“Novotel lives up to its name at the El Borg location”

Novotel Cairo El Borg
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Before i booked this hotel, I went through the reviews very carefully to make sure we were aware of possible tourist traps and pitfalls.
Novotel El Borg was a pleasant surprise from some of the other Novotel's I have stayed at.

The hotel has a great location, very close to Tahrir Square (10 minute walk across the Nile bridge). The bridge i had to cross to get to Tahrir was very crowded, at almost all times in the day or night! Would recommend if you are walking with a group or with small children, it is better to just take a cab as the traffic darts in and out on the bridge.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, language was a bit of a barrier but we had someone in our group who spoke Arabic so it made things a lot easier. However, i don't think it would be a major problem even if we didn't have an Arabic speaker with us, the staff always had one individual at the front desk who spoke fluent English.

The hotel and its rooms were clean, and a decent size (for 2 persons), with the basic amenities. The internet was a bit expensive, i purchased a wireless prepaid card for EGP 140 (roughly USD 23) for a period of 24 hours BUT this card was valid for 7 days i.e. you need to use up 24 hours split up over 7 days, which is quite a lot, especially if you're on vacation.

In the Nile view rooms, it is true that you can hear the noise drifting up from the Nile boats cruising along until the early hours of the morning, but the noise was mostly muffled and didn't really bother us as it lent a special flavor to the whole experience of staying in a city as busy and exotic as Cairo. It's hard to keep quiet in a city with 23 million people!

There are small kiosk's at the corner of the same street the hotel is on, where you can buy water, snacks, soda's, phone cards, etc if you don't want to spend extra money in the hotel buying basic amenities. There are no other malls or shopping centers in walking distance, so if you need something extra like toiletries or need to goto a pharmacy, you will need to take a cab. DO NOT take the cabs right in front of the hotel, they will rob you blind, especially because they try to charge a fixed rate instead of going by the meter, which is what they are supposed to do. You can either tell them to switch on the meter or just walk a few feet away from the hotel and take a cab from the street.

Restaurants: The hotel's restaurants and in-room dining was nothing to write home about, the food was just palatable, but the restaurant on the roof has a spectacular view in the evening, and the food was better than the restaurant in the lobby.

Tour guides: I didn't see much of a difference between the tour guides/services provided by different vendors in Cairo, almost all of them had the same rates/features so its not a big deal to use the tour company located in the hotel lobby. It is very important to use a tour guide though as most of the major sights (pyramids, citadel, Khan Khalili bazaar, etc) are 45 mins - 1 hour away from the hotel (especially due to traffic) and you will need an English speaking guide and an air conditioned car/van to transport you back and forth. Taking cabs from the hotel for sightseeing everyday is not a good idea, the cabs are really old and don't look very comfortable. The closest tourist attraction to the hotel is the Museum which is quite large, would take at least half a day to see it in detail.

Yes, the hotel does not serve alcohol :-) But its not a big deal, you can just buy your own and bring it back if you want to drink. We were more interested in sightseeing so if we wanted to drink, we could go out to a restaurant elsewhere. I can say that we were out for dinner almost every evening, so if we wanted to drink , it wasn't an issue.

All in all, it was a good stay at the Novotel El Borg, if i had to point out any inefficiencies on their part it would be that the quality of food at the lobby restaurant needs to be improved and perhaps they need to setup a shuttle service from the hotel to some of the major tourist locations to help the tourists move around easier.

Most of the hotels along the Nile had similar views to the Novotel El Borg, if I went back to Cairo , i might try another hotel just to experience a different brand/location.

Good job done by Novotel El Borg's staff and management, keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Take the Nile view room, the noise might bother you but try to take a room on a higher floor. The vi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank movin_around
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Novotel Cairo El Borg
We value all feedback that we receive from our guest and will use it constructively towards improving the service that we provide. as such, I have discussed your comments regarding the quality of food in lobby restaurant , please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence

Satisfying our customers is of paramount importance and I hope we will have
an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment and regain your confidence in
our service.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We look forward to better
meeting your expectations upon your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Cairo El Borg

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Me and three collegues (3 girls, 1 guy) from work were invited to Cairo for 1 week to attend a friend's wedding. We stayed at Novotel El Borg and were very disappointed:
- The cleaning was bad! The towels were not changed even though we left them on the floor, the toilet and shower were not cleaned, and every morning when we left the room the cleaning guy asked if we needed cleaning (hoping we would say no).
- At the end of the week we brought one of our Egyptian friends up to our room for a beer before going out for dinner. He was our guide the whole week and we wanted to thank him. The guy at the reception saw us bring him upstairs and they started chasing us by calling our rooms and knocking on our doors. Apparently it is against the law to bring an Egyptian guest to the hotel. We ended up yelling in the lobby because the manager wanted to call the police. They were speaking in arab and refused to give us explanations. In the end they let us go without taking the identity of our friend, but only because we yelled in front of the other guests.
- In this hotel with muslim values, we were surprised to find that the massage guy is touching his female clients on body parts he shouldn't touch and checking under the bikini...
REALLY NOT WORTH IT! There are other hotels with nice managers in Cairo, don't pay for this one!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jessica S
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

regardin visits at rooms please note that the hotel is applying the ministry of tourism and tourism police regulations.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here here with my wife during the fag end of our Egypt trip, good business hotel with clean rooms,clean toilets, and a very nice cute little pool and jacuzzi.Great location overlooking the nile.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rajarshipanigrahi
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Dear Madame, Sir ,
First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg
we very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.
Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Nice hotel in good location just by the "Borg" (the tower of Cairo) right next to it is the 6th October bridge and floating boats of Blue nile and Saraya where you can have dinner and party on weekends.

everything was nice, clean room, clean bathroom and service was nice, very polite employees, the only thing that I didn't like was the noise from a maintenance guy cleaning windows early morning, and I couldn't sleep properly.

I might go back to the same hotel but after I make sure that there is no maintenance work in it. since it has a quite location, because generally in Egypt drives use the horns alot, even if the road is empty.. wierd!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the main road windows (nile view) drivers use the horns alot. check the room before you check...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank BuDavid

Dear Sir,
First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks!

Internet was WAY overpriced at 700 Egyption Punds per week and that was per machine! Too expensive for Egypt. Also- THERE IS NO BAR!!!! They do not serve alcohol. I was so shocked. It was really inconvenient to have to go to other hotels for a drink! The attached travel agency overcharged me for their car service a couple of times.....changing the price last minute.

Not everything was bad......room service and restaurant staff were nice and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may be better because rooms facing the Tower have to endure late evening...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Dear Madame,Sir

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Front desk staff lazy and unhelpful, I saw/heard several guests loosing their cool with them. Never got my wake up call - good thing I backed up with my iphone alarm. Had to have my room key replaced 4 TIMES in a 1 night stay. Had to ask 3 times for a extra pillow and ice bucket. Hotel is dry so if you like a cocktail/beer/wine there are a FEW other hotels in this area that supply, we had a mini fridge that was completely empty no soda or water but wouldn't have mattered anyway as it's only for show, it doesn't get cold at all !

I am a world travel and Cairo was the worst place I have been, thank God we only spend 1 night and a day to tour and then GET OUT! There is garbage everywhere, the worst infrastructure ever seen (ugly) - buildings are falling down every way, I have never seen thicker smog in my life the air pollution is unbelievable, beggars are very aggressive even with a local guide to back them off. The Nile river is a joke and filthy, it's full of flashing disco light boats all pumping out there own music trying to be louder then the next, we had to sleep with ear plugs but that still didn't do the trick completely, it went on until 3am in the morning.

I'm happy to have seen the ancient sites but I will NEVER go back!

Room Tip: There are other hotels for the same value that have a liquor license if that is something important...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LaBelle7226
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Dear Sir , Madame
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent
stay at Novotel Cairo El Borg.
We have noted your comments with regard to the absence of alcoholic drinks in the bar and the standard of hospitality provided by reception staff, and we can certainly appreciate your disappointment, please accept our apologies.
We value all feedback that we receive from our guest and will use it constructively towards improving the service that we provide In the same way, the front office staff has been advised of your comments.
They have been reminded that maintaining a high standard of hospitality is an essential part of their daily work. Every measure has been taken to ensure that all our guests are greeted with courtesy and professionalism.
Satisfying our customers is of paramount importance and I hope we will have an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment and regain your confidence in our service.
Yours sincerely,
Abdellati Gebril

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great central location in Cairo, every aspect was good except I find it weird & unacceptable that they do not allow us to take photograph in restaurant where we are now in the world of social media. Not only it causes some dissatisfaction to guest but also losses another chance of promoting via social media

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TommyOoi

Dear Madame,Sir

First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg
we very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg , regarding the photos in the public areas as we value the privacy of other customers , I assure to you that it was a misunderstanding we apologized for it.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Cairo El Borg