tahrir Square location, safe and well-lit neighborhood with tourist police presence, the clean and modern room with a balcony overlooking Tahrir Square, the good quality Egyptian hot breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, the ease of catching a taxi right outside the hotel, 5 minute walk to Metro Station (Sadat), the low-cost of using the computer, and the short walking distance to the main shopping street Talaat Harb where lots of eating places are within short walking distance. The Egyptian Antiquity Museum is literally across the street. In 10 days walking all over Cairo alone, I was never hassled by anyone – probably because I dressed like a local woman. Local people could see that I am a tourist (I am Asian) and were exceedingly kind and helpful despite the lack of a common language. I felt completely safe and everything is quite cheap there (food, taxi, train, metro). Because of this good experience, I went back to Egypt in November this year to visit Luxor and Aswan which was also a good experience. I would definitely recommend solo female travelers to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank AshleySFCA
Reviewed 22 November 2011

5 mins walk to Egyptian museum. Ok breakfast. Good value. Noisy room Initially but changed to quiet one on next night without issues. Clean spacious rooms. Friendly staff but tarred by trying to decieve us on leaving by mis-informing us about our delayed transport and offering alternative means to take business away from initial company.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Having stayed there for 3 nights, I found City View Hotel literally money value. Friendly and helpful staff, abundant breakfast and well-equipped room are of reasons which make me love staying here again should I have a chance to revisit Cairo.

However, the best of City View Hotel is its excellent location. Exactly like its name, my room balcony was simply opposite the city view where Cairo Museum and Tahrir Square could be seen with ease. Plus, from the hotel, I could reach other places of interest in walking distance, such as, shisha cafes, bars & restaurants and a very long shopping street nearby.

Highly recommend for those searching for a really comfortable bed in Cairo center

Room Tip: Must ask for the city-view room if you'd like!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Frankie_Lam
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It is one of the cleanest 3 stars hotels in Cairo. Clean rooms, W.C. Nice view to Tahrir squar, and very helpful friendly staff.
The breakfast is a bit poor.
Internet wifi is speed (not like in Europe but you can watch youtube videos )
Most of taxi drivers do not know this hotel, so you should tell them to take El Bustan Street and stop 20 meters before the intersection between El Bustan Street and Tahrir Squar.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was very pleased with this budget-priced stay. The entrance is a bit hard to find, but even in Cairo all the taxis can find Tahrir Square, and the rooms (all with private balcony) overlook the square, Cairo Museum, and Nile, which is a great view and a great convenience in a place where a driver can rarely get where you are going without asking several times for directions. It is right at #1 Al Boustan street, a major street with many cafes, restaurants, and shops near by of all kinds and prices. Tahrir square has traffic 24/7, which creates a bit of noise, but my experience was that everywhere in old Cairo has traffic 24/7.

The hotel is on the 5th floor, so don't be disconcerted by the lobby. The staff were very friendly and very helpful, often making recommendations that saved me time and money during my stay - even when this meant NOT selling me an overpriced car or some such service. Laundry service was quick and reasonably priced, room had satellite TV, AC, mosquito repellent, and a mini fridge. The room was clean, bathroom was comfortable, and furniture was comfortable though certainly not opulent.

Importantly for me, the hotel had free WiFi, and actually had three access points operating so that in any room or the restaurant you could always find a decent signal.

The restaurant "Ali Baba" provides breakfast each morning, and the staff even called me when I overslept to ask if i would like it brought to my room before it was cleared away. That courtesy made my first jet-lagged morning livable. The restaurant serves beer (many hotels and restaurants in Cairo do not!) 24 HOURS, and at very reasonable prices, not hotel prices. While I mostly ate at local restaurants the quality of food and prices were comparable at the restaurant, and they had a surprisingly good Spaghetti Bolognese. The restaurant staff were also incredibly friendly, accommodating, and helpful: I mentioned that I like fresh fruit for breakfast and the next day fruit salad in hibiscus juice was on the buffet.

I very highly recommend this hotel in this price range, and frankly I think most travellers will have a better experience here for $60 a night then at the nearby international hotels at 4x the price, with worse service. I was in Cairo for a conference at the JW Mariott Mirage, where the service was terrible, the internet expensive, and the food and drink ridiculously overpriced, and which was virtually an open air prison because of the vast distances to anything worth seeing or doing; for the privilege, the inmates paid $300 a night.

I hope my review saves you making their mistake!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo