“Affordable quality Zamalek hotel with a fantastic view to the Nile made me stay 2 weeks”

Novotel Cairo El Borg
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Copenhagen
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was not supposed to have stayed at the Novotel Cairo El Borg for more than a few days. I ended up staying 2 weeks. So naturally I can recommend this hotel to business as well as leisure travelers. The hotel is conveniently located in Gezira / the island of Zamalek and you can easily reach many attractions by foot, car or boat !

The view from the Novotel Cairo El Borg is simply magnificent and it is the hotel's greatest asset. Rooms are standard Novotel rooms - but things generally work. I stayed at the 2nd floor for 1 week and the 6th floor for 1 week. Both worked, although the Nile facing view was slightly better from the 6th floor.

Second biggest asset of this hotel is without question the reception staff. They were extremely service-minded. That's important for frequent travelers.

Although I enjoyed my stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg, I must say that service in the lobby restaurant is outright appalling. Same goes for the breakfast service, which simply isn't worth the money.

The pool area works when it is not too crowded (it is very smallish).

I did not try room-service, but heard from others that food is good and service prompt.

Internet speed is an issue known to the management of the hotel. Like so many other Cairo hotels, Novotel are suffering from the very poor quality of their chosen service provider. As a business traveler this is a bit of an issue, however speed here is not as bad as at the Safir Hotel in Dokki, but definitely not as good as any of the Fairmont properties in Cairo.

All in all, the value for money at this hotel is exceptional. Other reviewers are so concerned about 3, 4, 5 stars. To me those are just numbers that really means very little. But I'd give this hotel 5 stars for the value for money.

I shall return.

PS: The minibar in the room was never refilled. Imagine that ! If I was the manager of the hotel, I would fix that immediately.

PPS: Beware of the dodgy tourist-trap taxi drivers outside the hotel. They are the worst kind of taxi drivers in Cairo. Will easily charge you 10-15 times more than the meter price.

Room Tip: Get a Nile facing view even if it costs you a little bit more. It is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank michaelleander
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Sir,
First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg
we very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.
Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

Abdellatif Gebril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ludhiana, India
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The 5 stars have been given due to exteremely bad reviews given by some people which make you start doubting NOVOTEL in a big way. It is definitely not as bad and definitely not a 5 star rating. But DEFINITELY between 3-4 star rating. more towards 3 i would say. But the location is excellent. Its nice and clean and has basic amenties which are not bad at all. The staff is friendly. Very central, expat area zamalek nearby. Opp the nile, which is less than a walking distance, very central, very bustling!
Two big boat (more like small ships) just opposite the hotel in the nile (almost walking distance) with many restaurants. The one on which i had food is EXCELLENT!! the other one most probably known as BLUE NILE serves liqour also.
Overall not disappointing.
Travel desk too damn expensive. For one trip i was quoted EL 2000 which i managed in less than LE 800.
Water only one small bottle provided per trip, not daily (which seems very odd!)
breakfast not very lavish, but basic bfst with cut salad, fruits, juices, some cereals etc. Hot buffet is bad. Hardly anything!
One more point: Pillows are really odd shaped! Definitely ask for a change of pillow if you want good sleep!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank vineet1973
Dear Sir

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Before i booked this hotel, I went through the reviews very carefully to make sure we were aware of possible tourist traps and pitfalls.
Novotel El Borg was a pleasant surprise from some of the other Novotel's I have stayed at.

The hotel has a great location, very close to Tahrir Square (10 minute walk across the Nile bridge). The bridge i had to cross to get to Tahrir was very crowded, at almost all times in the day or night! Would recommend if you are walking with a group or with small children, it is better to just take a cab as the traffic darts in and out on the bridge.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, language was a bit of a barrier but we had someone in our group who spoke Arabic so it made things a lot easier. However, i don't think it would be a major problem even if we didn't have an Arabic speaker with us, the staff always had one individual at the front desk who spoke fluent English.

The hotel and its rooms were clean, and a decent size (for 2 persons), with the basic amenities. The internet was a bit expensive, i purchased a wireless prepaid card for EGP 140 (roughly USD 23) for a period of 24 hours BUT this card was valid for 7 days i.e. you need to use up 24 hours split up over 7 days, which is quite a lot, especially if you're on vacation.

In the Nile view rooms, it is true that you can hear the noise drifting up from the Nile boats cruising along until the early hours of the morning, but the noise was mostly muffled and didn't really bother us as it lent a special flavor to the whole experience of staying in a city as busy and exotic as Cairo. It's hard to keep quiet in a city with 23 million people!

There are small kiosk's at the corner of the same street the hotel is on, where you can buy water, snacks, soda's, phone cards, etc if you don't want to spend extra money in the hotel buying basic amenities. There are no other malls or shopping centers in walking distance, so if you need something extra like toiletries or need to goto a pharmacy, you will need to take a cab. DO NOT take the cabs right in front of the hotel, they will rob you blind, especially because they try to charge a fixed rate instead of going by the meter, which is what they are supposed to do. You can either tell them to switch on the meter or just walk a few feet away from the hotel and take a cab from the street.

Restaurants: The hotel's restaurants and in-room dining was nothing to write home about, the food was just palatable, but the restaurant on the roof has a spectacular view in the evening, and the food was better than the restaurant in the lobby.

Tour guides: I didn't see much of a difference between the tour guides/services provided by different vendors in Cairo, almost all of them had the same rates/features so its not a big deal to use the tour company located in the hotel lobby. It is very important to use a tour guide though as most of the major sights (pyramids, citadel, Khan Khalili bazaar, etc) are 45 mins - 1 hour away from the hotel (especially due to traffic) and you will need an English speaking guide and an air conditioned car/van to transport you back and forth. Taking cabs from the hotel for sightseeing everyday is not a good idea, the cabs are really old and don't look very comfortable. The closest tourist attraction to the hotel is the Museum which is quite large, would take at least half a day to see it in detail.

Yes, the hotel does not serve alcohol :-) But its not a big deal, you can just buy your own and bring it back if you want to drink. We were more interested in sightseeing so if we wanted to drink, we could go out to a restaurant elsewhere. I can say that we were out for dinner almost every evening, so if we wanted to drink , it wasn't an issue.

All in all, it was a good stay at the Novotel El Borg, if i had to point out any inefficiencies on their part it would be that the quality of food at the lobby restaurant needs to be improved and perhaps they need to setup a shuttle service from the hotel to some of the major tourist locations to help the tourists move around easier.

Most of the hotels along the Nile had similar views to the Novotel El Borg, if I went back to Cairo , i might try another hotel just to experience a different brand/location.

Good job done by Novotel El Borg's staff and management, keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Take the Nile view room, the noise might bother you but try to take a room on a higher floor. The vi...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank movin_around
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Novotel Cairo El Borg
We value all feedback that we receive from our guest and will use it constructively towards improving the service that we provide. as such, I have discussed your comments regarding the quality of food in lobby restaurant , please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence

Satisfying our customers is of paramount importance and I hope we will have
an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment and regain your confidence in
our service.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We look forward to better
meeting your expectations upon your next stay.
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Me and three collegues (3 girls, 1 guy) from work were invited to Cairo for 1 week to attend a friend's wedding. We stayed at Novotel El Borg and were very disappointed:
- The cleaning was bad! The towels were not changed even though we left them on the floor, the toilet and shower were not cleaned, and every morning when we left the room the cleaning guy asked if we needed cleaning (hoping we would say no).
- At the end of the week we brought one of our Egyptian friends up to our room for a beer before going out for dinner. He was our guide the whole week and we wanted to thank him. The guy at the reception saw us bring him upstairs and they started chasing us by calling our rooms and knocking on our doors. Apparently it is against the law to bring an Egyptian guest to the hotel. We ended up yelling in the lobby because the manager wanted to call the police. They were speaking in arab and refused to give us explanations. In the end they let us go without taking the identity of our friend, but only because we yelled in front of the other guests.
- In this hotel with muslim values, we were surprised to find that the massage guy is touching his female clients on body parts he shouldn't touch and checking under the bikini...
REALLY NOT WORTH IT! There are other hotels with nice managers in Cairo, don't pay for this one!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jessica S
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

regardin visits at rooms please note that the hotel is applying the ministry of tourism and tourism police regulations.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here here with my wife during the fag end of our Egypt trip, good business hotel with clean rooms,clean toilets, and a very nice cute little pool and jacuzzi.Great location overlooking the nile.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rajarshipanigrahi
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear Madame, Sir ,

Bahrain
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Nice hotel in good location just by the "Borg" (the tower of Cairo) right next to it is the 6th October bridge and floating boats of Blue nile and Saraya where you can have dinner and party on weekends.

everything was nice, clean room, clean bathroom and service was nice, very polite employees, the only thing that I didn't like was the noise from a maintenance guy cleaning windows early morning, and I couldn't sleep properly.

I might go back to the same hotel but after I make sure that there is no maintenance work in it. since it has a quite location, because generally in Egypt drives use the horns alot, even if the road is empty.. wierd!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the main road windows (nile view) drivers use the horns alot. check the room before you check...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank BuDavid
Dear Sir,

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks!

Internet was WAY overpriced at 700 Egyption Punds per week and that was per machine! Too expensive for Egypt. Also- THERE IS NO BAR!!!! They do not serve alcohol. I was so shocked. It was really inconvenient to have to go to other hotels for a drink! The attached travel agency overcharged me for their car service a couple of times.....changing the price last minute.

Not everything was bad......room service and restaurant staff were nice and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may be better because rooms facing the Tower have to endure late evening...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo